215 40 17 Tyres

I do drive too hard even when commuting. There's a few spots it's nice to accelerate briskly and there's a nice b road I can blast down a few times a week too if I'm in the other shop. But I'm managing my tyres better this time. My commute has lots of roundabouts and last time my left tyre wore down much quicker. Now both are evenly worn. 

• 3 weeks later...

Have you changed tyres yet?

& what did you go for?

Be aware that all 215/40R 17 maybe be no physically bigger in Total Diameter than some 205/R 17,

it is Brand Dependent..

As an example these are cheap Goodride tyres in 215/40R 17 i fitted, (marked as M+S)

and which are smaller in height than Pirelli's in a 205/40R 17, 

Just side by side here so no weight on the Pirelli, but they are noticeably bigger than many other 205's

I went for the 205 40 17 Michelin's instead. Also because I bought two 17" tyres I got a £50 fuel card too so I've had two for £150 plus £20 to fit. Drove to Goodwood and back no problems and initially they didn't feel anything special. Wasn't pushing hard since in the past I've found tyres have to bed in before working. When on my own one evening I went for a drive to Carmarthen via the A484 which is a road I know well. Once pushed the tyres seemed to switch on and there was buckets of grip, loads of confidence especially on long sweeping bends, no wheel spinning whatsoever and the XDS happily working well. There's also no tram lining on bad road either. Road to my cousin has always been bad and now I can cut a few mins off my journey time.

If anything they are a little too good. There's more grip than the car can handle now and for the first time I've started feeling roll on corners I wouldn't before because the grip was less. And these are just Pilot Sport 3's. Not in my size but they do a Super Sport and a cup tyre and I bet those are even better if not as long lasting. Drove in the wet today and feel fine. Rears are now on 3mm so won't be long to changing so I'll be sticking with the same. Overall I'm impressed

• Like 1

It was Camskill at the time for £100 each but minus £50 because Michelin had an offer on if you posted them the invoice they'd send a fuel card with £50 on it and true to their word they have. 

• Like 1

I think the size difference will make only a marginal difference overall and I've not made up my mind yet what to go for when I need to change.

I'm attracted to the 215's because the slightly higher gearing may help mpg,they will fill the wheel arches more and look better and the bigger side wall overhang may just give the wheels a bit more protection from damage.The slightly higher profile may help ride comfort.

TBH it will probably come down to price!!!