Sport Mode DSG

33q

Until today I've never driven my car in sport mode.

A short blast at legal and sensible speed on a C road then B road was great fun.

I use these roads regularly in D mode and my Yeti steps up into 6th a few times, However, in Sport, despite settling at 60 MPH cruise at the end, it did not flick into 6th at all.

Is this OK?

As always ... thanks in advance

Nigel

Been driving around in a Octy II 1.2TSI DSG 7 speed for 2 weeks now and been trying to get to grips with it through experimentation. Not normally one for 'auto's' but I'm getting to like this engine and box combination. Likewise found the box will not use top in sport but I was aware this might be the case from my dads experience with his previous Superb. No cruise on this loan car, which was a shame as it's crying out for it with DSG.

Points I was less keen on being the selections the box would choose on hill decent; went into engine braking in a big way, getting down to third and 4 to 5000rpm + on a number of occasions. Tried selecting fourth manually and on all but one occasion it let me. Next not so keen on the manual selection as my brain must be wired differently; I want to push forward for a lower gear and pull back for higher, so I've really upset the engine on a couple of occasions :giggle: Finally the way it can take off if in drive with brake released and no accelerator applied; seems a tad dangerous to me.

TP

I can confirm that it won't select 6th in sport. Have to say that I think sport is redundant in the diesel as it develops peak torque at low revs. Leave it in D and just shove your foot all the way down when you want some poke and you will be just as fast. Quite the opposite to the 7 speeder on the petrol engines where sport is a hoot - albeit a tank and wallet emptier!

I'm not sure sport is redundant. Throttle seemed sharper and it flicks into first at junctions more readily than D.

It just feels a bit sportier too with more revs.

I quite agree though by crushing the carpet in D it goes rather well.....and catches many a boy racer out....so I understand :giggle:

I have never understood sport mode on the Yeti (or my Octavia before it) all it appears to do is change up later, hold onto gears for longer and not use top gear.

I have not noticed any improvement in throttle response.

Whereas my e39 BMW's it sharpened up throttle response as well.

Tried it out myself over the weekend en-route to our caravan. I found acceleration was much quicker and held onto gears longer, but never went into 7th gear even on the motorway. I soon went back into drive when I saw what it was doing to my fuel consumption

• Like 1

Sport mode does seem to improve the little TSI as does the new ecu sport mode on the Octy III, which appeared to have a similar effect with the 1.4 TSI manual.

TP

Maybe then the TSI petrol DSG is different, as the Diesel DSG in sport mode doesn't do much.

Sport mode is a real hoot, I love leaving the boy racers behind, well, over a short distance anyway - but victory is sweet. :rofl:

• Like 1

For a really fast get away go to manual - the system will not allow it to be over rev'd. I've not done this but recall a YouTube video, which I can not find, where the guy just floored a Golf TDi for an electric response with the box changing up at MAX revs.

Anyone brave enough to confirm this?? :devil:

• Like 1

Sorry Brijo should have said it was a dsg in manual 'tiptronic' mode. Good video though and does prove a point about standard manual v dsg just in sport mode.

The video I recall was from the USA.

No problem. It was this clip that reassured me, last Spring, that going DSG was not just for old f*rts :angel:

Absolutely agree with that. I remain so very impressed with our new 140/dsg set up.

• Like 1

For a really fast get away go to manual - the system will not allow it to be over rev'd. I've not done this but recall a YouTube video, which I can not find, where the guy just floored a Golf TDi for an electric response with the box changing up at MAX revs.

Anyone brave enough to confirm this?? :devil:

Actually the quickest way to get away is the launch control:

1) traction control off (TCS)

2) DSG in mode S

3) both brake and throttle pedal to the floor: if the car runs smoothly at between 2 and 3 Krpms (petrol higher, diesel a bit lower) the the launch control works and is activated

4) let go of brake pedal and awaaaaaaaaay you go - beware of traffic ahead :)

Actually the quickest way to get away is the launch control:

1) traction control off (TCS)

2) DSG in mode S

3) both brake and throttle pedal to the floor: if the car runs smoothly at between 2 and 3 Krpms (petrol higher, diesel a bit lower) the the launch control works and is activated

4) let go of brake pedal and awaaaaaaaaay you go - beware of traffic ahead :)

Doesn't work on a Yeti. The moment you press the throttle and the brake the engine is cut...

• Like 1

Doesn't work on a Yeti. The moment you press the throttle and the brake the engine is cut...

Blasted nuisance when you want to left foot brake on a slippery surface!!

• Like 1