stigma returns

ken b

I have had Audi and BMW, I chose the Skoda and got a fair bit of ribbing, however, I find passing the keys to somebody who is taking the urine or taking them out for a spin they soon shut up, especially when you tell them what you paid for the car, they can see the trim level etc.

Our MD has a new A6, "look at my Audi" he keeps bleating, a few weeks ago we went to a customer in my Yeti, after 2 minutes he was silent, his Audi doesn't have touch display for phone and media, his Audi doesn't have leather and heated seats, his Audi couldn't go the customer as it was snowing and hardly moved in the snow, he also mentioned how much his Audi cost and it was a lot more than they Yeti, so who cares what badge is on it, just lift the bonnet or look through the wheels at the calipers, you will see VW or Audi stamped everywhere, so it isn't about the badge, it is in the breeding.

I do find this pretty ridiculous.

Like most people on here I'm sure, I could choose to spend more on a car with a more prestigious badge but I choose not to.

Normally in life you get what you pay for, but thanks to the VAG groups badge engineering it's not the case with these cars. Generally Audi's are just Skoda's with a more squishy interior and anyone who knows anything about cars knows this.

I for one would rather have a less squishy interior and more money for other things in life.

• Like 1

you are close to the mark there bobnaldo, my personal experience is that with the Audi you get less inside the car, but you do get gas struts to open your bonnet, electronic handbrake and a bit more sound proofing.

One of our reps had the choice of any Skoda car except the Superb on our company car list, there was only one Audi on there, an A3 1.6 diesel base trim, this is the car he chose as it was an Audi.

Each to there own I guess.

my first skoda was a V reg octavia estate, that was good, did not mind the styling

i was pleasantly surprised by build quality and value for money

have had various other models until i had a roomster, was not overly happy with front end and the side view where it seems to be a cut and shut due to varing door hieghts but again value for money and practicality won over and as i used to say to colleague who took the mick, "i don't see the outside when i am driving, and i agree the external styling could be better, but how much did you xxxx cost??"

now have GLII again not to happy with front styling but the reason i bought it was value for money,practicality, reliability and economy

and i have the last laugh when my colleagues take the mick when filling in milage forms for expenses, we get 40p/mile and my GLII costs on average 11p/mile so i make 30p and they make less than 10p a mile

the rapid does look better / less quirky so i can see a bit better mass market appeal but then cost cutting on the interior plastics etc and high price (compared to what we are used, but average compared to other makes) means few past skoda customers are going to be looking at it seriously, but with badge snobery i doubt many non skoda customers will look at it either

I love the Skoda snobbery debate.

I own a fabia sport 1.9pd and a superb 170dsg and love them both.

The fabia is the best small car I have driven. It's better than a polo, golf, A class, Ibiza all of which I have owned. It is a really nice drive, the engine is great and have not had an issue with it in 72k! Being the sport it also looks nice.

My superb is brilliant. I have had a nothing but praise for it from people. Its an elegance so is pretty well equiped.However there are a few who would rather walk than get in it.

I nearly bought another E class (had a few mercs) befor I decided on the superb. The salesman was calling me regularly before I had committed to the superb. When I told him I had bought a Skoda it went silent. He hasn't called since.

If the badges are getting on your nerves, just remove them and have no badges??

I love the Skoda snobbery debate.

I own a fabia sport 1.9pd and a superb 170dsg and love them both.

The fabia is the best small car I have driven. It's better than a polo, golf, A class, Ibiza all of which I have owned. It is a really nice drive, the engine is great and have not had an issue with it in 72k! Being the sport it also looks nice.

My superb is brilliant. I have had a nothing but praise for it from people. Its an elegance so is pretty well equiped.However there are a few who would rather walk than get in it.

I nearly bought another E class (had a few mercs) befor I decided on the superb. The salesman was calling me regularly before I had committed to the superb. When I told him I had bought a Skoda it went silent. He hasn't called since.

If the badges are getting on your nerves, just remove them and have no badges??

The Superb a thorn in the sides of Audi mercedes and BMW lol

Just read this..................

To the OP....................if you are having second doubts about the badges saying Skoda then get rid of the car!!!

Even if you swap the badges to the new no name logos it is still a Skoda logo and defo a Skoda car!

The only reason to swap to the newer badges is to make the car look "cleaner" and slightly "newer".....

I will nevr get rid of my 12yr old badges which are now "retro" style......................

• Like 1

See if i win the euro millions in the near future im gonna employ someone to follow you around and quietly whisper "its a skoda" every few seconds :D

Have to say this has been one of the most amusing threads in a while :)

This is not ment as an attack on the op, tis mearly a joke

You buy a Skoda and don't like the badge..You have been shown alternative badges but you don't know how to fit them.

Not learnt much in 62 years have you?

I don't normally adopt an aggressive approach on forums,I try to be helpful and friendly.

...but when faced with downright stupidity there is sometimes no choice.

Badge snobbery is alive and kicking , however its got a lot better over the years IMO , I love skoda and careless for people's views on it , badge snobbery usually comes from pure ignorance in cars and comes from people driving French crap or similar , people which know about cars understand how good skodas really are, the skip jokes are long gone now thank god , I think the Korean cars are in the same position as skoda was in the 70/80/90 but eventually the mantel will be passed to the Chinese and so the story continues

I find the stigma hilarious generally, end of the day I got VW Polo or Seat Ibiza but paying a lot less for it.

Also quite hilarious to see how offended some people are when you over take them.

Few days ago I was coming up to a Mondeo 2.0 Zetec following a Hilux both doing about 50 in a 60 zone, there was a chance for the Mondeo to overtake and he didn't. So I decided to overtake him, I did not have the room to take both of them now as I waited for the Mondeo to go and he didn't.

So after I pull back in the gap between them due to aproching solid white line and blind bend, the Mondeo decides he is offended to be overtaken by a Skoda Fabia, so overtakes me and the Hilux on solid white lines going round the bend, car come the other way had to slam their anchors on and the Hilux had to slam his anchors on to let the Mondeo back in (Just). hairy moment for all involved thanks to the idiot in the Mondeo.

But it gets better, after the bend I had a safe chance to over take the Hilux so did, further up I could see the Mondeo trying for another stupid overtake, he only just got back in on the right side of the road again so nearly trashed his car and other people twice now within half a mile of driving, just because I overtook him.

Anyway I had another safe chance to overtake and was right behind this Mondeo now, so started flashing and beeping at him to try and get him to pull over, to which he ignored me, gets closer to town and I get a chance to pull up next to him with the window down to say whats your problem why you risking peoples lives making ridiculous maneuvers? His response was **** off and just kept ignoring me when I tried to talk to him, road rage moment then broke out nearly. Lights change to green and he goes to pull off so I pulled off rather vigorously with a cloud of smoke then cuts across in front of him where he then stayed behind me, I so wanted to get out and knock him out to be honest, all I could think is what if it was my Wife coming the other way.

So angry about it, I am all for fast driving, but overtaking 2 cars going round a bend with solid white lines is pure idiotic. An all just because a Skoda Fabia overtook him.

I've found that most of my mates are quite happy to take the **** out of it (a few BMW drivers, a Vectra and a Corsa drivers) but my mates actually into cars just want to take it for a blast

• Like 1

Am I the only person who takes great pleasure in telling people that i own a skoda and not just one but had 3!. If someone asks me what i drive i don't even try to be illusive and say "VRS" i just say "a skoda". For me thats enough to show someone clever enough to understand that i apreciate good engineering whilst not stupid enough to pay over the odds for a car. Im old enough to remember the stigma and used to partake in the jokes about rear window screen heaters were to keep your hands warm whilst pushing. Just shows how far the cars have come since they became part of VAG and that anyone who does still think they have a stigma then im glad they don't own a skoda as they would just devalue the brand. If your driving a skoda and wish the badge was different then your missing the point don't change the badge take a long look in the mirror and deal with your image / self confidence issues first.

• Like 4