1.8TSI and 2.0TSI engine failures

DGW

I try to ignore this thread as best as I can but always come back to it worrying - especially now as my manufacturer warranty runs out in 5 days.

From the first page am I correct that the vast majority of those affected have been pre-2011 and 2.0 litre engines?

Just trying to put the risk of my 2011 1.8TSi into perspective and figuring out whether the age and engine size is relevant.  The lack of  post-2011 1.8's with problems could be down to the new tensioner in CW 20, 2010 combined with a different engine, or just that there aren't as many of them around and they are newer?

I am in a similar position to you. My 1.8TSI has the first tensioner revision - but there have been 2 more since, and the chain has been revised recently too. Whilst the 2.0TSI engine seems to feature more in the list of failures, that may be because there are more of them. There are March 2012 and June 2012 engines in that list. The latter should have the latest tensioner fitted, and the other the third version.

You could do what I have done and buy 2 years of Skoda Approved Warranty and Breakdown Cover. Similar cover is available cheaper through the CSMA if you are eligible to join, or there is WarrantyWise and Warranty Direct. Alternatively you could pay a bit more and have the latest tensioner and chain fitted by a Skoda dealer, giving you a 2 year warranty on the parts fitted.

My advice is to start upgrading/modifying it as soon the warranty runs out. There are several benefits, firstly component failure becomes an opportunity for improvement; the more it fails the better the car gets, result is that instead of fretting about warranty and failure, you'll welcome it!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

How much do the chain/tensioner cost, this latest revision? What are the part numbers of this newest set?

Should we trust this new tensioner that it wont fail, or too early to judge?

My engine is 1.8, build date April 2010, so probably the second revision tensioner.

Cheers.

Edited by CEPi

How much do the chain/tensioner cost, this latest revision? What are the part numbers of this newest set?

My engine is 1.8, build date April 2010, so probably the second revision tensioner.

Cheers.

The tensioner was first modified from May 2010, so your car will have the first version. It's between £300 and £600 to have the latest version tensioner fitted, more if you replace the chain and all the recommended single-use bolts etc

God sake. I just changes the water pump as it failed, at 400 euro cost, now changing chain/tensioner voluntarily is a disaster!!

Cheers.

As has been suggested in this thread you could consider a warranty instead. At least then other expensive repairs are covered too.

No extended warranty for older cars here. Skoda, well precisely Porsche Holding Austria which controls VW business in Eastern Europe, just started now to offer extended warranty of extra 2/3y but only the new purchases of cars from late 2013, and you have 30 days after purchase of the car, a chance to purchase extended warranty, so I'm not eligible.

Edited by CEPi

No extended warranty for older cars here. Skoda, well precisely Porsche Holding Austria which controls VW business in Eastern Europe, just started now to offer extended warranty of extra 2/3y but only the new purchases of cars from late 2013, so I'm not eligible.

What about independent warranties?

I extended the warranty on my 2010 TSI Octavia vRS last year, Skoda approved warranty for additional two years £550 included Skoda assist for two more years. Did not seem too bad a deal to me, will probably sell the car when the warranty expires.

Nothing like that, you buy your car at the official dealer, and service it there for 2y factory warranty, third year its half you, half dealer who pays costs of failures, so from fourth year you are on your own, except if you bought a new cars now and have a chance for extra warranty as I stated earlier.. You get 2y warranty on all genuine parts changed from dealer.

No one sells extra warranty, sure loads of good independents, so most people in major failures, import second hand parts from Europe and change them.

@Zillio - was that £550 for both years or per year, and was it by calling Skoda direct?  That seems a good price compared to the minimum of £400+ I got from an Audi link I saw on this or one of the other threads, and that was after setting the mileage to max 15K and £250 excess.

The Skoda Approved Extended Warranty and Assistance (administered by Car Care Plan Limited) is sold by Skoda dealers, not Skoda UK. Ring Vindis Skoda in Cambridge - who sold me my 2 year one - and ask if they will sell you one. There is no need to have the car inspected first if it is still within the manufacturer's warranty period. Progress Skoda in Letchworth should also quote you. Don't bother trying Wayside Skoda in Milton Keynes as they have no knowledge of the existence of such a warranty.

Quick update - my local dealer said it wasn't possible to buy from a dealer!  The next nearest dealer has quoted 12 months at £395/£365 and 24 months at £625/£545 in both cases prices are with/without Skoda Assist.

I would opt for paying £625 for 2 years. One of the quotes I got was well over £800 for that cover! Just do it and you will have instant peace of mind for 2 years.

P.S. The cover is Europe wide.

i posted this information in another thread about changing the tensioner but it might be useful to have it here.

These are the various timing chain tensioner part numbers and revision dates for the CDAA, CCZA and CDAB engines.

06H 109 467N >> 26.04.2010

06H 109 467T 27.04.2010 >> 29.08.2011

06H 109 467AB 30.08.2011 >> 04.03.2012

06K 109 467K 05.03.2012 >>

All of the tensioners other than the 467K version have been dropped and must not be used as spare (replacement) parts. That revision cost £38.40 inclusive of VAT when I last checked with TPS on 27.2.14.

The camshaft timing chain was also revised earlier this year. The original part number is 06H 109 158M and the revised part number is 06H 109 158AA. The price of the latter was £59.05 when checked on 27.2.14.

Affected engines:

CDAA = 118KW 160HP 1.8TSI

CDAB = 112KW 150HP 1.8TSI

CCZA = 147KW 200HP 2.0TSI

• Like 1

Yep all in for both years.

@Zillio - was that £550 for both years or per year, and was it by calling Skoda direct? That seems a good price compared to the minimum of £400+ I got from an Audi link I saw on this or one of the other threads, and that was after setting the mileage to max 15K and £250 excess.

Is it true that most of these failures are DSG boxes and a little less Manual gearboxes, or spread about same?

Cheers.

Difficult to say because we don't get enough information to track a trend. Of the 33 Octavia and Golf failures I know about, 7 were DSG, one was manual, and 25 I don't know. So from the information I've been able to find it's not possible to say that cars with one gearbox type fail more than another. I can't see why the gearbox would affect it myself, unless it was a manual left in gear and allowed to roll backwards, turning the engine backwards and putting stress on the tensioner, but that's just a theory.

Yes that was the theory, but I re-read the thread on same issue. It was suggested that DSG parked in P migh allow some reverse roll to pressure the tensioner, but it seems the DSG in P is disengaged from wheels or so.

Will check this week how much the parts are at the local dealer, and I think I will go with voluntary change of tensioner. Done about 43K miles.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this has happened to my 2010 VRS TSI not even 40k on clock. Just e-mailing UK dealer that has serviced it to see if they can help.

From the dealer but they say Tensioner OK, but I understand it only has to happen once and this then destroys the engine.

It's your engine...

In first ,inlet valves,intake valves with complete cylinder head,no compression in engine and noise

Maybe more:

Pistons,crankshaft,connecting rod

= complete engineIt's your engine...

In first ,inlet valves,intake valves with complete cylinder head,no compression in engine and noise

Maybe more:

Pistons,crankshaft,connecting rod

= complete engine