Tyre Recommendations for 2010 VRS DSG 18"

Hey People

I need to replace my two front tyres at the end of this month.

I'm looking for some very grippy tyres that are reasonably priced. Say max 200 quid each.

Anyone got any recommendations please?

TheWood

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Goodyear Asymmetric 2 is my preferred weapon of choice for tyres. Had other tyres on other cars but on my vRS had Dunlop Sport Maxx, Hankook Ventus V12 & Asymmetric 2. The Goodyears as an overall package take some beating.

I'll be buying another 2 within approximately 1k miles.

• Like 1

Just order 4 new tyres.....................Try Halfords site on the internet 30% off branded tyres and a further £5 off with a voucher that can be found on the internet as well. I got a very price that I couldnt beat anywhere Bridgestones R050A, I have found them to be excellent and replacing like for like

I found that the RE050's were very good but they didnt last very long. On another car i replaced them with continentals and noticed no less grip but they lasted far far longer.

Im on evergreens now though so what do i know. :giggle:

On my 18" rims I've gone from Conti sport contact 2's to Uniroyal Rainsport 2's and now have a post winter tyre set of Avon ZZ3's (£110 ea including fitting balance and a free front alignment from National). Out of all of these the ZZ3's are my favourites (2nd choice would be the Rainsports), as the ZZ3's have great grip and are very quiet for road noise - although too early to judge wear and tear yet.

I think a lot of the time you need to judge what price you can pay at the time. So while I was looking at trying the newer Conti SC 5's, they would have been just over £200 extra for a set against the ZZ3's.

Edited by Delacroix

Just been quoted £127 for a Michelin PS3 fitted and balanced - 225/40 18.

Michelin are currently doing their fuel voucher offer, and if you buy two 18" tyres before the end of April, they will send you a fuel voucher for £50 (see the Michelin UK website).

So effectively £102 all in for a Michelin PS3. Result :rofl:

Even if you have bought some tyres in the last month or so (until the end of this month) you should be able to claim (until the end of May, and the applicable dealers).

On my 18" rims I've gone from Conti sport contact 2's to Uniroyal Rainsport 2's and now have a post winter tyre set of Avon ZZ3's (£110 ea including fitting balance and a free front alignment from National). Out of all of these the ZZ3's are my favourites (2nd choice would be the Rainsports), as the ZZ3's have great grip and are very quiet for road noise - although too early to judge wear and tear yet.

I think a lot of the time you need to judge what price you can pay at the time. So while I was looking at trying the newer Conti SC 5's, they would have been just over £200 extra for a set against the ZZ3's.

I got sc5s in 225/40R18 92Y for £88+VAT, the Eagle F1s were the same price but they only had 3 in stock and were struggling to get any more in a reasonable timescale.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Just been quoted £127 for a Michelin PS3 fitted and balanced - 225/40 18.

Michelin are currently doing their fuel voucher offer, and if you buy two 18" tyres before the end of April, they will send you a fuel voucher for £50 (see the Michelin UK website).

So effectively £102 all in for a Michelin PS3. Result :rofl:

Even if you have bought some tyres in the last month or so (until the end of this month) you should be able to claim (until the end of May, and the applicable dealers).

I did this last year when their fuel offer was on. Great offer, and you can't go far wrong with Michelin........they've never made a bad tyre.

Edited by booke23

Either Michelin PS3 or Toyo T1 Sports. The Toyo's worked brilliantly on my Octy. Both are good tyres but I am going to get the PS3 next month to keep the front and rear tyres matching on my Focus.

Either Michelin PS3 or Toyo T1 Sports. The Toyo's worked brilliantly on my Octy. Both are good tyres but I am going to get the PS3 next month to keep the front and rear tyres matching on my Focus.

Note that the curerent Michelin offer ends at the end of April.

I will need some tyres in the next couple of months, and was thinking about buying them now and keeping them for a bit before fitting so I can get the voucher.

• Like 1

I still cannot recommend Continental enough.

My car came with SC2's and lasted 30k miles before I needed to replace two. So switched my rear SC2's to the front and bout 2x SC5's for the rear.

Paid £120 per corner fitted. Not the cheapest, but I'm certainly happy with them.

Well I've ordered the F1's chaps. 250 quid fitted. Next Thursday.

Thanks for all the info. I'll let ya know what I think to them once they are on.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hey people.

Well I've had them on since Wednesday and been hitting corners quite hard and I must say I'm impressed so cheers all.

Had a bit of hassle cos it was the first time I'd had any wheels off since buying the car from Skoda Dealer (DMV Keith) last August and it turned out the wrong locking nut was supplied with the car!

Took it to Skoda Dealer and they got out the master set, took out the locking bolts so I could get tyres fitted (fitted elsewhere).

Pick up my new key they ordered (FOC) tomorrow. Always have good service from them ;)

Have a good weekend all.

Matt

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I've just bought an 06 Octavia VRS TSI hatch. It's lovely but it's incredibly noisy inside with a whirring sound coming from somewhere. It sounded like a wheel bearing but the tyres are some awful dodgy make and have no tread left so I assumed it's from them. A bit of Internet research later and it seems to be a common problem with this platform where they knacker tyres up if the alignment is out.

So I'm having to get 4 new tyres and need some recommendations. But my budget is about half of the OP's.

I always have Falken FK452s on my cars. Seem to defy physics but are far cheaper than they should be. Has anyone used anything Falken on their mk2 VRS? I can get the FK453 for £85 or the ZE914 for £70 on Camskill. I had some Goodyear Eagle F1s years ago which were fantastic in the dry but were positively dangerous in the snow, so anyone with those I'd recommend getting some winter wheels ready to go on.

Cheers all.