MPG over a year

oriki

I have an app called roadtrip on my cellular.It calculates fuel consumption.

I have recorded each and every visit to the pump and not missed one.

Over the course of almost exactly a year (started recording oct 5th 2012) the figures are:

Driven 10525 miles

Fuel amount 1241 liters 

The most important figure to me is 39.54 MPG average annual consumption ( aircon unit working 9 months out of 12 on each and every every drive )

I have a 2.0 liter TDI 140 HP DSG Yeti.

Am I to be pleased with the fuel consumption?

Thanks a lot

Edited by oriki

Yeti S 2.0 TDI CR 110 2WD, 2010 build.

9690 miles since getting this car in May. 46.1mpg / 10.4 mpl over 50/50 mixed commuting and longer trips. Only has the 5-speed manual box. Might benefit from 6th on the longer runs as motorway speeds do seem to hit the consumption a bit.  Still quite happy with that, at 4mpg better than the 6-sp 1.9 dCi Grand Scenic it replaced for exactly the same drivers and trip pattern.

MPG very dependent upon how you drive, climate, nature of the journeys that you make. My manual 140 4x4 has averaged about 43.2 in its first year.

Not sure about the accuracy of your figure of 39.5.

Based on the figures that you quote 1241 litres equates 272.98 uk gallons.

10525 miles divided by 272.98 give an mpg of 38.55

Sounds good.  Just click on the consumption in my signature.  On that website you can also search for your specific vehicle and see what other people over the world get.  Mine is one of the very worst 140 DSG Yetis on the planet.  Great.  Even had it checked at the last service and it was all ok. So maybe I just have the world's most leaden right foot.

• Like 1

I've kept a log and a spreadsheet over the whole period of owning Dewi, and for the 68k miles I've owned him he shows a figure of 46.16 mpg.

If I take out the caravan miles it improves by another 1.5 mpg.

I will admit I do not drive "on the limit" but do "make progress!"

As others have said, there are so many factors involved that comparisons can only be approximate.  If you're in the mid- to upper 30's, I reckon you're doing OK.  My current o/a average (35-point-something-irrelevant) is largely the result of a very high proportion of slow and hilly rural mileage; given an infrequent tankful over some motorway journeys, though, and it jumps to the low 40's.  Overall, I'm quite content. 

I too keep a spreadsheet and always brim the tank.  Consumption in 11 months from new (8,600 miles) is 36.6 mpg average although a shade better in recent months as it loosens up.  My wife does half the driving, mainly in town, and I do the open road stuff, usually on cruise at around 85.  I'm happy with the consumption, given the Yeti's AWD and poor aerodynamics.

Mind you, my 300bhp Jag XF which is much heavier and driven harder and faster has averaged over 33 mpg across 22,000 miles, so maybe the Yeti isn't particularly good.

I do the open road stuff, usually on cruise at around 85. 

Have they sacked all the traffic cops round your way and removed all the speed cameras? I put mine on cruise control at 78 on the basis that the speedo is slightly slow and a couple of mph above 70 can be got away with.

A PS to mine above.  Just had to do a 'local' run, about a dozen miles of lanes and hills (inc up Kop Hill, for those who know it).  Multi thing shows 37 point something for the run, with oil temp at 91.  Improved a bit over the summer, I think. 

I've kept a log and a spreadsheet over the whole period of owning Dewi, and for the 68k miles I've owned him he shows a figure of 46.16 mpg.

If I take out the caravan miles it improves by another 1.5 mpg.

I will admit I do not drive "on the limit" but do "make progress!"

With that level of accuracy Graham, you should park the radio and take up co-driving! :rofl:

I don't have reliable figures yet as I've only had Flo (140 4x4 TDI) for 2 weeks, but I do think she's a party girl with a bit of a drink problem. I suspect I'm getting mid '30s in terms of MPG at best. In town that drops into the '20s. Her predecessor (110 2wd TDI) was much more frugal. Initially I wondered whether there was a problem but I suspect it's something I'm just going to have to get used to. Am going to track it on Fuelly and see what I'm really getting.

Sounds good.  Just click on the consumption in my signature.  On that website you can also search for your specific vehicle and see what other people over the world get.  Mine is one of the very worst 140 DSG Yetis on the planet.  Great.  Even had it checked at the last service and it was all ok. So maybe I just have the world's most leaden right foot.

must be your leaden right foot ;)

Been working things out manually and averaged just over 34mpg over the past year in a 1.2 petrol driving mainly around Town. This goes up to around 40 on longer journeys over A roads.

Think the question has to be are you (as the OP) happy with your consumption. 40mpg from a 4x4 thats quite tall so is not very aerodynamic sounds reasonable to me without knowing the circumstances the others have already highlighted as making a difference. If you compare that with the 1.2 2WD results above from fox it puts it into perspective. Thats not being critical of the 1.2 as its a good little engine.

Think the question has to be are you (as the OP) happy with your consumption. 40mpg from a 4x4 thats quite tall so is not very aerodynamic sounds reasonable to me without knowing the circumstances the others have already highlighted as making a difference. If you compare that with the 1.2 2WD results above from fox it puts it into perspective. Thats not being critical of the 1.2 as its a good little engine.

I have kept a fill-to-fill check on my 1.2 Tsi DSG since new and the average after 19 months is 40.9 MPG. Driving is a mix of urban, A roads, motorway and occasional long distance motorway blasts. Worst was 32+ MPG on a trip to Cornwall against high head winds in rain and appalling weather at 70 MPH+, best is 52 MPG on a local drive on A roads with a 50 MPH speed limit. Great little engine, quiet refined and with plenty of power with 2 up plus luggage.

I have kept a fill-to-fill check on my 1.2 Tsi DSG since new and the average after 19 months is 40.9 MPG. Driving is a mix of urban, A roads, motorway and occasional long distance motorway blasts. Worst was 32+ MPG on a trip to Cornwall against high head winds in rain and appalling weather at 70 MPH+, best is 52 MPG on a local drive on A roads with a 50 MPH speed limit. Great little engine, quiet refined and with plenty of power with 2 up plus luggage.

Same here - 1.2 Tsi with DSG and just about the same average MPG over 37 months. Most journeys are around 11 / 12 miles or under, with a similar mix of roads and lots of hills. 

I wonder if there is a difference in vehicles or, is it just down to driving style? At 34 MPG I would be most unhappy!......................T

11514 miles - 39 fillings (full to full) from new:

Worst; 37.947 MPG

Best; 46.757 MPG

Average; 40.549

Same here - 1.2 Tsi with DSG and just about the same average MPG over 37 months. Most journeys are around 11 / 12 miles or under, with a similar mix of roads and lots of hills. 

I wonder if there is a difference in vehicles or, is it just down to driving style? At 34 MPG I would be most unhappy!......................T

11514 miles - 39 fillings (full to full) from new:

Worst; 37.947 MPG

Best; 46.757 MPG

Average; 40.549

I am sure driving style has a lot to do with it but the high frontal area certainly affects consumption against high head winds. I am not a slow driver but do drive sensibly - avoid boy racer getaways etc. - which I think helps. 

We use fuelly too and since new, our 110 2WD SE+ has averaged 47.3mpg although we did drop to about 44mpg on a rather spirited late night run from Dumfries to Edinburgh in June!

• 5 weeks later...

Motorways seem to deliver the worst MPG for me - around 36 mpg average.  The brick like shape means that after about 60 mpg consumption increases considerably for every additional 5mph and driving at 60 mph on the average UK motorway is a heck of a lot more stressful and dangerous than an indicated 75 to 85  mph

Edited by JohnD52
  • Like 1

Over the first 4,000 miles (since the beginning of May) my 1.2TSI Elegance with manual gearbox has returned an average of 38.6mpg, which I don't think is at all bad as it is a mixture of short journeys (5 miles each way) and longer runs on motorway and good A roads, so probably the two types of driving least suited to getting a good mpg from this shape of car.I haven't used the air-con a lot but this is probably offset by usually having the windows down a few inches (because I've usually got the dogs with me). Because of my limited annual mileage and the high proportion of short trips I anticipated all the advice including on this forum was to go for petrol rather than diesel (curse those pesky DPF filters!) so although the mpg isn't as good as the diesel in my last car I'm happy enough. (The other thing is I've not seen the inside of a Skoda workshop since I bought the Yeti - I was on first name terms with the mechanics at the dealership who looked after the last car, so quite a saving there).