Just purchased 11 plate fabia vrs, poor mpg, is this normal.

Baz192

Hi there i have just purchased 11 plate vrs with 14000 miles on clock and i have thrashed it and drove it like a sunday driver and cant seem to get the mpg about 32mpg is this normal for 1 of these as i thought they done high 40 to 50 driving sensible

Hi there i have just purchased 11 plate vrs with 14000 miles on clock and i have thrashed it and drove it like a sunday driver and cant seem to get the mpg about 32mpg is this normal for 1 of these as i thought they done high 40 to 50 driving sensible

When i had mine a couple of years ago it averaged 31mpg (worked out, not based on trip computer) with a range of different driving styles. On a 225mile motorway run i got 46mpg again worked out. Personally i thought that was good.

• Like 1

Baz 192,

What tyres are on your car, Brand, & are you running Tesco 99 or Sainsburrys Super Unleaded,?

Maybe the car is needing a ECU upgrade.

I will come south past the Average Speed Cameras tomorrow and down to Dutch House & if i zero the average at the top of the hill, i will be getting 50 + MPG by the time i go to Tesco to fill up, brim the tank.

Same if i go around by Prestwick and along the road past Sainsburys.

(before that i will have used fuel at around about 35 MPG over the 140 miles. I brim it in Perth.)

Then past Dunure, Maidens to Girvan not slow,

and then back to Ayr and Tesco via Maidens, and i can only get 5 litres in for the 50 miles.

If you want i can catch up with you Friday Evening or the week later Sat/Sun and see how your car feels.

just PM me.  You can drive mine and see  what you can do for MPG on a wee blast.

george

just got car through mrs work it has original dunlops on it, it aint the tyre problems had dunlop on my octavia vrs and got 56mpg, i set up alignment with hunter equipment i have in my work to see if it helped. i dropped her off at her work ayr today and sat 60 mph all way home and to irvine and still no budge and sat 60mph to go pick her up and 60 mph on way home still 32 mpg. place got car from filled car up and theres  no chance a 10 to 15 mpg difference on fuel grade surely, wot colour ur fabia george so can look out for u about ayrshire?? 

I do regularly, Prestwick, Irvine, Crosshouse, Troon etc and its easily 45+ mpg at that speeds, and best economy on Dunlops.

And the often onto Greenock via Largs, and thats also 45 mpg easily with passengers.

3 MPG difference possibly on the 99 RON from using 95 Ron.

So £2.50 extra and you get maybe an extra 25 miles per tank, and the car does run much better..

Sounds like something up with your car i am afraid.

george

I get 37.5mpg measured with mixed driving, Ayr to Kilmarnock 36 miles round trip each day plus longer runs at weekends, trip computer thingy usually says about 40mpg, its a 2010 standard car, no tweaks and 25k miles on it now.

Like Georges offer if you want, you can drop round ( I'm in Ayr ) and see how you get on driving mine if you want to compare, just PM me.

Gordon.

gonna change oil and filter and put super unleaded in it just incase wen they serviced it before bought it put rong oil in it and then see how it goes if still same will b gettin taken back to them. traded octavia vrs in against it which was doing 56mpg average and 40mpg wen gettin thrashed 

Regularly in 40-50 area ,using Sainsburys Super unleaded.

Smooth driving style I'm told.

Tyre pressure checked regularly- Dunlop maxx as fitted to car from new. Tyres last 27000 miles on front with tyre rotation being used at services. Indication of driving style I would think.

Driven hard ,car would return mid 30's.

PX mine at 28500,  

Really enjoyed the driving experience.

Sounds like something not right with yours.

My partner has a 11 plt Fabia vRS , and she also gets t0p 30 into mid 40's consistently . Her style is quick but not so smooth

Your old Octy that gave 56mpg avg is that a petrol? Seems high relative to what I had out of a mk5 golf gti.

My car is a 2010 and no matter what I have ever done on a Motorway run has never hit 50+mpg, taking Manchester Airport as a complete 44 mile run I do often, 44 including a mile or so from my house to get onto the motorway and my best ever runs hit about 47mpg, and that is at three AM mostly on the flat with barely a soul on the road and me hypermileing for all my life's worth.

But I did buy a sporty car that I knew runs best on 98ron fuel or better and had a brisk 0-60mph. My experience is that moderate forties should be achievable on most motorway runs of 20 miles or more, however any kind of inclines kills mpg.

Hope you get to the bottom of things.

I have a 19 mile commute to work on B roads which rarely get over 50mph traffic flow and has some start stop sections .

Using 95 fuel I get between 42-44 indicated MPG. Mine's a 12 plate with 15k miles, so it sounds like yours is low. On the other hand to achieve that I have to touch very lightly on the accelerator and sometimes tip the gear from 5th to 6th when cruising at 30 or just over .

Could it be worth using a fuel additive in an effort to cleanse your fuel system ?

Baz192,

Please do not put any cleaner in the fuel system.

It is low mileage, but still might need the Spark Plugs changed.

The coils and the injectors should be fine.

(in 2010 there were faulty ones on cars.)

But it does not get plugged in and any ECU upgrade done until the 20,000 mile/2 year service.

It might have had an Inspection Service at 2 years but not had a ECU upgrade done,

it might need one.

First thing to do is check the Air Filter, to see if clean.

If you want, check the spark plugs condition, 

then run it on 99 ron fuel.

george

Mine has only just ticked over to 4200 tonight (after 10 months) and for example tonight i did a 18 mile journey. With quite a few short blasts i easily got 46mpg and on a 110 mile round trip last week got 52.3 overall! Really couldn't be happier with the car in general.

• Like 1

I used to measure 'brim to brim' and it was always at least high thirties - then thought to myself 'what does it matter?' and haven't bothered since.

I didn't even know about 'trip 1' and 'trip 2'!

• Like 1