Wet Grip

grayson

Wet grip isn't all about aquaplaning though is it, surely? :think: I'd always thought it was also about how much feedback you get on a damp or wet roundabout at 20 mph, or country lane on a drizzly day, giving you a feel for exactly how much or how little grip there is under that 4" patch between you and a problem? Compared to when the water's a cm deep on the autobahn or motorway. Or when you are suddenly confronted with a cow standing in the road over a brow, with a river of water covering the tarmac between you and her? :rain: Or braking distance when that dog, child or teenager in a hoodie with their iPod plugged in, runs or steps out in front of you on a regular rainy evening at 25 mph just outside the shops on an urban dual carriageway or urban ring road. :whew:

I've had all those situations in the last 12 months. As for the tyres - I found that Yokohama W-drive winter tyres on my Beemer were absolutely brilliant in the wet and cold. Giving ultimate grip much better than the Goodyear Excellence summer tyres do in the warmer wet, combined with total confidence to manouvre in the aforesaid circumstances without fear of losing grip or feel for when that was getting even close. The odd stream of water running across an otherwise damp motorway was also handled with total lack of drama, or aquaplaning for that matter. Plus they only lost 1mm of tread over 5500 miles from November to April.

For summer - when the Hankooks my Yeti came on run down to around 3mm I'll be fitting some Kumho's - like Graham. Ran 3 sets of those on the car the Yeti replaced, with Michelins and an odd set of Falken ZE912s in between. OK - the Miche's were fine, but the combination of equal grip, wet or dry, and 2/3 the mileage for half the cost tips the balance in favour of the Koreans, for me.....

Are there bigger differences between the same maker's different models of tyre though, than on average between makes? Among the premium brands I suspect so. Very much horses for courses or tyres for conditions. :happy: Between Pirelli/Michelin/Continental/Yokohama/Dunlop/Kumho, and YinYanLon Ditchfinders though - there's, well, the width of a very large ditch, quite literally! :think:

• 3 months later...

As the originator of this thread an update-Kumhos bought- grip terrific. Had to smile at some of the comments above - crikey if you have never reached the levels of grip on public roads you must drive very slowly indeed. Recent examples of some sideways stuff include huge puddle around blind bend(and no . I didn't slow to 5mph before it ) , diesel on the road , cow muck etc.My other car's(Caterham )  raison d'etre is sliding...A sit was in my MG Midget in awhat now feels like about 1905 . All safe fun if you know what you're doing - honest. But not recommended on the HIgh St or when other people are around...     

Michelins are more expensive than average but Ive always got more miles out of them so I think it balances up tbh. Agreed with all your points though. Friends have run Sessantas and said VERY good things about them. :)

And following up from this point... ive just replaced a set of four Michelin Pilot 3 tyres which were ran down to 2mm (usually I swap at 3mm) and they were still providing exceptional grip even at 2mm! Ive just had four Barum Bravarus 2's (made by Continental) fitted and when pushed in the wet they arent as grippy as the Michelins were.

Not a great fan of Continental tyres myself. Bought a number of cars which have come fitted with their Premium Contact 2 and I have yet to find any premium contact about them. The one's on the Yeti are just below 4mm and they are now noticeably tram lining when cold; improves after a few miles building up a bit of temperature.

Be looking at Michelin's as a possible replacement or maybe Uniroyals (albeit another Conti brand).

TP

• Like 2

I am currently also in the search for new tyres, and will agree with TP regarding the Conti Premium Contacts 2's that the Yeti came fitted with.

After 12.5k kilometers they have pretty much lost all of their wet cornering grip (have had a couple of hairy moments in light drizzle) and are extremely worn both front and rear. Admittedly I do have a slightly "enthusiastic" driving style, but still...

After a lot of thinking and research I am steering towards Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons, which I am planning to fit once the weather gets a bit colder (and wetter). Would not want to go down the full winter tyre route, as temperatures over here are not that low during the winter. On the other hand, I do make several trips to the mountains in the winter and usually encounter quite a bit of snow, so I guess that for winter use the 4 seasons are the way to go.

I am planning on keeping the Contis in storage for use once the temperature goes up again in late spring, as they are still half-decent in the dry and I doubt the Vectors will last long in the Greek summer heat. That way I am hoping I will get another winter's use out of them come next October...

You should try modern tyres on any motorcycle over 600cc (if you haven't already, ya petrol head ;))

I've regularly worn out a front and rear pair in 6k!

Now that's what I call wearing out quickly. :o

Michelin PR2's on a CBF1000 n get good mileage out of them - can't afford to keep replacing so ridden carefully! Stick like the proverbial tho

So far I've managed to buy a pair of tyres at a time, but checked today after a "moment" coming to work in the rain this evening, which had the traction control light lit, and find that all 4 are around the 3mm mark.

I see that NTS have a deal on Barum Bavarius tyres at the moment but they don't get a good "wet" right-up, and I can't get any Goodyear Vectors for less than £160 in this area so I think it will be another set of Kumho's.

I was hoping to have held this over until we got back from France next month............oh well, a few less bottles of plonk!

So far I've managed to buy a pair of tyres at a time, but checked today after a "moment" coming to work in the rain this evening, which had the traction control light lit, and find that all 4 are around the 3mm mark.

I see that NTS have a deal on Barum Bavarius tyres at the moment but they don't get a good "wet" right-up, and I can't get any Goodyear Vectors for less than £160 in this area so I think it will be another set of Kumho's.

I was hoping to have held this over until we got back from France next month............oh well, a few less bottles of plonk!

Fewer. Sorry.

• Like 2

a "few fewer"?  Sorry, I don't think so! In general I approve of adherence to grammatical correctness but when seeking to check a composition the acid test is to attempt to read the draft out loud. If it is awkward or sounds wrong then it is wrong.

• Like 1

Oponeo currently have the Goodyears in 225/50/17 98 V XL for £135 delivered, and 94 V for £132

And another £60 to get them fitted!

That would be £600 in total!!!!!!!

Grayson,

Whatever, and since I'm not English.................................

• Like 1

Oponeo currently have the Goodyears in 225/50/17 98 V XL for £135 delivered, and 94 V for £132

Take your pick here;- http://www.tyremen.co.uk/tyrefinder.aspx 

A' rated Goodyears @ £136, 'B' rated Hankooks @ £118 or 'C' rated Vredesteins @ £119

Guy

It is a moot point - but I'd reckon not.

Pedants is plural, and therefore it is a Society of Pedants, as opposed to belonging to Pedants.

You will note that I've written "it is" so as to avoid conflict there, too.

• Like 1

OMG. Why did I start this? ;=)

It is a moot point - but I'd reckon not.

Pedants is plural, and therefore it is a Society of Pedants, as opposed to belonging to Pedants.

You will note that I've written "it is" so as to avoid conflict there, too.

I agree with George; no apostrophe required.

How are the sheep this afternoon, George?

Back on topic......

The sheep manage fine to grip in the mud, the freshly moved topsoil, and the lawn.

They deserve no apostrophes whatsoever - merely an abundance of adroitly placed asterisks. In other words, multiple expletives deleted!

One of the reasons the apostrophe will probably drop out of use in the next 100 years or so is that there are relatively few instances where its presence or absence causes a real problem with meaning (think of all the ambiguities there are in words themselves). In the case discussed here, I would go with the no apostrophe school, since it is a society of pedants, rather than a society that belongs to pedants. But, to return to my opening point, everyone knows what it means - and why spoil a quite good joke by wanting to deconstruct it grammatically? Even for those of us with linguistic backgrounds, there's more to life!

• Like 1

Agreed. That's why I put a ;=)

One of the reasons the apostrophe will probably drop out of use in the next 100 years or so is that there are relatively few instances where its presence or absence causes a real problem with meaning (think of all the ambiguities there are in words themselves). In the case discussed here, I would go with the no apostrophe school, since it is a society of pedants, rather than a society that belongs to pedants. But, to return to my opening point, everyone knows what it means - and why spoil a quite good joke by wanting to deconstruct it grammatically? Even for those of us with linguistic backgrounds, there's more to life!