Wind deflectors

Surely you only need wind deflectors if you drive with the windows down at speed and why would you do this when all Octavias have air con as standard which means windows stay closed and the interior stays nicely cooled.

No car has needed these since the 70's

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all id like to add my 2 pence to this chat

Ok First  i have allways fitted wind defletors to my 4x4 trucks did a great Job and im going to fit them to my octavia

The Reasons are simple i left my window down just a tad the other day and the rain pored in all over my front window controls  and busted them Cost 20 pounds to replace window tints Cost  24 pounds and last forever

I totaly agree with any one who says they are good value  and do the job as they realy do and emay has lots there  the fitting is simple make shore you clean the area to fit them with  a cleaning solution  brake cleaner works well or switch cleaner is good

They come with a sticky foam that you just peel off one side and very carefully fit onto your window edges a it is best to  do a dry run fitting them first  before you  peel off as they are a one time fit get it wrong and you kinda stuffed

so my own advice is yes buy them and fit them realy good

all the best Anthoney

Edited by anthoney

• 2 months later...

Still don't understand why you need wind deflectors in a car with aircon.

I think some people just like to have the windows down now and again, I know I do. But on a really hot day, windows up and aircon on ;)  They can look aesthetically appealing. Remember, what one person thinks looks good is different to someone else.  I used to have them fitted to my old car, an Astra Sports Hatch. I'll be honest I took them off after a couple of months. They looked good but they were noisy (I tried playing around with fitment, nothing worked) and they slightly obscured my vision at the A pillar. I've heard good things about them for the VRS Hatch. (as long as you get the Skoda OEM ones) No noise and stops that annoying water drip you can get sometimes that soaks the seats when opening the door after raining. (I've had it a couple of times after parking on a slight slope) Plus the black deflectors against the red of my car looks pretty good in the pictures I've seen :) Again, it's personal choice :) 

1. Even with windows closed, don't they disturb the airflow, adversely affecting the drag coefficient, and thus increase fuel comsumption?

2. Opening a window will also affect airflow, adversely affecting the drag coefficient, and thus increase fuel comsumption?

OK, having the climate control (not aircon - that's different) permanently on fully automatic uses fuel, but when I've experimented with turning CC off in my past four motors I haven't been able to record any material differences in consumption. Anyone else?

Neverlandy - any photos yet?

Still don't understand why you need wind deflectors in a car with aircon.

Speaking for myself its because I am like a dog, got to have that air.  

I also smoke so wind deflectors prevent me getting a wet lap when its raining and still allow me to poke the end of the ciggy out of the window so that the air rushing by will take the excess ash away.  

Speaking for myself its because I am like a dog, got to have that air.  

I also smoke so wind deflectors prevent me getting a wet lap when its raining and still allow me to poke the end of the ciggy out of the window so that the air rushing by will take the excess ash away.  

What comes out of the vents, if not air?

...and the car behind... or motorcyclist... or cyclist... or pedestrian... gets your fag ash or dog-ends all over them. Instead of your ashtray.

• 1 year later...

They are pretty Good i have the Heki version on my 2005 estate and they not only improve the look of the car they are brilliant at keeping water from running off roof and into car when window open even slightly . Back o/s came unstuck after a couple of years so i removed both backs .Fronts are still going strong i am just looking for another set for my newer Estate .

• 3 months later...

My car is being traded on Friday of this week and I have a set of team heko for mk3 combi VRs if anyone is still looking. They work a treat and are really simple to fit.

Will also have a travall dog guard, full hatch bag liner with bumper protector and OE boot tray for non variable floor.

On 15/09/2018 at 14:45, JimmyUK said:

Bought the wind deflectors from Superskoda for my MK3 VRS245. Do you have to use the metal clips? If yes assuming you have to place them in with sharp grip facing into car?

From memory yes, the flat edge goes againest the flat plastic and the spike digs into the window surround.

• Thanks 1