Jacking points for trolley jack/axle stands

I am going to swap over the front for rear wheels, and I have two trolley jacks and a pair of axle stands.

Normally I would use the jack supplied plus an axle stand, but my nearside rear jacking point has clearly been abused in the past.

Does anyone know the correct places to support the vehicle, because I don't want to pick a place which I thought was OK, only to find it isn't.

Cheers.

Really easy open the doors and look at the sills there is an arrow stamped into the sill actual depression in the material as long as you get the jack lined up with this the side rail should be double skin at this point you can feel along it till it buldges for a belt an braces aproach.

Cheers for the helpful replies guys, and a great underfloor image from Muckipup. So it looks as though the rear wishbones are OK, and I will have to make sure the jack is going to sit OK without deforming anything.

It is sub zero here at the moment, so it can wait until the mercury rises a little.

Cheers.

I fitted Audi A3 jacking pads to mine, about £40 from Audi dealer and no more worries about damaging the sill etc. Also fitted them to my wife's A3 as I swap both cars to winter tyres every year. They fit as the Octavia and A3 (and Golf, Leon etc) are pretty much the same underneath and the chassis is identical when you look at it.

There are some great write-ups on here if you want to know more.

• Like 1

I made a wooden puck to avoid jacking on the seam. If you examine the supplied jack (ho ho) it is designed to straddle the seam. A member here was in a bit of a flap when the nasty happened.

Cheap trolley jacks seem to have too much dish and can dig into the sill or skid on items like the lower rear wishbone.

Someone was importing ice hockey pucks and routing a groove for this exact problem, not seen them recently, but apparently a puck is available over here for you to modify. Its not precision engineering.

Courtesy of JKM...

jkm%2520underside.jpg

Not trying to put you off using this picture for jacking the car but the sticker on the rear drivers side suspension arm is this.

2013-02-13092043_zps817305cc.jpg

Sticker location

2013-02-13092112_zps701eecd9.jpg

These photos were taken when the car was less than 2000 miles old and now it is at 2650 miles the sticker is just about falling off so it probably won't be there on your car.

Not trying to put you off using this but it is just a word of warning.

• Like 2

Looks like a copy and paste job, you can jack on the corner of a fixed rear axle but the Octavia has independent rear suspension. Never jack on a suspension arm especially one that links to a spring and a fragile anti-roll bar link.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I bought one of these off eBay (after advice on here).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ice-Hockey-Puck-Black-/190773540211?pt=UK_Ice_Hockey&hash=item2c6afd3573

I cut a slot through the middle of it for the sills to sit in and it then sits just nicely on my trolley jack.

£3.70 delivered is a lot cheaper than the Audi jacking points...

$(KGrHqF,!pUFD2b164JZBRHYTsOC2g~~60_35.JPG

I bought one of these off eBay (after advice on here).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ice-Hockey-Puck-Black-/190773540211?pt=UK_Ice_Hockey&hash=item2c6afd3573

I cut a slot through the middle of it for the sills to sit in and it then sits just nicely on my trolley jack.

£3.70 delivered is a lot cheaper than the Audi jacking points...

$(KGrHqF,!pUFD2b164JZBRHYTsOC2g~~60_35.JPG

You might want to be careful using that that the weight is not being taken on the outside of the sill which is entirely possible as the jacking point on the inside of the sill can be higher up.

The answer is very simple. Small block of wood placed behind the sill at the jacking point and put the trolley jack up to that.

So basically, the rear jacking points highlighted in that photograph are incorrect, and supporting the car under the rear suspension point should never be done?

I haven't swapped them over yet because it has been sub zero outside and I have to do the job in the road. I may invest in the S3 jack pads.

So basically, the rear jacking points highlighted in that photograph are incorrect, and supporting the car under the rear suspension point should never be done?

I haven't swapped them over yet because it has been sub zero outside and I have to do the job in the road. I may invest in the S3 jack pads.

you could jack on the solid mounting point in between the two arms andy.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Don't really understand the pictures but as long as you are happy it works all is good matey

It just shows that the groove must be deeper than the seam to avoid bending it if the angle of lift is not perpendicular - e.g. if the jack slips.

• 6 months later...

Not trying to put you off using this picture for jacking the car but the sticker on the rear drivers side suspension arm is this.

<see pictures in Backline Stu posting of 5 April 2013, above>

Not trying to put you off using this but it is just a word of warning.

Re the warning sticker picture above, either someone moved the sticker or someone is having a bit of a joke with photoshop.  On my Mk2 Octavia saloon (2011), this sticker is on the rear axle beam, not on one of the suspension arms, which makes a lot more sense and I think is the proper location for it.  Note that the warning says "no jacking or tie down on this rear axle beam" - it is about the rear axle beam, not the suspension arms.

But as Blackline Stu points out, "at 2650 miles the sticker is just about falling off", so maybe it did fall off and someone took a wrong guess as to where to reattach it.  Seems the most innocent of the available explanations.  Anyway, it relates to the rear axle beam, not the suspension arms.

So, yes, you shouldn't jack on the axle beam, nor use it for axle stands.  But the suspension arms as shown look like a good candidate for jacking and axle stands - if you can get a secure grip without risk of it sliding off and losing the load.  

Edited by jinlye

Re the warning sticker picture above, either someone moved the sticker or someone is having a bit of a joke with photoshop. On my Mk2 Octavia saloon (2011), this sticker is on the rear axle beam, not on one of the suspension arms, which makes a lot more sense and I think is the proper location for it. Note that the warning says "no jacking or tie down on this rear axle beam" - it is about the rear axle beam, not the suspension arms.

But as Blackline Stu points out, "at 2650 miles the sticker is just about falling off", so maybe it did fall off and someone took a wrong guess as to where to reattach it. Seems the most innocent of the available explanations. Anyway, it relates to the rear axle beam, not the suspension arms.

So, yes, you shouldn't jack on the axle beam, nor use it for axle stands. But the suspension arms as shown look like a good candidate for jacking and axle stands - if you can get a secure grip without risk of it sliding off and losing the load.

I saw an octy yesterday on the back of a tow truck with the same sticker in the same locationvas Blackline Stu's post. I think it was an 11 or 12 plate car.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Re the warning sticker picture above, either someone moved the sticker or someone is having a bit of a joke with photoshop.  On my Mk2 Octavia saloon (2011), this sticker is on the rear axle beam, not on one of the suspension arms, which makes a lot more sense and I think is the proper location for it.  Note that the warning says "no jacking or tie down on this rear axle beam" - it is about the rear axle beam, not the suspension arms.

But as Blackline Stu points out, "at 2650 miles the sticker is just about falling off", so maybe it did fall off and someone took a wrong guess as to where to reattach it.  Seems the most innocent of the available explanations.  Anyway, it relates to the rear axle beam, not the suspension arms.

So, yes, you shouldn't jack on the axle beam, nor use it for axle stands.  But the suspension arms as shown look like a good candidate for jacking and axle stands - if you can get a secure grip without risk of it sliding off and losing the load.  

Sorry my bad. I ment to say axle beam but I must have had a mind fart and put suspension arm instead but the photo still clearly shows where it is and it has been there from the day I got the car (I got the car brand new - not a pre-reg or ex demo). It was still clinging on at 6000 miles but I've not had a look since and I'm not going out to check just now since its cold, raining and windy outside :no: Either way its got a warning sticker on it and I'm not jacking my car up on it and I will only use the points listed in the owners manual.