Stop Start issue?

Hi guys,

A couple of times over the past week I've pulled up at some lights only for my Stop/Start not to work.

When I've checked the Status the system has claimed it is disabled as my engine isn't turned on???

I've heard it doesn't work during a DPF recharge but has anyone else experienced this status?

Andy

I've had that as well Andy and it does seem to be connected to the DPF regeneration.

I thought it was a fault at first, but I've now come around to the idea that it's normal behaviour.

Rob

DPF regen

you normally get a clue of a idle speed of about 1100rpm, strange rubbery smell, radiator fan on full pelt

lots of things disable stop start

heater set on screen for demist, dpf regen (as rpm must be < 1000), external temp to high, battery temp or charge out of range to name a few, if you have a look in the manual there is a section in there that gives requirements for stopping and starting

Most of the start/stop systems will not work if:

- The motor temperature is below 90 degree (or other normal running temperature)

- The out door temperature is below 5 or above 30 degrees

- The Aircon is using to much current

- The aircon blower is on 3 or higher

- The seatbelt on the driverside is not buckled

- Driver's door is open

- The bonnet is open

- The battery is low on charge

- Car hasn't been above ~10mph on the last motion

- You've just been driving in reverse

- Indoor temperature is far lower what you've set it to be 

- Heating of the rear/front windscreen is on

- System is disabled by the on/off button (with the wierd A+arrow around it symbol)

Most of the start/stop systems will not work if:

- The motor temperature is below 90 degree (or other normal running temperature)

- The out door temperature is below 5 or above 30 degrees

- The Aircon is using to much current

- The aircon blower is on 3 or higher

- The seatbelt on the driverside is not buckled

- Driver's door is open

- The bonnet is open

- The battery is low on charge

- Car hasn't been above ~10mph on the last motion

- You've just been driving in reverse

- Indoor temperature is far lower what you've set it to be 

- Heating of the rear/front windscreen is on

- System is disabled by the on/off button (with the wierd A+arrow around it symbol)

The wheel is turned

You are on a hill and auto hold is engaged

Thanks guys, I'm aware of the reasons but the Stop Start system Status is reading that the engine is not on as the reason when it clearly is.

I'm experiencing this issue too on 1.6TDi DSG Elegance.

Agree with boff180 the car data display lists any reasons why start stop is not engaging and the only reason that shows is that "The engine is not running" which plainly it is!

I've tried the following with mixed success. If I'm at lights and firmly stationery I place the gearbox in "Park" and then back to drive. This sometimes clears it.

Again just depending on how static the traffic is I switch the car off and restart it. This sometimes clears it.

At times the issue just wont clear.

It seems an odd alert message - What sort of sensor would report that the engine isn't running! when it is.

Havent mentioned this to the dealer yet.

Mine is petrol so no DPF issue, however a couple of days ago I stopped & engine stopped, I then went into park & engine started again. When I moved back into drive engine stopped but when I released the foot brake engine didn't start up & I got message on maxidot "start engine manually". Maybe when the system gets too many actions in a short period it cannot cope so resets to normal start up mode.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the message you're seeing guys, I've had this today and got the message "engine must be running"..... Now thinking about it is it just trying to say stop-start is disabled because "the engine needs to be running" in poor English?

I've had exactly the same message, on a number of occasions.  Most bizarre, being told that the engine can't stop running because it isn't running, when it is!

I've had exactly the same message, on a number of occasions. Most bizarre, being told that the engine can't stop running because it isn't running, when it is!

What is the exact message you get?

Yesterday I was stopped and the engine stopped as it should. I then opened the door briefly so got the message to restart manually. However as I pressed the clutch just before turning the key back to the off position so I could restart at again it started up anyway. Strange.

Just what I thought, it's not say it's not running, it saying it won't stop because it needs to be running. Just some dodgy translation I guess.

Thanks for the explanation, I have not received my Octy yet but I would have found that message confusing

But it does not take much to confuse me! 

• 5 years later...

Yesterday and today my Auto start- stop didn't work, the info said that the engine must be running (while it obviously did...). Today the DPF warning light came on. Went out on motorway, drove for like 15 mins in sport setting on 3500 RPM, and the DPF warning disappeared, and my Auto start- stop works fine. Hope you will get away this easily as well... 

"Engine must be Running" means that the ECU requires that the engine is running.

Most of the stop start inhibitors have a specific message like "required by climate system" or "low battery".

"Engine must be running" is used in all the conditions that dont have a specific message which on a diesel seems to mostly correspond to "DPF Regeneration is in progress"

I've had this on my petrol VRS (so clearly not only DPF regen) . I usually get it when the engine has only been started for a few minutes, but I have also received specific reasons regarding cabin temperature etc under similar circumstances.  

I guess "engine must be running" can be interpreted as "engine currently needs to be running",  but must admit that never occurred to me previously. 

Yes, it not worded particularly clearly but essentially, the car requires the engine to continue to run for an undisclosed reason(s) & therefore doesnt allow the StopStart function to stop the engine.

I have a 1.4Tsi manual gearbox. I looked at the Stop/Start status in neutral after starting the engine.

"Engine must be running."

So same message for petrol as well as for a diesel.

After running for a few hundred yards that changed to Stop Start available.

So what is it trying to communicate to me? I'd guess that the battery needed to reach a certain charge level. When my SS was not functioning earlier this year, I had a constant message about High Power Consumption .

On 18/10/2019 at 15:18, gregoir said:

I have a 1.4Tsi manual gearbox. I looked at the Stop/Start status in neutral after starting the engine.

"Engine must be running."

So same message for petrol as well as for a diesel.

After running for a few hundred yards that changed to Stop Start available.

So what is it trying to communicate to me? I'd guess that the battery needed to reach a certain charge level. When my SS was not functioning earlier this year, I had a constant message about High Power Consumption .

Stop Start isn’t Just governed by the battery condition, lots of other factors around the vehicle affect it including things like steering input and heating system demands. Any of these require the engine to be running. 

Again, I reviewed the state of my Stop/Start before driving off.  Apart from the expected reasons, an additional message about the gradient being too steep surprised me. Yes , I was on a sloping car park