caravan towing with the skoda yeti

ken6

I would like to know any information about towing a sterling eccles sapphire with a weight of 1475kg with the skoda yeti, and whether it i capable of towing this weight safely with enough power? The skoda yeti im looking for is a 2.0 TDI CR 170ps 4X4 DSG DPF.

Edited by ken6

Welcome,

I'm not the man to help but it will depend on which Yeti you have in mind-"comfortably" implies what? You will hear from others with useful experience but you will need to look at the pokier diesel models if you don't want to be a rolling road block!

I think the FL gives a 170 DSG option.-No reason for paranoia Oldfred-the OP has posted a straight question and responded politely to the first reply.

Ken6 offnote and Zorro were the same troll and just posted to wind people up-the latter alias was only rumbled as a previous banned poster a couple of days ago.

• Like 1

I was not aware you could get a 170bhp diesel yeti with dsg, I think they only do a 140bhp. You can get a manual though.

Just like so many topics in the Yeti forum, posts under 'Towing with DSG' thread strayed into 'Towing without DSG'.  Iain's #4, for example, would be immediately relevant to the OP's question. :happy:

I currently tow a 2012 1400KG  Sterling with my 2012 170 manual Yeti.  We have covered a good few thousand miles in that time without any problems.

Really stable (though 'van has ATC), power in hand and around 30mpg towing.  Down side is noseweight limit of 80Kg which could be higher.

However we have ordered a new 2014 Swift Challenger 570 SE which tips the scales at 1485Kg. I felt this was pushing things weightwise for the Yeti so have ordered a 177 manual Tiguan, which is a fair bit heavier and boasts a 100Kg noseweight limit.

Would have loved another Yeti but our new 'van points us elsewhere sadly.

Here is our current outfit stopped in North Aberdeenshire in 30 degree heat in July.

Fraserburgh-July13001.jpg

Ken6, I towed an Abbey with our Yeti, it weighed 1475 and I have to say it towed really well, through Wales on A and B roads, also on the Motorway, I found if you set the cruise control at about 62 mph on the speedo the revs were perfect for keeping the turbo lit, a pleasure to sit on the motorway.

The weight of the Yeti you are thinking of is about 1550kg. Skoda suggest the maximum tow is 2000kg. However the law says you cannot tow a caravan with MTPLM greater than the kerbweight of the car. The above weights suggest a towing ratio of 95% so you should just about be okay.

The weight of the Yeti you are thinking of is about 1550kg. Skoda suggest the maximum tow is 2000kg. However the law says you cannot tow a caravan with MTPLM greater than the kerbweight of the car. The above weights suggest a towing ratio of 95% so you should just about be okay.

That depends on when you took your driving test, so not totally correct!!

• Like 1

That depends on when you took your driving test, so not totally correct!!

Explained here

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/driving-licence-rules-and-what-you-can-tow

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/car-trailer-practical-test

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-weights-explained

Ands it gov.uk site so it MUST be right.......

Edited by Billcbf1000

we took our Motorhome & iFor trailer abroad this summer, followed by dad, his '13 plate L&K 170 manual Yeti & his Coachman Amara. 

He had no issue, and significantly more power that us (we are 2.3 130bhp Ducato - but nearing 12 meters long & 5 tonnes with the trailer, motorbike etc) but stability during the windy(er) travelling days was a slight issue. Wind when passing trucks wasn't pleasant, and did begin to frighten him at times. Towing speeds were between 50 and 60mph. 

So yes, it's a good tow car, but not as stable as a larger wheels-based vehicle. 

That being said, around 1600 miles towing and 400 solo lead to a average fuel consumption of 31. 

Al. 

Towed my 560 Hobby (extra wide) with both the 140 & 170 manual 4x4 Yeti.

No problems except when getting off a flooded field (Kelmarsh 2012 Festival of History), when we were towed out.

Stuck at 60 mph and I got 30 mpg.

we took our Motorhome & iFor trailer abroad this summer, followed by dad, his '13 plate L&K 170 manual Yeti & his Coachman Amara. 

He had no issue, and significantly more power that us (we are 2.3 130bhp Ducato - but nearing 12 meters long & 5 tonnes with the trailer, motorbike etc) but stability during the windy(er) travelling days was a slight issue. Wind when passing trucks wasn't pleasant, and did begin to frighten him at times. Towing speeds were between 50 and 60mph. 

So yes, it's a good tow car, but not as stable as a larger wheels-based vehicle. 

That being said, around 1600 miles towing and 400 solo lead to a average fuel consumption of 31. 

Al. 

Really surprised by this ... I have been out in strong winds and covered many thousands of miles and had no stability issues whatsoever.  

I had heard that over a certain weight a tacho should be fitted as in effect you are driving a large goods vehicle.

From your comment Graham, what I heard might be incorrect.   :wonder:

Really surprised by this ... I have been out in strong winds and covered many thousands of miles and had no stability issues whatsoever.  

I was too - he passed us when we lost speed on big hill - passed the truck in front of us too, we were down to 50ish, and he would still have been at 60ish - and there was a definite wiggle / swing from the back of the 'van. - (2013 Amara - 2013 Yeti L&K with a Witter Detachable bar - Bar's been checked and all is secure) 

ukcruiser, at 5 tons gross weight do run a tachograph ??

Na, private vehicle, no tacho needed - Tacho needed for Goods and People carrying vehicles / hire & reward; just a B+E Licence needed for me! 

Al. 

I was too - he passed us when we lost speed on big hill - passed the truck in front of us too, we were down to 50ish, and he would still have been at 60ish - and there was a definite wiggle / swing from the back of the 'van. - (2013 Amara - 2013 Yeti L&K with a Witter Detachable bar - Bar's been checked and all is secure) 

Witter detachable here too ... no issues.

Which Amara is it? The bigger ones would be on the heavy side for the Yeti.