Police.......or not

RainbowFire

Well said, it might even save someones life.

.....not only that, it'll make a change from being ever-so-very bored at work at the moment. :)

Alternating whites often involve main beam left followed by main beam right on a repetitive cycle.

Its rare both left and right flash together at the same time (as per a manual flash of main beam).

Turning their alternating whites off inbetween each approach is not normal either. Generally at speeds in excess of 100mph they'll be turned on and left on. The exception to this is when they are trying to be covert.

Sounds to me like an impatient chancer trying to get somewhere fast.

I had an experience with one of these quite a few years ago trying to beat the traffic in an old BMW. The giveaway was the fact that he'd got a full beam out, so was only flashing one headlight.

I, incidently, was doing first aid work for a charity at the time, and was driving back from an event. I'd taken the magnetic signs off the car, but still had my lights in place. He decided he really didn't need to go faster than me when I turned the blue lights on my parcel shelf on for a second  :giggle:

• Like 2

I regularly see unmarked 56 plate cars round here . Similar story to Steve . Was doing some part time taxi driving many years ago and our Taxis ( white Cavaliers, and local police used white ones too) ) were marked up as an inverted police logo . We were doing rail relief work one Saturday and quickest way to New St was up M6. Coming back I caught upwith an XR2 /3 sort of race . I don'tknow what they thought I had on the roof ( standard white "TAXI" SIGN), but I suspect it was the livery as they decided to behave quickly .

I'm with the life's to short, I see things I could report everyday if I wanted to, don't really care if I see someone speeding on a motorway....

Am I going to benefit in someone els's misery anyway?

can't answer the second part of that, but you could benefit every other driver who pays out over the top for insurance because some numpty thinks it's OK to impersonate a copper, with 1/10th the training (if that) that a trained pursuit driver has and could possibly be a danger to everyone else out there.

• Like 1

I had someone do this on the M40 a couple of years ago in a silver Mercedes. I was in the 3rd lane and suddenly the Mercedes switched on the flashing headlights and blues. I said to swmbo at the time that i'm about to get pulled, she called me the c word and the Mercedes went past me and switched them off. Needless to say, i dumped her a few weeks later, as her over-reaction was just the tip of a melting iceberg!! The Mercedes driver looked like they had their Mom and Dad in the back but i was too p-ed off at my ex's comment to get any details to report it.

I said to swmbo at the time that i'm about to get pulled, she called me the c word

Maybe she just thought you were being presumptuous and she hadn't seen the Merc.... :giggle:

A 'Mom and Dad' in the back can be a member of the very extended Royal Family & hangers on,

or even the likes if a Senior Politician, maybe the Home Secretary & Husband.

Visiting Royals and Politicians even

More likely the Chief Constable and squeeze in a hurry.

This Force does not even know who are driving their cars at any time,

they may be police officers, but then again, who really knows with them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-117634/Force-fined-speeding-police-officer.html

'solicitor Michael Woodford ask for 28 days to pay the fine.'

http://news.stv.tv/tayside/241777-david-mullen-charged-over-theft-of-police-4x4-from-outside-headquarters

'the alleged security breach came just days after Police Scotland issued a warning about home and business security.to the public'

george

I moved over the other day for a brown vw caddy van that had blues flashing behind the front grill (no siren heard) that was forcing its way through traffic,i didnt get a luck at the driver but the van looked a right shed & was filthy (muck that had been on for ages) didnt get the reg as it was soon away through traffic,i did wonder if it was a fake,

I am aware (via auction site) that the police did use old vans as surveillance. I seem to recall a rather battered blue Renault Master which apparently had A1 condition mechanical bits.

• 2 weeks later...

Did get round to doing this.

Twice in fact.

Once at Medway, then again at Maidstone (just to see if Medway was a one-off)..............

Neither were interested.

Both suggested that the headlights could be faulty, even after a description of how the lights were operating.

Neither bothered actually taking any details down.

I asked if video footage would help.................no.

(not that I had any, just thought I'd ask)

So, following the advice of one of the officers on here about reporting a crime and something will be done, it seems that either:

1) the statement is incorrect

-or-

2) impersonating (and in due deference to the alternatives that have been given) a "person of particular importance", though with the "wig-wam" lights we'll usually assume to be the police, is not in fact a criminal offence after all. (Interesting avenue as I still have a box of "toys" under my desk)

-or-

3) The police are no longer interested in investigating crimes.

Shan't bother next time.

Did get round to doing this.

Twice in fact.

Once at Medway, then again at Maidstone (just to see if Medway was a one-off)..............

Neither were interested.

Both suggested that the headlights could be faulty, even after a description of how the lights were operating.

Neither bothered actually taking any details down.

Shan't bother next time.

Unfortunately you have probably suffered at the hands of the civilian phone operators that answer all of the calls that go through to the main call centres for the individual forces - they only have scant training with regards to any legislation and make some very bizarre decisions sometimes - usually to the detriment of the person making the call in the first place.

A much better and informative service would be provided if the call-takers were either police officers (too expensive) or had much better and in depth training into legislation (too expensive). 

Unfortunately you have probably suffered at the hands of the civilian phone operators that answer all of the calls that go through to the main call centres for the individual forces......

Walked in at both stations ;)

Probably quicker than being put on hold at a call centre. ;)

Probably the front counter clerk: Person standing behind the counter representing the law enforcement agency for the United Kingdom.

{But to be honest, if it was in Surrey I would have reported it straight to someone in authority (such are the advantages of connections)}

Anyway:

Should it make a difference?

Should I have to walk into a police station and demand to speak to someone in authority?

Should I be asking to see some credentials and qualification before making any form of statement?

Or should any statement made to the person standing behind the desk be taken with all seriousness?

It shouldn't make $hits worth of difference, but in the same way as when you try and make an appointment at a Doctors you deal with a medically untrained person who asks you about your medical complaint before making the appointment, it is something we have come to accept, and shouldn't. Money as always is at the root of the problem, that and all the spurious crap that people report, like broken microwaves and neighbours who get undressed with the curtains open and if they stand on their bedside table they can see them etc.

• Like 1