Imagine a Yeti with the spare tire on back

XueRen

When come cross a local forum I found this sketch,It looks like a rear module of the facelift Yeti.

to imagine the effect, I put it to an existing Yeti picture with photo tools,what do you think about?

post-73602-0-33614200-1362500374_thumb.jpg

post-73602-0-14965400-1362500425_thumb.jpg

I think it's a great idea looks wise but it would mean a gate type boot door, and I'm not a fan of them plus the yeti boot offers good rain protection with the current boot.

• Like 1

I can't work out how you would open the hatch?

As said manufacturers are going away from rear mounted spares;

they are heavy to lift,

you get dirty lifting them,

the mountings and hinges need to be very strong,

they are not secure,

the smallest bump on them does panel damage,

they get in the way of towing hitches,

they obscure the rear view slightly,

they look silly with a flat tyre on them,

and generally they are a bloody nuisance!! (having lived with them for 7 years!!)

• Like 1

I can't work out how you would open the hatch?

As said manufacturers are going away from rear mounted spares;

they are heavy to lift,

you get dirty lifting them,

the mountings and hinges need to be very strong,

they are not secure,

the smallest bump on them does panel damage,

they get in the way of towing hitches,

they obscure the rear view slightly,

they look silly with a flat tyre on them,

and generally they are a bloody nuisance!! (having lived with them for 7 years!!)

And lets not forget, for all the people that:

• Have a hissy fit
  • Spit their dummies
  • Shine a bright shade of purple
  • Write to their local paper/MP

About the inabilty of car manufacurers to fit the 'correct' size of spare or, indeed, fit a spare at all - the idea of a full performance spare tyre is experiencing a slow & painful death.

As tyre technology moves on, (upper-end) car tyres are beginning to follow the same path that motorcycle tyres have been following for years - viz, they are directional. Unless you are prepared to carry two spare tyres, it's time to learn to love your can of gloop (not literally, please, not literally :whew: )

And, as Brijo correctly points out, emissions categories are also affecting the decision to include spares or not (as well as making our windscreens dangerously thin :@ )

Edited by Skoda Al Coda
  • Like 1

Horrible idea, as stated above.

There was some chatter last year about a longer wheelbase 7 seater for the Chinese market.

I have a suspicion that the spare on the boot thing relates to that alone.

Since the OP says (i) that they are in China, and (ii) that the sketch was found on "a local forum", I suspect that this is probably all about the Chinese version. Someone over there has had a go at visualizing how it might look, perhaps (and if so then they've made a pretty good job of it as well, IMO). It doubt that it originated anywhere within VAG.

Edited by ejstubbs

Since the OP says (i) that they are in China, and (ii) that the sketch was found on "a local forum", I suspect that this is probably all about the Chinese version. Someone over there has had a go at visualizing how it might look, perhaps (and if so then they've made a pretty good job of it as well, IMO). It doubt that it originated anywhere within VAG.

Isn't that the version by Shuanghuan? :)

Never thought to look where the OP was from.

That would explain it then.

That is a quick and dirty photoshop job - the wheel can't mount like that (be mounted on the hatch door AND clear the upper bumper). You'd need a modified bumper or a wheel mounted on a cage holding it some distance from the hatch door.

Low and behold, here is the original image...

Skoda-Yeti_4x4_2011_800x600_wallpaper_08.jpg

Wow that looks great.

You are joking, I hope?

As Weasley says, it is a very, very poor Photoshop sketch. If you note the "spare" is actually bigger than the fitted wheels!!

And quite frankly would be impossible to do it like this.

Can you imagine the weight of the rear hatch with a wheel and tyre on it?

How would you make the hatch stay up?

Put it on the roof like the Germans did when travelling across America. It fits in the basket that fits to the roofbars.

Just don't ask me to put it up there or take it down.

:lol:

Sent using Tapatalk from my Phone

Why would I be joking graham? Because you don't like the look of it?

I think it's alright, shows what the car could look like as a Serious mud plugger. I don't care that they haven't spent ages making it look perfect, and really who cares! It's a bit of fun.

Edited by Dinski

Fine.

One mans meat is another mans poison.

But it is still totally impractical.

Wasn't there an SUV that had the external spare mounted on a frame hinged at the side so that it swung out of the way?

tom

There have been several "swing away" spare wheel mounts fitted to many vehicles, but I can't think of one with a hatchback rear door. The "picture" here does not appear to show such a thing fitted.

Ford has just launched a baby SUV with a rear mounted spare in Europe. It was designed in and is basically for South America where they like rear mounted spare wheels. Ford of Europe was vetoed to not have it there and now this runt is coming to grace our shores as is. Being Fiesta based the wheel is tiny though.

Just Google Ford Ecosport

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&biw=320&bih=416&site=webhp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=ford+ecosport+europe&oq=ford+ecosport+europe&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.3..0.59162.60807.0.61572.7.3.0.4.4.0.198.422.0j3.3.0...0.0...1ac.1.5.mobile-gws-serp.u_AMDmNXutE#p=0

I don't like it BUT on the OP's images it does make sense on the Yeti. We know there's going to be two versions come facelift time. One more off road type (perhaps with rear mounted spare?) and a "city" version (perhaps with low profile tyres and full body colour bumpers and valances?).

If they can make it technically work and gives me a circa 100 litre bigger boot... Why not? An accident from behind is an accident from behind. Wether they have to repair a bumper and hatch or that plus a spare, what's the difference?