The Skoda Yeti FL Discussion thread

Do you like the Yeti FL  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Yeti FL?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Do you miss the front fog lights? (multiple choice answers possible)

• Yes
    • No
    • Looks fine without
    • Looks worse without
  3. 3. Has the FL made you more inclined to buy a new Yeti

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

TP, you aren't overly enthused by the new Yeti and yet you own a Fabia? Do you not prefer the look of the new Yeti (in either spec) to the Fabia?  It will be interesting to see the proper photos at the Frankfurt Show but so far I think it looks great (in Outdoor spec). 

I wonder how long it will be before Skoda dealers start offering round foglight accessory packages (rally/Mini style) for buyers of the new model who miss their round bits.

Wasn't taken by the early MkII Fabia after the MkI but the II FL is much better, particularly the Monte, so a reverse of the Yeti situation :giggle:

TP

Whoops! How funny. That URL was meant for my sister in New Zealand! Lol. Now updated :)

I'll edit it out of my reply...   Fixed.  

Metal grey on the new "Skaudi A3", from the configurator at http://new.skoda-auto.com/en/models/rapid-spaceback/

It is VERY dark...  I would have hoped it would be more akin to the discontinued Steel / Platin grey.  I don't like it.

Wasn't taken by the early MkII Fabia after the MkI but the II FL is much better, particularly the Monte, so a reverse of the Yeti situation :giggle:

TP

The Monte version is a very striking car, particiularly in the bright red that I saw recently. Nothing like the other Fabias. Maybe Skoda will make you a Monte version of the new Yeti to keep you on side  :happy:

Have only skimmed through the thread but, if I may, I'll add my 2p worth with regards to the facelift.

As mentioned the loss of the round fog lights was inevitable IMO, but the designers have at least tried to still make the car stand out from the usual bunch, not as much I might add but a bit.

The Outdoor, Scout, whatever it's going to be called is probably aimed at trying to retain the current Yetiist with the big plastic bumpers whereas the Indoor (nicely put Richard - there goes your discount  :rofl: ) is, at a guess trying to tap in to the school run brigade of chiselled looks rather than 4x4 or towing capabilities.

Only my thoughts but hopefully they make at least a bit of sense  :wonder:

Ansum's concern re engines is a good point. I've been doing some digging out CO2/kerbweight figures for the Superb for comparison purposes since it too is a facelft non-MQB model. Superb 1.6TDi 1534kg  117 g/km; 1.6TDi Greenline 1541kg  109g/km; 2.0TDi 140PS 1554kg  119g/km.

Now the Yeti is a fair bit lighter so you would expect slightly less CO2 emissions if the engines are the same. Also what will they do with the existing 110PS 2 litre engine? My preference would be 2 WD with 2.0TDi 140PS with emissions under 120g - surely that's possible?

• Like 1

Ansum's concern re engines is a good point. I've been doing some digging out CO2/kerbweight figures for the Superb for comparison purposes since it too is a facelft non-MQB model. Superb 1.6TDi 1534kg  117 g/km; 1.6TDi Greenline 1541kg  109g/km; 2.0TDi 140PS 1554kg  119g/km.

Now the Yeti is a fair bit lighter so you would expect slightly less CO2 emissions if the engines are the same. Also what will they do with the existing 110PS 2 litre engine? My preference would be 2 WD with 2.0TDi 140PS with emissions under 120g - surely that's possible?

I would find it hard to believe that a little tweakery pokery hasn't gone on. A look on the Rapid forum shows that people are getting mid fifties mpg in gentle driving from the 1.2TSI these days, far more that the same engine in the Fabia. Have they updated the engine for the latest models perhaps?

Unclear from the press reports if the 'City' version will be 2WD only and the 'Outdoor' 4WD only??

Knowing Skoda UK we are unlikely get a decent choice especially if you want DSG.

Would be nice to have a choice of 1.2Tsi or 1.4Tsi DSG (2WD). One can only dream.

As a conservative driver would like the 'City' with 2WD DSG if only to

not having to keep clean the awful textured black skirts and bumpers

and also reduce the cost of Peanut Butter and other Halford's concoctions.

Like the idea of a 1.4Tsi DSG. Apart from only a small increase in 'umph'

over the 1.2 what are the other characteristics of the 1.4 over the 1.2?

I would find it hard to believe that a little tweakery pokery hasn't gone on...

Do agree in general that the concern is focusing on available engine/gearbox specs now that the general shape etc of the FL is known.

It's depressing that it does rather sound like there may be no improvement in the specs of the 1.8TSi engine over the 160PS and 189 CO2 of the current model. This CO2 emission is just not competitive in a 120-125kW class petrol engine. Would be nice to think that maybe there'll be better news when the full engine line-up is announced, but I fear that's wishful thinking again. Perhaps, as someone else suggested, there'll be a change in engine spec for MY15 (though that would be pretty soon after the FL introduction). Why is it that the Yeti you really want is always a case of jam tomorrow?

Presumably in another 3 years or so there will be a complete makeover for the Yeti and at that time the engine line-up will be fully revised. This is only an interim facelift, after all!

Presumably in another 3 years or so there will be a complete makeover for the Yeti and at that time the engine line-up will be fully revised. This is only an interim facelift, after all!

The reason this FL is so "light" (i.e. it didn't cost them much to do*) is because it will only last for two years.  New MQB based Yeti mk II will be out late 2015 or early 2016.

* Two new front and rear bumper designs, a new bonnet, front wings and rear lights.  And that is the extent of what they have to change. A VERY cheap (but successful) facelift this.

Much of the comment about the conjectural and now the 'released' FL appearance has been about the front end, though all the new pics of course show the whole car.  With (I sincerely hope) Johann's retrospective permission, I've cropped two of his comparative pics at #81 above to concentrate on the front:

Yetifaces_zps17f41558.jpg

Without the rest of the vehicle body to attract the eye, it's easier to see just what they've done to our Yeti's cheeky face: 

1   New bonnet pressing (compare break line between upper grille and headlamp module)

2   New front wheelarch panel (compare headlamp shape and length of break line between wheelarch panel and front panel) 

3   Cheekbones (below the headlights) pulled out to give a crease line

4   Strange and completely alien squared hood over the foglamps and 'brake scoop'. 

5   The numberplate panel extended down into the lower grille area.

6   A new set of three mini-grilles added below the lower grille. 

7   In the case of the 'Outdoor' (where else would you drive the thing?) the squarey thing at 4 above droops down to the black skirt line - that, together with the new jutting jawline, is where the sad face  :(  comes from. 

The original front may not have been the pinnacle of good aesthetics but at least the various elements were visually simple, didn't contradict, and combined into a readily recognisable whole.  The designer (/design team) has now been pressured into drawing up a bigger mix of straight lines as well as curves that, whilst not being downright ugly, results in an unhappy anonymity.  In my day, it would have been called 'fussy'. 

The 'triangulated' boot lid is a straightforward change for the sake of change; I expect it will still give a shower to the unwary user. 

If I were coming to it now as a prospective purchaser, the FL appearance wouldn't actually put me off.  The unnecessary visual changes still leave it a Yeti but,sadly, they have taken something away from its idiosyncratic character. 

• Like 1

Much of the comment about the conjectural and now the 'released' FL appearance has been about the front end, though all the new pics of course show the whole car.  With (I sincerely hope) Johann's retrospective permission, I've cropped two of his comparative pics at #81 above to concentrate on the front:

If I were coming to it now as a prospective purchaser, the FL appearance wouldn't actually put me off.  The unnecessary visual changes still leave it a Yeti but,sadly, they have taken something away from its idiosyncratic character. 

You really don't need permission!  This is all of our discussion and people can use the image I made from images I got freely from the web as they please!  

As to the last paragraph: the something they took away is the round fog lights an in my book they counted for about 5% of the Yeti idiosyncratic nature.  The wrap around windscreen and front door glass are still there.  The body colour B-pillars are still there.  As is the wrap around rear glass, the upright tail, the low flat proportions at the front. To me 95% of what makes a Yeti a Yeti is still there.  The nose might be a bit busier on the Outdoor - far less so on the jutting chin City - but even so it suits the Outdoor nature.  I love it.

Now shall we predict what SUK will do?  I think everything will be exactly as at present (engines and E, S, SE, SE plus, Elegance and L&K) with each current model having either a CITY or OUTDOOR tick on the options list (as if it was an option) with the anomalies being:

• The L&K will be only be had in 1,8 petrol, 2,0 140 and 170 in manual and DSG (as per the current Yeti) BUT only in CITY spec and you will have NO choice but the brown leather (and no red exterior colour  :giggle: sorry Richard)
  • The Greenline and GreenTec models will also only be in CITY spec since the aerodynamics of these might be 0,00004% better than the OUTDOOR

There will be no 1,8 DSG petrol.  The manual's emissions are horrific enough so imagine adding DSG to that?  Will be suicide in terms of average emissions in the UK to launch it I guess.  Even though it exists elsewhere (where fuel is much cheaper).

But as ever SUK will think up some bizarre anomalies I'm sure.  What do you guys think these will be?  Will they perhaps reserve the OUTDOOR for 4x4 only and the CITY for 2wd and 4x4 (to allow bigger engined 140 and up CITY spec cars)?  Maybe not as daft as it sounds...  CITY for all and OUTDOOR for 4x4 only?

But as I said before in an ideal world I would want an L&K in OUTDOOR spec...  but I just feel it in my bones that SUK won't make one.  :-(

Why is it seems that only UK has a limited range.

And if the choice is Brown interior or Brown leather count me out (yuk)

Reminds me of a Morris Marina!

Why is it seems that only UK has a limited range. And if the choice is Brown interior or Brown leather count me out (yuk) Reminds me of a Morris Marina!

As per the photo it is ONLY very dark brown seats and door cards.  NOTHING on the dash is brown. I think it looks fantastic.

skye00_520a5d98b498c.jpg

You really don't need permission!  This is all of our discussion and people can use the image I made from images I got freely from the web as they please!  

As to the last paragraph: the something they took away is the round fog lights an in my book they counted for about 5% of the Yeti idiosyncratic nature.  The wrap around windscreen and front door glass are still there.  The body colour B-pillars are still there.  As is the wrap around rear glass, the upright tail, the low flat proportions at the front. To me 95% of what makes a Yeti a Yeti is still there.  The nose might be a bit busier on the Outdoor - far less so on the jutting chin City - but even so it suits the Outdoor nature.  I love it.

I agree, so much of what makes a Yeti a Yeti is still there. There is nothing directly comparable to in on the market and I think the facelift has brought it tastefully up to date (unlike some facelifts). I still think that one of the most successful facelifts ever was for the Nissan Qashqai. Turned a frumpy looking thing into a sharp suited set of wheels. The Yeti didn't need such radical surgery but what they have done looks good to me.

Would be interesting to start a poll amongst prospective, current and previous Yeti owners as to whether the facelift has made them more or less inclined to buy a new Yeti, or whether it hasn't affected their opinion. I suppose it is a little pointless until we know the specs/prices though.