Best tires Mk1 fabia VRS

sjs77

Hi all

Are any off you running or had any experience with Dunlop sport maxx RT's, thinking about sticking these on the front of my Mk1 Fabia VRS, seen mixed reviews some say amazing some say don't bother, any other suggestions for decent tires below £100 a piece?

Really? Another vRS tyre thread :dull:

Guess so :(

Oh well, I have nothing better to do at work so I'll wade in with my 2p worth....

I am currently running on Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta all around as they were on my Spiders when I bought them and have since paid to get the same again as I was really impressed. These are awesome in the dry, 10x better than Toyo T1-r's in the wet and wear a hell of a lot better too.

I had Toyo T-1r's all round previously which were good in the dry but garbage in the wet and were quick to be eaten by the road and massively over-priced IMHO for this reason.

I have also had Kumho KU39 on stock vRS alloys. I would pick those over the Toyo's anyday as were almost as good in the dry, better in the wet, lasted longer and are cheap but decent tyre.

With my 17" spiders I've ran both Toyo TR1's and Hankook V12's. I'm not keen on the TR1's - they handle poorly in the wet and wear out very quickly. The V12's were better if not a few quid more. Both handle shocklingly bad in the snow (no suprise)

Hi all

Are any off you running or had any experience with Dunlop sport maxx RT's, thinking about sticking these on the front of my Mk1 Fabia VRS, seen mixed reviews some say amazing some say don't bother, any other suggestions for decent tires below £100 a piece?

All tyres are a compromise, tyres that are good in the wet are not so good in the dry and vice versa, you live in Cornwall where it rains a lot and the roads are narrow so ultimate dry grip will not be so much use to you. Continental tyres are a good wet-biased choice in my experience.

In common with many members here I actually have two sets of wheels, one set for the wet season and a set for the dry. I have a feeling I'll be swapping them soon enough.

Thanks guys for the helpful comments, much appreciated and apologies to those clearly tired (excuse the pun) of the topic, my original question did specifically relate to the dunlop sport maxx RT's I've trawled through previous posts but found no mention of these.

Thanks sepulechrave you hit the nail on the head, I live in not so sunny Cornwall so am surrounded by small winding roads that are great fun rallying when late to work but but pretty damn scary in the wet!!!! I'm determied to find a tire with a happy compromise of wet grip and dry handling, as I'm reluctant to fork out for a winter set and summer set. The uniroyal rain sports sounded good but I've heard several stories of the side walls damaging too easily in pot holed roads, If i was to avoid pot holed roads round here I'd have to stay at home!!! 

Just found a good deal on a pair of michelin pilot sport 3's, only problem is they have a speed rating of Y instead of the recommended w, I understand that these are over rated but would this have any adverse effects? I'm guessing that a tyre with a higher speed rating has a thicker wall and a harder compound and may lead to a firmer ride. 

As I understand the higher the speed rating the stronger the tread part of the tyre, sidewalls are related more to load index.

As far as a asking what are the best tyres, if you ask 10 people you will get at least 11 different answers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

Expensive tyres suck

I bought the standard ones (Bridgestone?they are the OEMs aren't they?) a while back.

I think one of them because of leak/puncture/ low pressure I was told was toast due to the tyre inside had broken down due to overheating inside and turned to beads (not sure if I was fed a line from Kwik fit)

The other, with no doubt an issue with the tyre was thanks to me being a tiny bit ill and taking a very slow corner slightly wrong, fouled the sidewall effectively ripping a tear in the sidewall, bad luck.

So 2x £100 tyres rendered useless newish tyres with tons of tread left. Never bought another Bridgestone since.

Nah, good quality but fair priced tyres all the way. Toyos have been pretty good. I wouldn't go for Kumhos again because they wear so oddly / so damn noisy. Just whatever is cheap but still meant to be decent quality will do for me.

Got to admit the rain sports were top of the list, got put off when i read a bad review saying the side walls were soft causing bad cornering and easily damaged on poor road surfaces, you've got me thinking now tho :think:

I've never had a problem with Uniroyals up until Monday when my NSF got a puncture. Not sure if it was just a puncture (could happen with any tyre) or caused by the pot-holed road I drive to work on. .

Anyway I need to replace it. The other front is on 3.5-4 mm tread (new they have 9mm), so not sure weather to replace one or buy a matching pair. If I do replace the pair I'm not sure to buy RS2s again or spent £20 more per tyre on Asymmetric 2s.

Yep the Asymmetric 2s sound good too, just need to choose between them the sortmaxx RT's or the RS2'S, they've all got to be better than the Maxxis R1's that the rob dogs at my local tyre store talked me into buying, never known a tyre to ware so quickly, c*ap in the dry but strangly seem very slightly better in the wet!! 

Well I hope everyone who recommends the Rainsport 2 s are right, as I've just ordered a pair (£152 inc p+p on good old flea bay, by far the best price for w rated 83 RS2's I could find.) !! just couldn't  stretch to the pilot sports.  :think: