Remap and subsequent fuel efficiency

So you just have to do the calculation, is the cost of the remap (and telling your insurers to avoid attracting the loathsome wrath of sanctimonious forum-dwellers) offset by the supposed fuel savings? How many miles would you have to do to make it worth the £'s.

• Like 1

So you just have to do the calculation, is the cost of the remap (and telling your insurers to avoid attracting the loathsome wrath of sanctimonious forum-dwellers) offset by the supposed fuel savings? How many miles would you have to do to make it worth the £'s.

I've been quoted £250 for a Shark remap.

Using http://www.fuel-economy.co.uk/calc.shtml it suggests that 100 miles at roughly 52MPG (my average at present) with diesel being £1.44 a litre right now, gives a total cost of £12.58

If I change the MPG to 57, the total cost for the same is £11.48 (saving £1.10 every 100 miles).

So, assuming efficiency improves (but by only 5mpg) and insurance cost doesn't increase, I'm looking at breaking even after approx 22,500 miles.

That, in itself, is not a great saving. However, a nicer drive over 22,500 miles is probably worth the £250 alone anyway, right?

I've been quoted £250 for a Shark remap.

Using http://www.fuel-economy.co.uk/calc.shtml it suggests that 100 miles at roughly 52MPG (my average at present) with diesel being £1.44 a litre right now, gives a total cost of £12.58

If I change the MPG to 57, the total cost for the same is £11.48 (saving £1.10 every 100 miles).

So, assuming efficiency improves (but by only 5mpg) and insurance cost doesn't increase, I'm looking at breaking even after approx 22,500 miles.

That, in itself, is not a great saving. However, a nicer drive over 22,500 miles is probably worth the £250 alone anyway, right?

Definitely right with the added fun factor!

Edited by billywhiz040480

Stage 1 Software: £495

Stage 2 Software: £50

Stage 2 Hardware: £690

Increased Insurance Premium: £35

Change in fuel costs: £??

Wearing a huge grin every time you push the loud pedal: Priceless :)

• Like 1

Mine was 2-5 MPG better on my journey home (from Shark) but lets be honest we get a remap for mainly one reason & MPG is generally not the reason. That said i'm sure a handful do get a remap for MPG reasons. As for insurance it should go up & this is dependant on your location & other factors - not an easy question to put a number on but i'll try mine went up £70 to £400. Pre gender rule change it was IRO £30 increase :wall: .

I must say I've had my map for 3 & 1/2 weeks now & it's absolutely cracking - don't regret it & the addititonal premuim is not worth worrying about given the knowledge the car is still legit from an insurers point of view.

So you think it's Ok to screw the rest of the honest premium paying public, cos that's who usually foots the bill through increased premiums when it all goes tits up? Responsibility is what's needed, and less of the "see what I can get away with attitude".

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

So you think it's Ok to screw the rest of the honest premium paying public, cos that's who usually foots the bill through increased premiums when it all goes tits up? Responsibility is what's needed, and less of the "see what I can get away with attitude".

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

It's not a remap that determines how safe a car is. It's the nut behind the wheel. I'm really struggling with the drug-dealing analogy here.

I never said you should lie to your insurance company.

And I don't believe you really think there is no difference between peddling drugs and insurance fraud - but nice try.

Actually no. The rest of us were discussing remaps and fuel economy. Then we got the usual holier-than-thou crap about insurance fraud and how its very very naughty almost like selling drugs on street corners. Well my Skoda driving friend, I urge you to spend a few hours on a real street corner - suggest Manchester as that's near to you - explaining this to the folks you'll meet there. Seeing as you know so much about the subject.

If I was going to remap my car, I wouldn't go bragging about it, even anonymously on the internet. PLEASE NOTE I DO NOT HAVE MY CAR REMAPPED.

Then again, if I met someone in real life who had done, and then bragged about not telling their insurance, I wouldn't say anything at the time, but it would probably have a negative effect on my opinion of them.

On the internet, I don't really give a stuff. You can say what you want.

• Like 2

The last time this type of thread went this way and I was involved, I was called and I quote a "******* retard". I found that extremely offensive. Then again I didn't go whining about it.

For one last time, my position on this is as follows.

1) I do not advocate remaps.

2) You can of course remap if you want to.

3) IF you do remap, its up to YOU whether or not to tell your insurance company.

Don't let anyone tell you different.

The last time this type of thread went this way and I was involved, I was called and I quote a "******* retard". I found that extremely offensive. Then again I didn't go whining about it.

For one last time, my position on this is as follows.

1) I do not advocate remaps.

2) You can of course remap if you want to.

3) IF you do remap, its up to YOU whether or not to tell your insurance company.

Don't let anyone tell you different.

Agreed, but your choice of #3 can have financial consequences on others. That was my point. As it happens I do advocate remaps: big change for little ££s and in my experience cost £30 additional premium, but to be honest it's something you wold do as a performance gain, not as a fuel eco investment.

Ultimately we can all do as we please, so long as it doesn't infringe unfairly on others :)

I think overall once the cars mapped with a reputable mapper you should see an improvement in mpg when the cars driven in a normal semsible manner, when thrashed it may be worse but if thats what floats your boat the increased smile factor will be worth it. However you drive the car should feel more responsive & be a nicer car to drive

With a proper bespoke map rather than an off the shelf stage 1 2 etc they can be slightly tailored more for economy or performance. If you are considering any other mods in the future that relate to the engine, ie different exhaust etc you are best getting these done before the car is mapped.

With any map the car should be smooth so when you are testing it as well as a good smile enducing thrash always try driving the car gently & look for flat spots or any unusual / uneven running as that can hi lite a poor map or maybe other issues with the car. The best maps are always when done with the use of a rolling road, that gives the added option which is especially useful on older cars of running the car before mapping to make sure everythings working as it should. No point shelling out on a map if a maf etc isnt working properly

I wont comment on Insurance as thats been done to death and more already

Point taken!

Dont bother mate.

Too much moral high horse nonsense on here. What you have done is not that serious as you still have 3rd party insurance cover so the only victim would be you, financially.

I never declared any cars i mapped and was well aware of the consequences. To date i havent heard of a single case of someone having their insurance invalidated due to an undeclared map but even if it has happened your not putting anyone elses life at risk so why people feel the need to preach at you is ridiculous. You crash into them they receive an insurance payout so whats the problem? There isnt one. You would receive an insurnace payout also as i seriously doubt they would check for a map. Some folk on here cant help themselves and jump at the chance to climb on their high horse.

Forgot to say i have neve rnoticed any MPG improvements on any car i have ever mapped but the economy ceratinly never got worse. If you plan to remap to save money then forget it as it will take forever to recoup the cost of the map.

Edited by Jockdooshbag
  • Like 2

Oh i said in an earlier post that your 3rd party cover will not be voided however if they ask you "is your car modified?" and you say "no" ignoring the fact you have a remap you will be guity of making a false/fraudulent statement to obtain insurance - prison could result

Oh i said in an earlier post that your 3rd party cover will not be voided however if they ask you "is your car modified?" and you say "no" ignoring the fact you have a remap you will be guity of making a false/fraudulent statement to obtain insurance - prison could result

I think you need to get real, Prison these days is a last resort so its incredibly unlikely that would even be considered, its unlikely the Insurance co can even be bothered to prosecute, you just run the risk of only having 3rd party cover should they find it after you have claimed & yes they could theoretically persue you for the 3rd party claim as well vbut thats about as bad as it would get.

Every single modification should in theory be declared, not just mechanical ones, fitting seat covers is a modification if we all want to be really picky, then theres mud flaps, different mats, xchanging lights fof HID's, Tow bars, nicer stereo etc etc etc it can go on & on but this isnt really the thread for this

Edited by Stuart_J
  • Like 1

Just for reference, one of my friends is a Police Officer who attends RTA's, and is also responsible for ensuring cars are impounded for checking, etc. when it's a fatal (and he's attended many of them in his time).

I asked him once about remaps and whether either the police, or insurance companies (sending representatives) ever check for them after a fatal.

He told me that he hasn't had a single car yet where either the police or insurance company checked the ECU for a remap.

He's been working for the police for in excess of 10 years.

Make of that what you will.

For the record, my car is not remapped, and if it was I would declare it.

H

• Like 2

I think you need to get real, Prison these days is a last resort so its incredibly unlikely that would even be considered, its unlikely the Insurance co can even be bothered to prosecute, you just run the risk of only having 3rd party cover should they find it after you have claimed & yes they could theoretically persue you for the 3rd party claim as well vbut thats about as bad as it would get.

Every single modification should in theory be declared, not just mechanical ones, fitting seat covers is a modification if we all want to be really picky, then theres mud flaps, different mats, xchanging lights fof HID's, Tow bars, nicer stereo etc etc etc it can go on & on but this isnt really the thread for this

Its not up to insurance companies to prosecute, its up to the police, and people do get prosecuted for this very often. I know that I have dealt with plenty of them!

Whilst prison is unlikely if it was somebodies first offence it is an offence that is punishable by imprisonment. Another implication will be that you will be unlikely ever to get insurance again having been convicted of this offence.

I am amazed you think you persuing you for a third party claim is as bad as it can get, lets face it say you crash into a bus of school kids very seriously injuring some of them. Maybe paralyse a couple so they need lifetime care, the 3rd party liability will run into millions of pounds. You really think it wouldnt be that bad? It would ruin your life!

Is it worth it to save £50 or so a year?

Insurance companies can and do check for mods/remaps etc. After all there a profit making business so if they can avoid paying out claims and maximise their profits they will do. Its actually amazing how easy it is to get an insurance company to not pay out someones claim, usually when their car has been crashed or "stolen" in dubious circumstances so getting them not to pay out due to modifications would be equally easy.

Edited by ed209

Just out of curiosity, those who have declared the remap to their insurance companies, what questions did they ask about it I.e. who did the map, what power increase etc etc and how much was the increase to the premium?

Also, what if you did declare the remap and said there was a 20bhp increase when in fact it was a 30bhp increase, could the insurance actually tell for example if you car was written off. Surely they could only tell if your car was put on a dyno.

Fitz

Its not up to insurance companies to prosecute, its up to the police, and people do get prosecuted for this very often. I know that I have dealt with plenty of them!

Whilst prison is unlikely if it was somebodies first offence it is an offence that is punishable by imprisonment. Another implication will be that you will be unlikely ever to get insurance again having been convicted of this offence.

I am amazed you think you persuing you for a third party claim is as bad as it can get, lets face it say you crash into a bus of school kids very seriously injuring some of them. Maybe paralyse a couple so they need lifetime care, the 3rd party liability will run into millions of pounds. You really think it wouldnt be that bad? It would ruin your life!

Is it worth it to save £50 or so a year?

Insurance companies can and do check for mods/remaps etc. After all there a profit making business so if they can avoid paying out claims and maximise their profits they will do. Its actually amazing how easy it is to get an insurance company to not pay out someones claim, usually when their car has been crashed or "stolen" in dubious circumstances so getting them not to pay out due to modifications would be equally easy.

Paralyse some kids. Calm down. This thread is getting ridiculous just like this post.

ROFL.

Seriously, saying the wrong thing to an insurance company over the phone is not a criminal offence. I know you're trying to stretch it out to "insurance fraud", but it's not and never will be.

Further, ECU modifications don't cause car crashes. Drivers do. In any given accident there are hundreds of factors more important than "OMG, he had 20% more torque available".