Repeat owners - what have you noticed as different?

prodata

There seem to be an increasing number of Yeti owners on their second Yeti. I'm curious as to what, if anything, you've noticed as different between old and new? Would be especially interesting to hear from those who have made an essentially like-for-like update, ie not replacing CR170 by the 1.2 or vice versa.

Obviously, some new options have become available since original launch like electric chairs, MDI, DAB etc. But these details aside, is the new one eg any quieter (or noisier) or noticeably different in any other ways?

Edited by prodata

Early days yet but mine does seem quieter overall. It also appears to be better finished, not that I was unhappily with the original.

I'm on my second Elegance CR170.

The new one is a little quieter on the road. It feels a teeny bit quicker too, but that could be my imagination. The seat is a lot firmer, but it's electric where the first one wasn't. The radio works far better with SD cards.

Most of the other changes are down to different options on the new one - the heated windscreen is fantastic, and the extra speakers make a huge difference.

On my 2nd 1.2 manual and even though I was pleased with the 1st there is a noticeable improvement in MPG with the same driving style even though the new engine has only around 1300 on the clock and is obviously still tight.

The latest does seem quieter than the 1st ,I don't believe there is any more soundproofing in the present SE than the previous S.

I believe my 1st had a 60ltr saddle tank and suffered badly with air locks when filling, the latest has a conventional 55ltr tank which fills with no problems.

Both were/are a joy to drive and still bring a smile to my face after over 3 years of ownership. :happy:

I upgraded my Yeti 1.2 to the 2lt 4x4. First noticable difference (other than grunt) was the doors dont seem to shut as tight and the door rubbers squeek when the car is crossing over our driveway at an angle. Were the robots having a lazy day and reduced the number of welds or is it simply lack of door adjustment?

I upgraded my Yeti 1.2 to the 2lt 4x4. First noticable difference (other than grunt) was the doors dont seem to shut as tight and the door rubbers squeek when the car is crossing over our driveway at an angle. Were the robots having a lazy day and reduced the number of welds or is it simply lack of door adjustment?

The creak is caused by wax deposits on your door seals and will disappear if thoroughly cleaned with Gummi Pfledge (can't remember if that is the correct spelling). I posted on this a few times in 2010. It is unlikely to be a less rigid bodyshell.

Two years in now with Yeti no. 2 does that count :giggle:

Main difference I have noticed between 09 and 2011 is a smoother and quieter engine and improved ride/handling, which may in part be the redesigned front suspension and the switch from 17" to 16" wheels.

TP

Obviously, some new options have become available since original launch like electric chairs, MDI, DAB etc. But these details aside, is the new one eg any quieter (or noisier) or noticeably different in any other ways?

I would love a passenger electric chair. For the mother in law 240V heated seat pad would be fine :giggle::notme::angel:

• Like 1

My current Yeti doesn't have a dimple on the centre rear edge of the Bonnet,

or an intermittant dash rattle.

It does have a proper plastic cover over the battery rather than a bit of felt,

and a bit of rubber?in the rear door catch aperture,where mud ,falling off the dog ,used to collect.

The drivers windscreen wiper is fitted 1 spline further down,so it doesn't hit the windscreen pillar when selected to fast wipe speed.

Upgraded from a 2.0 TDI SE to a 2.0 TDI SE+

I've now got 'phone functions on the radio!

Seriously, the seats seem firmer - especially the lumbar support and like others say here, the ride is smoother. It may be my imagination as well because we've only covered just over 2k miles, but fuel economy seems better. The old Yeti returned an average of 49mpg while this one is sitting at about 52mpg. (These figures are real and not from the display by the way.)

Hi guys,

After 2k miles in my new yeti 170 se+, from a 140 se. First notes of disappointment what happened to carpet on the inside of the boot on the wheel arches?

After this all good:

1. Lot quieter. Road noise much better, engine noise not so intrusive....

2. Fuel consumption improved 140 i averaged 42 mpg, 170 i get 46 mpg.

3. SD card reader in the se+ Amundsen actually reads cards quickly....

4. Suspension much improved, not so harsh anymore.

5. Oh yes the buckles at the top on rear seats with poppers have gone!!! To be honest i never really understood their purpose :-)

6. Fit and finish also much improved the rear doors have protection on them now.

I'm sure I've missed a few other things, but these are my main comments....

Br

JeZ

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Switch from 140 SE to 170 Elegance, so more toys but in terms of like for like its:

1. Every time I get a new VAG car the 6 speed manual gearbox always seems more smoother than the last one.

2. Clutch is lighter as well, (but you have to depress the clutch to start the engine.)

3. Generally everything feels smoother and even easier to drive than the last one.

I went from a 140SE to a 170 Elegance also, phone is great, but the mpg is poor, was 45ish now 41ish (all at 70 mph)

I changed from a 140 Elegance Manual to a 140 SE Plus with DSG. Both 4 x 4.

I'm convinced the engine is quieter and smoother and the ride seems smoother too.

John

I went from a 140SE to a 170 Elegance also, phone is great, but the mpg is poor, was 45ish now 41ish (all at 70 mph)

Yes I agree, 42.5 average in my 140 and down to 40.6 in the 170.

Hoping that will get better with time and warmer weather!

• 2 weeks later...

I would love a passenger electric chair. For the mother in law 240V heated seat pad would be fine :giggle::notme::angel:

I was thinking just the same (not for my mother in law) can you retro fit a lefthand drive electric seat and disable the memory feature?

I was thinking just the same (not for my mother in law) can you retro fit a lefthand drive electric seat and disable the memory feature?

Don't know about the seat, but 68 years on and my memory feature is certainly partly disabled :wonder:

Fuel economy is (suprisingly) better on my later model 2.0 Diesel compared to the 1.2 tsi. Both are DSG's. My last fill up on a return trip Sydney /Brisbane showed 1050km range. THe 1.2 on the same trip only ever showed a best of 860km range. I would have thought the lighter 1.2 with a 7 speed would have been a clear winner over the heavier 4x4 with only a 6 speed.

Fuel economy is (suprisingly) better on my later model 2.0 Diesel compared to the 1.2 tsi. Both are DSG's. My last fill up on a return trip Sydney /Brisbane showed 1050km range. THe 1.2 on the same trip only ever showed a best of 860km range. I would have thought the lighter 1.2 with a 7 speed would have been a clear winner over the heavier 4x4 with only a 6 speed.

The range isnt the best indicator as its based on the last few drive cycles - surely the smaller tank in the petrol 1.2 would affect that figure anyway? Given a good run, id expect that diesel to manage better figures than the 1.2 anyway. :)

The range isnt the best indicator as its based on the last few drive cycles - surely the smaller tank in the petrol 1.2 would affect that figure anyway? Given a good run, id expect that diesel to manage better figures than the 1.2 anyway. :)

Not the DSG TDI Lee... not remotely. So how kimosabi manages it I don't know. :) I have NEVER seen a 652 mile range (1050 km) on my DSG TDI. The highest I've ever seen was just over 500 I think. But that the 1,2 will show a shorter range with a smaller fuel tank is of course why one does not compare fuel consumption in terms of range between different vehicles. :giggle:

Duh.. I missed the obvious.. bigger fuel tank! Sorry Guys.. that explains the difference however next time I go on a trip to Sydney i'll take a pic of range to next fill. Maybe its a traffic thing.. we only have to dodge a few Kangaroo's and trucks down here.. not the congestion of the M1

• Like 1

Not the DSG TDI Lee... not remotely. So how kimosabi manages it I don't know. :) I have NEVER seen a 652 mile range (1050 km) on my DSG TDI. The highest I've ever seen was just over 500 I think. But that the 1,2 will show a shorter range with a smaller fuel tank is of course why one does not compare fuel consumption in terms of range between different vehicles. :giggle:

I have seen over 600, surprising really around London. :lol:

Joking aside that will have been when I was let out and on one of my longer journeys on a motorway at about 60mph. Oh, and most probably at night so not congested.

Today it was showing a combined total trip and range of 570 mile. I have only done about 150 miles so far.

Tomorrow it will all be ruined, as my dealer will no doubt disconnect the battery when they replace my electric seat pad (again).

I have seen over 600, surprising really around London. :lol:

Joking aside that will have been when I was let out and on one of my longer journeys on a motorway at about 60mph.

Driving at 60?!?! Mike I've never driven at 60 on a motorway unless the speed limit is 60! Hence I pay the price in my fuel consumption! :giggle: