215 40 17 Tyres

Tempted to go to this size but the Michelin tyres I want don't come in that size. Can anyone recommend a similar tyre in that size? I could just stick with 205's if there isn't much difference. There seems to be less choice with 215's

I'm currently running Maxxis MAZ1s, following Sharkrider's recommendation, in that size

All seems fine so far :)

They do make the rolling circumference a bit bigger than 205/40/17 though

• Like 1

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, without doubt the best tyres I've ever tried. Took a lot of abuse and worked so well. Can get them for £85 a corner too in that size 

Had these on my Octavia.  I was very impressed with them.  Easily as good as the Pilot Sport 2 and Eagle F1 tyres despite being £20 a corner cheaper.

@ martyn, what michelins are you after?  the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 tyres are getting rave reviews lately.

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, without doubt the best tyres I've ever tried. Took a lot of abuse and worked so well. Can get them for £85 a corner too in that size

I've currently got these (and replaced with the same) in that size and I'm very impressed and are a lot better in the wet than Toyo TR-1's in my experience.

^^

Toyo T1Rs are the worst and most over rated tyres i think ive ever purchased.

Won't disagree with that.... Actually just agree with the over rated bit, The tyres on my missus 1.6 Civic are the worst

Was thinking of Michelin Pilot Sport 3's and those come in 205's no problem. I'll need to decide soon as the fronts are very close and I use the car daily. I'll have to find time to fit them too but that's another problem.

I was thinking of going 215 if there was a benefit to. If it's marginal I'll just get the Michelins, although I've just seen these. The model up from the Adrenalines I've just had. http://lovetyres.com/tyre/Bridgestone-Potenza-RE050A/215-40-17

The only benefit is better grip while cornering and braking.

Disadvantages are numerous. 215 will be a bit heavier than 205 so more fuel consumption. They will also have higher rolling resistance so again higher consumption. Circumference is larger as well, by quite a bit

Not that accurate but will give you some idea

Original 205/40/17

DPP_0563_zpscc820a76.jpg

215/40/R17

DPP_0551_zpsc3722365.jpg

I was looking at 215/35/R17 for the above reasons but they are as easy to find as rocking horse's crap

• Like 1

the actual difference between 215/40/17 and 205/40/17 is:

Difference  in  Diameter  = 1.34  % 

Actual diameter change = 8 mm

We recommend a MAXIMUM of +/- 2.5% difference

welll within limits and negligable RR change at 1.34% and 8 mill diameter change is also negligable, as tyres have 8 mill tread while new!

I've gone for two Michelin's in 205 for now. I've left it a bit close so have to change them soon. Didn't think going to 215's would add much weight to each corner. My MPG is crap round town anyway

I do not know what the difference is going to be and perhaps your driving style has much more influence over the mpg's than what bigger tyres can do comparatively to the smaller ones. Is the difference between 205 and 215 going to be a perceptible one, I do not know. Will they provide you with more grip? If comparing two exactly the same tyres  just sizes different then yes. Between different tyres, who knows?

EDIT: Is insurance going to throw up a wobbly due to going from 205's to 215's?

I asked when I renewed. They weren't bothered provided they are within that percentage sharkrider mentioned. Asked about suspension and as long as it's no more than a 5cm drop it's £6 extra. They don't cover remaps whatsoever but will cover "chipping". Odd

In respect to the Michelin PS3.

Much more grip that the std fit Conti SC2 I had on mine. Downside was that the Conti's on the front lasted 27000 miles with a little bit of life left the Michelins now need replacing after 15000 miles.

PS3 much better tyre but has a higher wear rate is my experience.

I barely got 8k out of Contis on the front, Bridgestone Adrenalines are about 10k with two Combe days and are down to the markers. The Michelins should be turning up today. 

I barely got 8k out of Contis on the front, Bridgestone Adrenalines are about 10k with two Combe days and are down to the markers. The Michelins should be turning up today.

I really haven't been driving mine hard enough have I?