Yeti vs Evoque

kilted

Did anyone with a Yeti consider a Countryman?

Very briefly, but it's actually fairly similar to Evoke in concept if not looks, ie you'd buy it for its perceived style (not by me, but by many apparently, poor souls) rather than how well its function is executed.

Did anyone with a Yeti consider a Countryman? That's a similarly sized and powered vehicle. And closer in price to the yeti than the Evoque though still more expensive-Spec like for like.

Yes, I considered a Countryman but by the time I added all the standard features the Elegance has the price started getting a little silly!

I'm desperate to love a Land Rover, having driven the Freelander2 and Defender off road they are both superb cars and the Freelander2 has 150Kg of tow bar nose-weight, just think caravan and push-bikes loaded on the tow bar...perfection. But and this is a big BUT...reliability is very poor and every Land Rover owner I have spoken with agrees but discounts it?  So when SKODA start making Land Rovers I'll have one.

Let's be serious about this. On a scale of 10 for 'style' the Yeti probably gets a 1, and my

wife would think that was generous! The Evoque would come in at about 9.

I cannot see any Alderley Edge Mums choosing a Yeti for the school run over an Evoque.

They would rather be seen out in curlers by their friends than a Yeti.

Let's be serious about this. On a scale of 10 for 'style' the Yeti probably gets a 1, and my

wife would think that was generous! The Evoque would come in at about 9.

I cannot see any Alderley Edge Mums choosing a Yeti for the school run over an Evoque.

It all boils down to choice, regardless of location, up bringing or whatever. After all we are all different (even if my cat says we are all the same)  :giggle: 

More fool them. Emperor's clothes is a real phenomenon.

• Like 1

I love my Yeti because of it's utilitarian looks. I wouldn't have an Evoque

if somebody gave me one. Well, maybe that's not quite true!

When I first saw a white one parked at my little local village shop I immediately

had an image of what the driver would look like. Absolutely correct. A blond lady

of a certain age and overly smartly dressed for the village. Someone who you

would expect to see in a Merc convertible who would never have the roof down!

When I first saw a white one parked at my little local village shop I immediately

had an image of what the driver would look like. Absolutely correct.

Ah, confirmation bias. If they'd not matched your expectation you wouldn't be telling us about it now! ;)

As for the Countryman, no, I've not even considered one. The Evoque, to me, is good-ugly. The Countryman is ugly-ugly. This is, of course, just personal taste.

• Like 2

I'm desperate to love a Land Rover, having driven the Freelander2 and Defender off road they are both superb cars and the Freelander2 has 150Kg of tow bar nose-weight, just think caravan and push-bikes loaded on the tow bar...perfection. But and this is a big BUT...reliability is very poor and every Land Rover owner I have spoken with agrees but discounts it?  So when SKODA start making Land Rovers I'll have one.

I had my Freelander 2 for nearly 5 years and until last year never had a problem, last year I had a power steering pump fitted which was about £300 and this year I had a dead rear door which turned out to be the door module that cost me £30 to fix myself, previous to this I had a Discovery3, a Range Rover and a Freelander 1 and never had any problems with any of them so I can't agree with you on the Land Rovers lack of reliability. On the Evoke I have driven a couple of different models but discounted them preferring the Freelander overall and then going for the Yeti instead.

I've not yet driven either the FZl2 or the Evoke, but I will.

They seem very nice inside, but I prefer the FL2 for its hight driving position, but prefer the controls on the Evoke. Just based on sitting inside at the dealers.

Either would do. The Evoke is a little longer than the Yeti, may be 6", but the FL2 is a foot longer (roughly same size as old mk2 Octavia). Surprisingly the Evoke has a few mm more headroom in the back than the FL2. Looks can be deceptive!

I must say the new RR Sport is very impressive, but at double the cost of a Yeti, I can't justify (or afford) one. :lol:

The one at the dealer had side steps that opened when you opened the door. The wading depth is 850mm, which is 150mm more than the old RR Sport.

I will get some quotes next week to see how much more it would be than a CR170 L&K DSG with all options.

I followed a Nissan Cube tonight.............................................I think I prefer the Ewok!!

How can you not like a Cube?

It's a really clever design that dares to be different - something that people are always praising the yeti for.

• Like 1

And probably the reason why Nissan withdrew it from sale in Europe, after only 6 months. A total disaster, shame as the design and idea behind the Cube where quite good.Just goes to show that whats good for Japan doesn,t always go down well in Europe.

Tony

For those who praise the FL2 but arent keen on the Evoque, you really ain't gonna be to impressed with the FL3, just saying..lol.

Yup agree with you there...  Land Rover is doing the Audi cookie cutter thing now so the FL3 is going to look 90% (if not more) just like the Evok...  only a bit bigger.

• 4 months later...

I have arguments like this with my brother as at the same time we bought our Yeti he bought a brand new Audi Q3. Essentially very similar cars underneath both have a 2 liter turbo diesel under the bonnet (presumably very similar VAG based engines) but the Audi was nearly £15k more to buy. Essentially what you have is a very practical Yeti 4x4 vs a luxury Audi vehicle. We both actually like each others vehicles but I would never have considered the Audi due to the price tag and we wanted a practical family car which would compe with the bad weather in our neck of the woods whereas the brand and the luxury aspects of the car were important to my brother, so each to their own, very much the same as the Evoke vs Yeti debate although they seem to be of the 'i am considerably richer than yooouuuuu' persuasion, again I feel the cars are difficult to compare as they are aimed at completely different markets.

I have arguments like this with my brother as at the same time we bought our Yeti he bought a brand new Audi Q3. 

That's an interesting comparison because I've been looking at getting a Q3 as an alternative to my present Yeti. But I'd potentially quibble with the £15K price differential. Of course it depends totally on model and options comparison, but comparing eg a high-spec Yeti (say L&K 1.8TSi) and Q3 2.0Tsi (211 PS) on a roughly like-for-like options comparison and not going mad on the Q3 bling I've got quotes for the Q3 being about £6-7K more costly. Certainly, the Q3 is the more expensive choice, but not necessarily to the extent of £15K - discounts on the Q3 seem to be at least as much as are available on the Yeti.

So, I've been looking at the Q3, but not necessarily persuaded as yet.

For:

** Powerful (211PS) petrol engine available with DSG and acceptable (179) CO2

** Superior dashboard ergonomics - satnav high-up with no need to use touchscreen

** Significantly more refined

Against

** Stowage space and flexibility in the rear markedly inferior to the Yeti

** Dumpy styling

** The extra cost (which is still significant, if not £15K)

That's an interesting comparison because I've been looking at getting a Q3 as an alternative to my present Yeti. But I'd potentially quibble with the £15K price differential. Of course it depends totally on model and options comparison, but comparing eg a high-spec Yeti (say L&K 1.8TSi) and Q3 2.0Tsi (211 PS) on a roughly like-for-like options comparison and not going mad on the Q3 bling I've got quotes for the Q3 being about £6-7K more costly. Certainly, the Q3 is the more expensive choice, but not necessarily to the extent of £15K - discounts on the Q3 seem to be at least as much as are available on the Yeti.

So, I've been looking at the Q3, but not necessarily persuaded as yet.

For:

** Powerful (211PS) petrol engine available with DSG and acceptable (179) CO2

** Superior dashboard ergonomics - satnav high-up with no need to use touchscreen

** Significantly more refined

Against

** Stowage space and flexibility in the rear markedly inferior to the Yeti

** Dumpy styling

** The extra cost (which is still significant, if not £15K)

I think he has the S Line model with an auto gearbox and some extras like leather interior and rear view camera so I think it was about 14-15k more than our yeti (S 4x4 with a few extras). It is a very nice car but not as practical as our Yeti. I dont think he was too impressed with the Audi service, when his car came the DAB radio did not work and the response he got from the dealer was that some dont seem to have the dAB activated (although it is a standard spec) and most people dont seem to mind or notice.

• 1 year later...

Our horrible neighbours have a new company car - a black 2WD ( :D) Evoque - they're in an out of that car every 10mins in an attempt to lure our gaze upon their new shiny Frog Pram

Rant Over

Please feel free to join in 

• Like 1

It would be VERY interesting to compare  

How many of Evoque owners are actually buying their cars, or have on PCP, compared to the Yeti owners doing the same.

GIven the price difference i would purely guess that well over 80% of Evoques are on PCP, which would go a long way to explaining why their %'age 2nd hand values are not as good.

A snapshot taken today from Autotrader

post-1909-0-41093900-1432637237_thumb.png

post-1909-0-88110300-1432637237_thumb.png

• Like 1