Interior bonnet release lever

The bonnet release lever in the driver passenger footwell was damaged when I got the car and there's basically nothing holding it in place. It drops off and is really hard to use to open the bonnet release.

I've bought a replacement for it and want to see if I can fit it myself. But I've got two problems:

1. There's a retaining clip (show in image partially open) which (on a working lever) I guess holds it in place and prevents it from simply falling off. Trouble is, that access to this clip is behind the moulded panel of the footwell side, so I can't see how I'd get the clip in and closed once I put the new handle on without taking the panel off. If I have to take the panel off, any advice (videos?) on how to do that?

7dLtU0o.jpg

I can try just pushing the new lever on with the clip already in place, but I don't want to damage it.

2. You can see in the second image, which shows what the lever attaches to in the footwell panel, that one of the 12 teeth is missing. Will this put too much strain on the other teeth or on the lever so it will break again, or am I likely to get away with it?

kvGl4th.jpg

Ideas?

Skoda Fabia 1.4 16V

Engine: BBZ