James' VR6T 4 Motion Golf. Now SOLD!

James I

I do have some mesh, I am contemplating taking the upper grill out too and have the mesh from the bonnet down to the bottom of the hole and make it all inline with the edge of the headlights, might be too much though.

I will have a go tomorrow, the blinkin' mesh was best part of £30 from B&Q, which goes against my keep it cheap and functional build mantra but Liam said the chicken wire I was going to use was dreadful and looked bad.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All went well at the track after the remap and oil cooler mod, although the pipes needed a nip on the oil cooler and turbo feed, also noticed the turbo manifold gasket is leaking when everything is cold, so a new one has been ordered ready to fit.

here are a few pictures of the car at OP on Friday 7th November, it was very wet and cold!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/swivelonit/sets/72157648821278630/

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have found a source for forged rods, they will cost a massive £270 for 6!    I have been researching where all the forged rods and pistons come from and it turns out that 95% of what is available in Europe today are from China, the likes of Integrated Engineering make their own but most others brand up imported rods from China and make a massive mark up!

This got me thinking, do I need rods and pistons?

I know if I install the head spacer, I can run 17-20psi boost, a set of bigger injectors, a bigger turbo and another remap 450-500bhp is achievable but more than I need as I do not want to spend another couple of grand on the Golf, 500bhp will need a clutch amongst other things.

So, I now have a spare engine in my garage, I am going to fit the head spacer to it, keep everything else except the injectors stock and run 17psi through it, take it to the rollers and have it mapped to see what I get, this will then lead to a few track days to see how long it lasts, if it does not bend a rod or spectacularly explode at full throttle, I will just keep running it, if it does die, then I can rebuild my old engine to run 15 or 12 psi and lower power, this should produce 350 bhp easy.

I had a few issues with the waste gate and turbo gasket at Oulton Park today but these are easy fixes, they did annoy me a little as the gasket stopped my progress today, so I also have to factor in some reliability!       

2015 will be an interesting year for the VR6T

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

I see above that on the 31st January I had big plans for the Golf but the reality is not as I envisaged.

I have done three track days this year, Oulton Park, How Fast and Rockingham for the Brisky national meet. I am not getting the use out of the Golf and have not had the time to use it let alone modify it more so the time has come to put the feelers out there to sell it as is or break it and sell it in bits, I would prefer to sell it as a whole car and somebody else keep tweaking it and having fun with it.

My Golf is not the quickest thing in the world but it is a very predictable and stable car when on track and offers a lot of fun.

It is a 2002 V6 4 motion, it has a low pressure (5 psi) turbo on it with intercooler, this was mapped by chip wizard and achieved a reliable 284 bhp (at the wheels) with 290 nm torque. In addition to the engine tweak the car has 323mm Brembo brakes, grooved discs, Ferodo DS3000 pads, HEL braided lines, Eibach front and rear ARB's, GAZ GHA adjustable damping coil overs front and rear, interior is stripped with bucket seats and harnesses, steering wheel has been replaced with MOMO and all air bags have been removed and deleted correctly so no warning lights are on the dash!

Wheels, we have a set of Team dynamic Pro Race 3's with Federal 595 RS-R tyres, a set of team Dynamic 1.2's with some road legal slicks, I also have four brand new Federal 595 RS-R's ready to go on.

In the last 18 months, a new alternator has been fitted, new steering rack also, brake fluids are high temp race spec and a 19 row oil cooler has also been added, K&N air filter, large cone.

In addition to the above I have a spare engine, gearbox, prop shaft, drive shafts, radiator diff etc that will all be available with the car should anybody show an interest.

I chose to trailer the car to events but with the addition of a CAT to the exhaust this car can be road legal as all lights etc are still present.

Oil has been changed after every track session and replaced with 10/60 fully synthetic, when on track 10 laps maximum and then a cool down lap to try and look after the car as best I could.

Send me a PM if you are interested.

I am looking for £3500 ono, if no interest I will be parting it out and selling in bits.

• Like 3

Thanks Guys, I will be on the look out for something else, maybe a bit lighter, rear wheel drive and quick..................   ;)   but we shall see.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Did it sell in the end?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No it has not sold, I have a guy interested but it is a slow burn, he wants it MOT'd and road legal and then pay less than I am asking for it.... not going to happen.

Golf is still sitting in a shed in Yorkshire, dry and secure, I may even keep it as a play thing as it goes well enough and is great fun.

As I have moved house this year cash flow is a bit tight, I wanted to divert the funds from the Golf into a stage rally car which was the reason for selling it, this hasn't happened so I will take stock over Christmas and see what happens next year.

• Like 4

No it has not sold, I have a guy interested but it is a slow burn, he wants it MOT'd and road legal and then pay less than I am asking for it.... not going to happen.

Golf is still sitting in a shed in Yorkshire, dry and secure, I may even keep it as a play thing as it goes well enough and is great fun.

As I have moved house this year cash flow is a bit tight, I wanted to divert the funds from the Golf into a stage rally car which was the reason for selling it, this hasn't happened so I will take stock over Christmas and see what happens next year.

If I had 3.5k sitting round id take it off your hands James...really enjoyed reading the thread, bet its a bit of a hoot!

So just over 280hp at the wheels....whats that at the crank 300ish?

If I had 3.5k sitting round id take it off your hands James...really enjoyed reading the thread, bet its a bit of a hoot!

So just over 280hp at the wheels....whats that at the crank 300ish?

It is good fun, still a little under powered but a very easy car to drive fast on track, set up is good for a little under steer to let you know when things are getting a bit quick with the ability to hit the throttle early in a corner and slide nicely to the kerb, IF I do keep it I think the head spacer will go in and a different turbo for 1.5 bar boost, should push another 150 bhp easily.

Kidney is for sale on eBay now to fund it lol

• 2 months later...

The time has come for the Golf to move on as a whole or in bits! it has been advertised for a few months now and little interest as it is an expensive toy. So I have decided to part it out, at this point if there is anything you want put your name by it and when I have enough interest I will spend a whole weekend taking her to bits.

VRT engine, intercooler, all piping cold side and downpipes exhaust, loom and ECU so it all works in your car.

Haldex Diff

256mm rear callipers and vented discs

323 Brembo's, EBC grooved discs and Ferodo DS3000 pads.

H&R 5X100  15mm spacers X4

Eibach front and rear ARB's only suitable for 4 motion, quattro or scout

GAZ GHA adjustable coilovers and drop links again only for quattro or 4 motion

Team dynamic Pro race 3's + worn 595 rs-r tyres

Team dynamic Pro race 1.2 + rally slicks (good for a laugh these are ( :rain: = :peek: ) 

2 bucket seats on MK4 seat bases runners, 2 second swap.

5 point harnesses - Josh may already want these????

Subframes - front polybushed and rear.

Audi TT front strut brace, top and bottom 

Momo steering wheel

007 dump valve, never used still boxed.

And anything else you can think might be on there that you want.

Edited by James I

I am sure it will Trev, come across next weekend and the Golf will be here you can have a mooch around it.

I'll let you know mate as I've got two busy weekends ahead, I really want the wheels too haha, I love pro race 3's, might have them at end of the month if you still have them

Edited by TrevorB33

I'll let you know mate as I've got two busy weekends ahead, I really want the wheels too haha, I love pro race 3's, might have them at end of the month if you still have them

I will have a lot at the end of the month!  Might need to find some steels to stand her on whilst she is stripped, I think I still have your mobile number, will drop you a text when it is here, it has to be moved before the 15th March where it is stored now, so any day after that.

• Like 1