Warning on Spark Plugs 1.4 TSI CAVE VRS, (& CTHE)'check the spark plugs!'

• 3 weeks later...
On Monday, October 14, 2013 at 12:36, Awayoffski said:

I have see now a good few standard Twinchargers with Plugs burning out.

(& seen a good few tuned 1.4TSI/TFSI that had plugs going, that can be expected).

But today on a standard car with under 25,000 miles done and 3 Skoda Services i have seen the worst.

It is a non oil burner, and run on 99 ron fuel only.

Nothing showing on the diagnostic & no 'Engine Warning light' or EPC light,

But i felt a misfire and it was just a bit down on power.

So i took the plugs out, 1st, 2nd and 3rd plug removed and i thought these are perfectly fine.

Thankfully i removed the 4th, 

or that engine could have been toast.

Do not trust to the Skoda Service schedule and 40,000 miles before changing the plugs on the TSI CAVE.

I would say have them changed at the 2 year/20,000 mile service.

Do not even wait till the 3 year/30,000 mile service.

You or the Technician might feel nothing and no Error Codes of feeling of misfire, but you could be one hard acceleration from ruining your engine.

Plugs i fitted are 'Denso Iridium' @ about £16 each including VAT, 'SKJ20CR-A8#4' (3371#4)

But check yourself what is required, do not believe me.

This is on a CAVE 2010-2012, not a CTHE.

worth it to use the Denso plugs i believe on a standard engine compared to the ones VW use at around £12. 

george

Hey buddy ive bought these denso iridium plugs . Are they any good according to u?

Screenshot_20170427-225512.png

Sorry but never used the VK20 but others here have and never said they had any problem.

those were what Euro Car parts supplied.

I just stick with what i was first advised to get and never had or heard of an issue until by a member here recently.

• Like 1

I have a similar problem to what has been mentioned throughout this thread.  I have bought reader (below) to find out the fault error code and reading through the pages have came to the conclusion that it's probably spark plug/coil pack related.  However if more knowledge owners with expereince of the issue below could give me some direct advice it would be much appreciated.

Note* I just had the car serviced 1000 miles ago and paid for spark plug change.

First time I had been driving about 10 miles when the I felt a loss of power and the EML light flashed for around 10 seconds,.  I slowed down to 50 MPH.  After a couple of minutes I went back to 70 MPH and same thing happened again.  I slowed again, until the light went off, then drove about 70 for 130 miles, without any issues.

Second time, I had drove about 65 miles, accelerating quickly numerous times to over take on the back roads, I got on the motor way, going about 75 mph and the EML light flashed for 10 seconds twice and then the EPC light came on.  At the nearest slip road I came off and stopped for 1 minute, started the car, and drove 100 miles at 70 MPH. without any problems.  Since I have drove about 200 miles without any lights, but just ordered a Torque Pro Elm 327 [ Android ONLY ] [ V1.5 ] OBDII OBD 2 , to see if i can read the fault.

I have saw a few posts on the forum but never seen a conclusion.

Car is a Skoda MKII 63 plate, with 40k miles. 

Cheers.

Hello, Thank you.

audi technik centre in bishopbriggs fitted the plugs and done the full service.  They have a decent reputation and the last service I went to Henry's Skoda, they said my brake pads required changed, the brake disc needed changed and i needed 2 tyres, only thing the were right about was one of the tyres.

I have no idea what they fit, the gap etc. I could phone and ask no bother.

If you had a Service & Spark Plug change i would ask them to put it on the diagnostics for 'free' they guarantee their work, the spark plugs have a guarantee,

so they should check their work.

If there are misfires logged or any other fault codes.

(Just nosy, how much did they charge and is there an invoice with the parts including Spark Plug parts number?)

Has your car ever had a Software Update because they could do one if they never did?

Have you had the car long, and is it a Scottish Registered one?

Any Warranty history on it that you know of?

Has the DSG had the Service Campaign done?  Sticker in the spare tyre well if done with '34F7' 

Edited by Awayoffski

I have called the garage, they are going to put it through for free, there is no note of the spark plugs used.

I'll find out later today about the fault codes...

It was £150 for the service, which was the service plus

I had it through its warranty but decided not to renew it after the 3 years, may not be a good idea now..

It has the 34F7 sticker in the spare tyre well.

• Like 1

Got the car back from the garage, done the 40k DSG oil change and they read the fault code history, which shows intermittent misfire in cylinder 4, that requires further diagnostics. In other words, they want paid for any more investigations, even though it could be spark plug related which was replaced on the 20th of Feb service.

Was told they would definitely be able to pinpoint the cause of the misfire, felt like asking (but never), why they didn't already and i'd have paid to get it fixed if it was some non service related problem....

Any suggestions? mechanic said it could be up to about 6 things, probably most of which were mentioned on this thread already.

I'm swaying towards putting next week for them to get to the bottom of it, is that the best play here?

PS

How could they do a 40,000 mile oil change on a DSG that does not get a Oil Change? 

What did that cost?

There is a VW Group Service Campaign, if the Synthetic Oil gets changed for Mineral and a software update that is Free.

the VW Group pays, you get it done at a SKODA, VW, AUDI or SEAT Dealership.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions 

Just had the plugs changed as part of a major service at Skoda dealer.

First change ... 28,000 miles on original plugs is not bad going. 

I've got the originals here as well and numbered. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/05/2017 at 20:37, Mr OCD said:

Just had the plugs changed as part of a major service at Skoda dealer.

First change ... 28,000 miles on original plugs is not bad going. 

I've got the originals here as well and numbered. 

How much did the dealer charge you? As mine will need doing next year along with a major service

• 2 months later...

Bosch plugs worked a treat after problems with Denso's IR's so on a mapped car for me the Bosch i would highly rate.. condition of all 4 below approx 6 months.

NGK IR and Denso IR have both had problems (see 2nd pic)

I am now testing Laser Platinums NGK but has Offski has kindly noted that they are the same part no. as the ones that failed 2009-13.

Maybe its the Iridium coating that is problem for me or bad luck on plugs....

Will report back if any issues with the Platinum NGK's,

Least i know the Bosch are good, only took them out cos was service and already ordered the new ones, any probs and the Bosch are going back in!

Bosch.jpg

Denso VS NKG IR.jpg

NGK LaserPlatinum.jpg

He did not have the DENSO tough which are the VK20 that Euro Car Parts and others have, it was the SKJ's which are usually good in a Twincharger but he had one go the same as the Standard NGK or the later from 2012 on NGK go on one cylinder.

The Bosch condition does look good in the pic after 6 months and a Remap, 

i am interested in how many miles they did in the 6 months though.

A Remap to stage 1 when it is a good remap as it seems that Kobayashi has had done does do wonders for a CAVE engine and its not always about more power but helping the fueling to all 4 cylinders & an engines longevity.

Edited by Awayoffski

53 minutes ago, Nandovee said:

What Bosch plugs you use? How much? I'm about to buy some new plugs and I was considering the iridium tough densos. What problems did you have with them

Bosch code = FR6HI332, tuning shop put them in after the Denso tip broke off after car was mapped, not sure how much they cost.

A note on the random denso failure they were supposed to go in after the oil fixes at skoda but SKODA forgot to do it, they couldnt even find them when i went to collect, as i asked for the old plugs, Anyway i think they got handling damage as they eventually located them in a cupboard they had been out of the boxes.

So i took Denso to tuning shop a month later, they looked ok, but who knows someone at skoda could have dropped them or something?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

The Bosch condition does look good in the pic after 6 months and a Remap, 

i am interested in how many miles they did in the 6 months though.

A Remap to stage 1 when it is a good remap as it seems that Kobayashi has had done does do wonders for a CAVE engine and its not always about more power but helping the fueling to all 4 cylinders & an engines longevity.

Approx 4500 miles on the Bosch which i know isnt a lot, all short journeys, oil not warm (most of the time) and some very fast boosting at times. :tongueout:

Car has had a hard life but still on original engine with good compression,  and as mentioned on my project page could not have got this far without this forum and studying all the posts / topics. (george you know my car well now...)

I think the Denso failure will go down as a mystery. The tuning shop i use doesnt like Iridium plugs by anyone. The bosch used is a Double Platinum, so maybe Double Platinums are best for me too.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

So the sons just returned from Shark Performance, they have confirmed that he has a misfire or cylinder 2. Going to order some denso plugs and get them in.