APR or Shark

The responses to this are simply going to be from customers of each of the respective companies recommending them I'd imagine... Which is no bad thing I guess. I'm firmly in the Shark camp as they have bent over backwards to provide the best customer experience I've yet received in over 15 years of having owned tuned cars. In terms of the quality of the software - it's by far the best also and I've had Jabba (another good example of map/service IMO), Superchips inc a Bluefin unit, four Revo maps, Celtic tuning... Shark Performance seem to have things fully developed before they allow the code to hit your ECU - something I'm very keen on! :)

• Like 1

Shark everytime for me. Had their stage 1 map on my now sold Superb MK2, transformed the car and was very smooth throughout the power band.

The way I see it is this,

Shark, small company and so have great customer service, you can talk to the person who creates the maps, and always available at the end of the phone if you have any queries.

APR, a large company based in the USA. Whilst you can talk to the person who applied the map at their agent, you cannot get to talk to the person who creates the maps in the USA.

For petrol engines - It's worth pointing out that using the STS system from Shark you can revert back to original map setting in under 5 minutes. Whilst you can cycle through the different APR maps (for different fuel RON ratings and std) you have to go back to the agent to reflash the original map. The Shark map works fine with 95 RON fuel as well.

• Like 1

I have the exact same dilemma... Shark or APR?

Sharks reputation is very very good.

But APR software suits my particular car a bit better

and has more features.

Shark on mine ( i am a tad biassed :giggle: )

When you say APR 'suits you car better' how do you mean? Shark can cater for most circumstances, mods tuning options etc.

I have the exact same dilemma... Shark or APR?

Sharks reputation is very very good.

But APR software suits my particular car a bit better

and has more features.

Shark have had a good few newer S3's up there for remaps while Ive been there with my car so there must be some owners on Audi forums to ask Id guess? :) The thing is, unless you've tried both its difficult to give a comparative opinion really. As Ive said before, its not just the big things that Shark do right, its the little things too. The last time I left their premises, I'd just put the old exhaust downpipe in the car (with the rear seat down).... Ben wouldnt let me leave until he'd run around finding boxes to tear up for the cardboard as he didnt want the exhaust moving around in the car and rubbing a piece of trim or rubbing on the leather. As I say, a little thing perhaps but I know they really look after the car and want the best for it in all aspects of their work. :)

• Like 1

When you say APR 'suits you car better' how do you mean? Shark can cater for most circumstances, mods tuning options etc.

Audi Performance and Racing (I stand corrected... Ta W8 :thumbup:)

The APR software has a few different settings and is controlled with the cruise control stalk.

These include, re mapped power map, standard map, valet mode (Boost off to prevent your car

being ragged by spanner monkeys) and full engine lockout (even with the keys your car won't

start until correct code is entered.) Plus free upgrades through the stages if I want to go for it.

I'm expecting the lot to come in at about £750 from APR, but need cruise retro fitted first to be

able to get the best from the system. My indy has been trying to sell me Revo software but

I'm reluctant as I'm not after an aggressive upgrade. He was trying to tell me how rubbish

APR are but then he would wouldn't he?

I know Shark offer the STS box but that's an extra bit of hardware floating around the car and I

think using the cruise stalk is a spark of genius. Keeps the car looking unmolested and OE

Up until a few months ago I only heard good things about Shark. Only one person has had problems but then he's had tuning by almost everyone. People speak highly of Shark so I'd probably go with them. APR are still a good option and some of their kits are impressive

Audi Performance and Racing.

There are lots of good things going on with APR at the moment and there are a few really nice cars being turned out with their Scirroco and Golf R. They are on quite an aggressive UK push at the moment.

Try and drive a few cars and see what you prefer, or at least get a passenger ride in them.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

There is what can only be described as vicious hand-to-hand combat on the Audi TT forums where people have had their cars mapped at APR and had issues. There is a guy on there who (voluntarily) has had his car at APR in Milton Keynes for almost a year and it's only just running now. Not finished - just running in after something (they won't say what, but it must have been bad) required a complete engine build.

Maybe they're great, maybe they're not. What I do know is I have Ben Wardle's mobile number and he ALWAYS picks up, and he ALWAYS talks sense. I've taken my cars up there for work other tuners won't do because it's too much hassle or because no-one as done it before. Shark are quite happy to do ANYTHING a customer asks (that won't damage the car). It's not always the cheapest, and they don't always finish it on day one, but they've never taken my car off the road for a year and I always end up grinning and shaking everyone warmly by the hand. And I don't get special treatment by any stretch of the imagination.

If you go APR, you'll doubtless get a decent remap. If you go Shark, you're likely to end up another Shark evangelist!

• Like 1

Looks like I'll be going for a shark by Clive @cntuning.

What bhp am I looking at? 2006 octy vrs petrol. The insurance company will probably ask.

• Like 2

You sound slightly underwhelmed compared to most responses after a remap. For most the extra torque and power makes a big difference.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

My thoughts exactly!

Mine felt like it had a rocket up its ar5e after my vRS was mapped.

Not sure what to expect. I haven't really thrashed it, who gone out full whack I guess. What should I be looking for?