The Skoda Yeti FL Discussion thread

Do you like the Yeti FL  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Yeti FL?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Do you miss the front fog lights? (multiple choice answers possible)

• Yes
    • No
    • Looks fine without
    • Looks worse without
  3. 3. Has the FL made you more inclined to buy a new Yeti

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Anyone know what 'Control of Logistics 2' (and of course not forgetting ditto, but 3) might be please? Given that it's a free option on L&K on the latest version of the configurator, I might be tempted, but haven't a clue what it might be. Or is it one of these things that's sort of added by default and just allows the dealer to track delivery or some such?

PS I see the CR170 DSG has resurfaced in Elegance but still not in L&K. Pretty bizarre and could be a showstopper for me if it continues to be be missing in L&K.

PS I see the CR170 DSG has resurfaced in Elegance but still not in L&K. Pretty bizarre and could be a showstopper for me if it continues to be be missing in L&K.

I thought the same for a while. But a specced up Elegance gives you the same car (minus brown leather and pretentious badges that look a bit naff in my opinion). I'm not bothered about the sunroof or Columbus. Furthermore Matterhorn wheels look better than the L&K Origami ones.

• Like 1

I'm not bothered about the sunroof or Columbus. Furthermore Matterhorn wheels look better than the L&K Origami ones.

Personally, I'll not be buying another car without built-in satnav so Columbus is a must-have. I'm really not bothered about the sunroof, but I'd really baulk at the principle of paying more for a lower-spec vehicle, which is where we're heading with the Elegance option. Wheels, I honestly couldn't care less about - anything will do and preferably 16".

Personally, I'll not be buying another car without built-in satnav so Columbus is a must-have. I'm really not bothered about the sunroof, but I'd really baulk at the principle of paying more for a lower-spec vehicle, which is where we're heading with the Elegance option. Wheels, I honestly couldn't care less about - anything will do and preferably 16".

Fair enough. But apart from better screen resolution what does a Columbus give you over an Amundsen?

But apart from better screen resolution what does a Columbus give you over an Amundsen?

I don't know is the honest answer (not actually having seen/used Amundsen at first hand), but given that Amundsen is a simpler/cheaper unit it presumably must be more limited.

I'd really like to think that toys in a new car would represent a step forwards not backwards and given that Columbus has its share of faults (poor touch sensitivity on the screen, routing algorithms are quite bizarre sometimes, etc) I'd regard existing Columbus functionality as the bare minimum in any new car.

Nothing wrong with the Amundsen. Had it as a standard fit in my last Yeti (Urban), and it  included DAB radio. Have specced it on my new FL as you can't have the rear camera without one of the 2 sat nav options. Only benefit I can see with the (much) more expensive Columbus is a bigger screen.

Only benefit I can see with the (much) more expensive Columbus is a bigger screen.

OK, well a significantly larger screen (and the higher resolution mentioned previously) would be more than enough for me to prefer Columbus - I'd regard them as both valuable enhancements. And, likely, there are other differences - is Amundsen DVD-based for instance?

But each to their own, I know that satnav tends to divide opinion. But for me, a built-in satnav with a screen that's as large and clear as possible is a make or break option.

I've ordered a Jungle Green 1.2 DSG SE, standard spec is very good, so i've only added light assistant, front seat isofix and the Amundsen with DAB. 

Despite an initial annoyance at the 1.6 CR DSG being promised in the UK press release and then not materialising, i think i've made the right choice.

Should arrive just in time for a 14 plate.

The Columbus has the ability to store 20GB of music and has in-built Bluetooth telephone 'connectivity' - does the Amundsen do these?

Just got my Yeti delivered with Amundsen unit and I do have factory fitted bluetooth option, but I don't know if its really built in the stereo unit itself or just an extra module attached to the stereo unit. As for storage I think Amundsen doesn't have that but still has the MicroSD slot which is where I have my 32Gb card with all the music of choice. Hope this helps.

Just got my Yeti delivered with Amundsen unit and I do have factory fitted bluetooth option, but I don't know if its really built in the stereo unit itself or just an extra module attached to the stereo unit. As for storage I think Amundsen doesn't have that but still has the MicroSD slot which is where I have my 32Gb card with all the music of choice. Hope this helps.

And here are the results:

Amunsden 1..........Columbus 1

I've ordered a Jungle Green 1.2 DSG SE, standard spec is very good, so i've only added light assistant, front seat isofix and the Amundsen with DAB. 

Despite an initial annoyance at the 1.6 CR DSG being promised in the UK press release and then not materialising, i think i've made the right choice.

Should arrive just in time for a 14 plate.

I'd suggest making sure the dealer puts that you want a 14 plate on your order form.

Otherwise if it comes early you'll be pressed into registering it on a 63 to bump up February sales figures.

Just worth mentioning...  unless you don't really care.  For the sake of a week or two, I'd always go for the later plate as it's worth a bit more come resale time.

• Like 1

And here are the results:

Amunsden 1..........Columbus 1

Having decided that an extra £535 for the Amundsen (just for DAB and satnav) is ludicrous (the £1630 for the Columbus is just plain greed!), I'm sticking with the Bolero provided as standard.  £535 is more than I'm prepared to pay, given that the only difference between the Bolero and the Amundsen appears to be the DAB and the satnav.  I have a perfectly good satnav, which has free updates (Skoda appear to charge an arm and a leg for updates) and if FM ever does get replaced by DAB (looking increasingly unlikely in the foreseeable future) I'll consider a DAB add-on at that far distant point if I still have the car.

So, maybe:   Amundsen 1..........Columbus 1.......................Bolero 1  :happy:

• Like 1

I sidestepped the debate by buying an L&K. I had a perfectly serviceable garmin and an adequate Bolero. DAB is a good thing-essential in the test match special sense. Add on DABs are an inelegant and essentially second rate solution. I cannot tolerate the cats cradle of wires that additional devices so often entail-I had the garmin powered by a concealed hard wired supply so it didn't offend.

The columbus is very capable and just works well with full integration and i run it with the nav instructions muted and the turn directions on the maxidot. My iPhone simply joins the system whenever I get in the car.

• Like 1

I myself could do without sat-nav as I had already other "portable" sat-nav too but if I am honest then I have to admit that built-in sat-nav, integrated in the stereo unit is way much more convenient than anything else I used in the past. Remains to be seen about performance/upgrades though. So far it copes well for me and I really think I did the right thing ordering it as an extra (Amundsen). And yes Columbus seems a bit greedy for me too given my needs and the added price tag.

I myself could do without sat-nav as I had already other "portable" sat-nav too but if I am honest then I have to admit that built-in sat-nav, integrated in the stereo unit is way much more convenient than anything else I used in the past. Remains to be seen about performance/upgrades though. So far it copes well for me and I really think I did the right thing ordering it as an extra (Amundsen). And yes Columbus seems a bit greedy for me too given my needs and the added price tag.

The Columbus is only silly money on anything less than an L&K.  On the L&K it comes included in the price and as a package and with all the standard options the L&K has, it is very good value for money. A no brainer compared to an Elegance with but one or two options added. To spec "my" car again it is not even £400 more for an L&K and then I get the Columbus and heated windscreen "for free". A no brainer as I said.

• Like 2

The Columbus is only silly money on anything less than an L&K.  On the L&K it comes included in the price and as a package and with all the standard options the L&K has, it is very good value for money. A no brainer compared to an Elegance with but one or two options added. To spec "my" car again it is not even £400 more for an L&K and then I get the Columbus and heated windscreen "for free". A no brainer as I said.

Agreed. And that's the way I thought and acted upon it too. 

Had we the L&K trim in our country I certainly would have considered it. But we don't hence no trim comes with Columbus as standard. The best system one can get as standard here is Amundsen in Experience trim and then add another 1250 Euros to that for a Columbus unit which would be too much for me given my needs since Amundsen is more than good enough. The only thing I would envy regarding Columbus is the bigger screen which I find it's a plus but then again 5" screen is not small either.