New vRS,.. sorry to say not impressed.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that secondhand cars have no value. In May we sold our Yeti Elegance at just over 3 years old and 44K on the clock for £14,800, it's new cost was £20,008.09 - so it retained 74% of it's original value.

Also in May this year (May was an exciting month for us!) my just under three year old MK2 FL vRS CR estate was nicked and the insurance company offered me £14K in settlement against a car that had cost just a shade under £20K. The car turned up (thankfully undamaged) so I wasn't able to take advantage of their generous offer.

I get "the idea" from looking at car prices, mostly. You've done very well with the Yeti as quick look at autotrader reveals £14-15k easily buys last years Elegance in both petrol and diesel disguise. I can only speculate certain options made it rarity in your geographical location.

Insurance quote was unusually high considering O2FL vRS CR could be had from fleet dealers for less than £16k back in a day and most insurance payouts are usually based on trade valuations rather than second hand market value, which for a three year old o2FL vRS Estate with 33k on the clock would be between £7,500.00 and £8,000. It could have been slightly higher back in may, before new model and magical "reg plate" change over, but not by double.

As a "same wallet, different side of the coin" story, my three years old and two months old L&K O2FL with everything factory had plus couple of mainland continent options added was valued couple of weeks as part exchange by Skoda at a tad under £7k. Valuation using Glass' book confirms the trade in value of the car to be between £6700 and £7200 before even adjusting for my above average mileage. Basic valuations on Glass' and other black book providers are free, you're welcome to see for yourself.

Edited by v0n

Indeed Audi only. It's located around the "back passage" so you can indeed fell like you're being "screwed from behind" whilst you see just how much you paid to have those 4 circles on your steering wheel.

i should take offence to this comment!! ;)

Fun fact.

My dealer had a petrol vRS in today and they HAD to have a vRS vs 1.8 4x4.. :P

they was very surprised how small of a difference there were.

The Vrs won, but only just, and as they agreed on. If the surface had been the slightest wet, the vRS would have been left behind.. 

Fun fact.

My dealer had a petrol vRS in today and they HAD to have a vRS vs 1.8 4x4.. :P

they was very surprised how small of a difference there were.

The Vrs won, but only just, and as they agreed on. If the surface had been the slightest wet, the vRS would have been left behind..

Probably only a "race" from standstill? The traction from standstill will be better for the 4x4 but the 0-200 or 30-120, will be a different story..

Not by much off course. The 1.8 is a fast car

I get "the idea" from looking at car prices, mostly. You've done very well with the Yeti as quick look at autotrader reveals £14-15k easily buys last years Elegance in both petrol and diesel disguise. I can only speculate certain options made it rarity in your geographical location. No, it only had metallic and TPM as options. It was bought by a trader.

Insurance quote was unusually high considering O2FL vRS CR could be had from fleet dealers for less than £16k back in a day and most insurance payouts are usually based on trade valuations rather than second hand market value, which for a three year old o2FL vRS Estate with 33k on the clock would be between £7,500.00 and £8,000. It could have been slightly higher back in may, before new model and magical "reg plate" change over, but not by double. But that's the offer they made and I would have accepted if it hadn't been recovered promptly and in the same condition.

As a "same wallet, different side of the coin" story, my three years old and two months old L&K O2FL with everything factory had plus couple of mainland continent options added was valued couple of weeks as part exchange by Skoda at a tad under £7k. Valuation using Glass' book confirms the trade in value of the car to be between £6700 and £7200 before even adjusting for my above average mileage. Basic valuations on Glass' and other black book providers are free, you're welcome to see for yourself. My vRS has every extra bar columbus and side airbags, so pretty high spec. I would expect it to fetch well over £8K. Cheapest vRS CR estate on Autotrader is £10K with 61K miles and no extras.

@Kabe111, the differences will show up in the higher speeds where traction isn't that much of an issue anymore. A VRS will leave you far behind above 100 km/h. Much higher torque, actually very close in weight and higher hp. Also the in-gear acceleration should be quite a lot better for the VRS for the same reasons.

No doubt the 1.8 4x4 is pretty awesome and you should be happy to have it! Would've been my second choice after the VRS. :)

Special editions like the blackline which are what they are and can't have factory options are often sold at a loss or with very little profit if any.

Various reasons for this. To get you in and up sell you a factory order, model phase out so using up parts, or to fill factory slack and give workers something to do.

I think that the blackline was unlikely to be sold at a loss somehow.

Always work on the premise of a third parts, a third labour and a third profit - ie there was only less of a profit due to the heavy discounting.

Quite happy to be corrected if a dealer wishes to show me their sales invoice from skoda uk.

I can't even see an option for a 1.8 TSI 4x4 ...only options are tdi I can find in the UK...

They don't import the 1.8 in the UK. :)

Probably only a "race" from standstill? The traction from standstill will be better for the 4x4 but the 0-200 or 30-120, will be a different story..

Not by much off course. The 1.8 is a fast car

This was a test on normal roads, so they kept it "around" legal speed limits.. ;)

@Kabe111, the differences will show up in the higher speeds where traction isn't that much of an issue anymore. A VRS will leave you far behind above 100 km/h. Much higher torque, actually very close in weight and higher hp. Also the in-gear acceleration should be quite a lot better for the VRS for the same reasons.

No doubt the 1.8 4x4 is pretty awesome and you should be happy to have it! Would've been my second choice after the VRS. :)

Of course the vRS would be better on a track, but in everyday use I'm not so sure, at least not here in this winter/rain country .. :p :p

Next year when the 2.0 TDI 4x4 DSG scout comes out, I think that would be even better. not from 0-100 but overall.. :)

I'm real happy with the 1.8 4x4... (When my wife lets me borrow it) LOL

Edited by Kabe111

I think that the blackline was unlikely to be sold at a loss somehow.

Always work on the premise of a third parts, a third labour and a third profit - ie there was only less of a profit due to the heavy discounting.

Quite happy to be corrected if a dealer wishes to show me their sales invoice from skoda uk.

I meant Skoda not the dealers selling for less margin.

New car ordered get it in October, gone for the Golf GTD in black, running it for a coiuple of years then give to swmbo and look for another something or other, At the end of the day price, performance, fit and finish was the decider. 

• Like 1

New car ordered get it in October, gone for the Golf GTD in black, running it for a coiuple of years then give to swmbo and look for another something or other, At the end of the day price, performance, fit and finish was the decider.

Well done,the gtd is a nice car.

Cheers Gary, I toyed with the red, but in the end went for black, will probably regret it when I've washed it for the upteenth time but hey.. Image below of a black MK7 they all look the same to me too... ;)

2013vwgolfmk7gtdblack.jpg

• Like 1

With a bit of looking about a golf GTi with the performance pack and adaptive suspension is not much more than the Octavia.

Might have to blag a test drive. Also the S3 is not a mega amouth more (though not quite as much kit), and that's got quattro.

With a bit of looking about a golf GTi with the performance pack and adaptive suspension is not much more than the Octavia.

Might have to blag a test drive. Also the S3 is not a mega amouth more (though not quite as much kit), and that's got quattro.

All depends on how you are paying for it.

None are close to the Octy if you take finance.

Seat Leon ST revealed in Frankfurt today. Close enough to O3 space. 1.8TSI @180hp available. 2.0 TDI @184 HP available. 4x4 DSG available. Lighter. Press indicates diesel does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds. No torsion beam at the back. All O3 toys plus new VW toys. DCC Adaptive Chassis Control with variable damper adjustment. Price it up en par with O3 and it's game over. Because why would you?

Those of us that picked Auto Express this morning know the score already. Seat Leon ST (estate) 1.8T 180hp DSG in FR trim. RRP £1k below vRS TSI. Chassis Control with dumper adjustment in addition to drive profile, cruise, confirmed as standard. All O3 toys including XDS+, LED, "engine note" malarky included just like vRS. ACC, Dynamic pack with progressive steering will probably probably be an option though. Broker discounts predicted on the base of current hatchback and coupe model @ 16%.

I know my pic was a mark 6, couldn't find a mark 7

in black and I hoped nobody would notice  :p

In any case, nice car. I like a black car me....

Gary its a car forum mate..how could you expect to get away with that one.. :D  There was a deep metalic blue in the stealers, that was rather nice as well.

Those of us that picked Auto Express this morning know the score already. Seat Leon ST (estate) 1.8T 180hp DSG in FR trim. RRP £1k below vRS TSI. Chassis Control with dumper adjustment in addition to drive profile, cruise, confirmed as standard. All O3 toys including XDS+, LED, "engine note" malarky included just like vRS. ACC, Dynamic pack with progressive steering will probably probably be an option though. Broker discounts predicted on the base of current hatchback and coupe model @ 16%.

Excellent. Does that mean you're finally leaving us to join a Seat forum? ;-)

• Like 2

Can't think why that news would make me more interested in the Seat over the vRS?

No offense, but the Leon Estate looks like it was designed by a Korean. It resembles a Kia/Hyundai more than any VAG or Euro alternative. The Octy looks more classy, and whilst it misses out on a few toys it gains practicality and those extra 40PS. One plus for the Leon is that the waiting will be shorter.

Edited by Orville