Warning on Spark Plugs 1.4 TSI CAVE VRS, (& CTHE)'check the spark plugs!'

MilgeS.,

Just thinking.

Your car is under the Original Warranty Still, then the New Engine is Still under it, then the OIl Spray Jet Replacement.

Do not pay for Spark Plugs untill Under Warranty the Dealership Diagnosis the Mis-fire, and the car not running right.

They can remove and inspect the plugs and see if at 31,000 miles and 3 years, or 25,000 miles since the Engine Replacement 

the Plugs have expired prematurely, or if 1 spark plug has, maybe causing an Ignition Coil to Expire Prematurely.

Skoda UK now replying out if Sheffield seem big on 3 Year / 60,000 mile Warranties, so hold them to that.

They have a product they sold with Fundamental Design, Manufacturing and Component Choice & Quality Control issues, 

so they can pay for Diagnosis and repair surely.

• Like 2

MilgeS.,

Just thinking.

Your car is under the Original Warranty Still, then the New Engine is Still under it, then the OIl Spray Jet Replacement.

Do not pay for Spark Plugs untill Under Warranty the Dealership Diagnosis the Mis-fire, and the car not running right.

They can remove and inspect the plugs and see if at 31,000 miles and 3 years, or 25,000 miles since the Engine Replacement 

the Plugs have expired prematurely, or if 1 spark plug has, maybe causing an Ignition Coil to Expire Prematurely.

Mine is 4 years old in September, but I have the extended warranty. My concern is my history with the dealer, we don't get on, so I am not going to get a straight answer out of them, I expect out of spite they might say the plugs didn't need replacing.....I thought that as it was a "major" service that this would be included anyway, how much extra is it going to cost me to buy and pay for plugs to be changed? That's a pretty big "get out" from Skoda if they are letting dealers make a judgement isn't it?

I look like I'll be paying £269 for an oil and filter change if they don't do the plugs!! Then £52 for brake fluid on top. I could probably get a well trusted independent to do that for the same or even less?

Re software updates, are the software versions available for all to see or do I again just trust they check and actually check for the correct software for the work that has been carried out on my car over the 4 years? 

• Like 1

I'm a bit like you though as our car has 51k on the odometer and therefore 51k on bodywork, paint etc but only 25k on the new engine. I'm not prepared to risk the dealer deciding they (spark plugs) don't need changed given the nonsensical answers I've received in the past to questions they really ought to have been able to answer correctly and without hesitation. 

I'm going to check my info that I got after engine change and oil jet work, don't think I had much info after engine change to be honest but I do have everything from oil jets.

Have you had a price for a set of plugs and fitting, do you mind letting me know how much I would be looking at please? No worries if you want to keep to yourself :-)

Lots of Skoda Dealers quote an extra £100 or so to supply & change spark plugs even while a customer is already paying £259 or so for a Major Service,

yet some VW Dealerships do a Major Service with Spark Plugs in a 1.4 TSI Twincharger for £299.

Lots of Skoda Dealers quote an extra £100 or so to supply & change spark plugs even while a customer is already paying £259 or so for a Major Service,

yet some VW Dealerships do a Major Service with Spark Plugs in a 1.4 TSI Twincharger for £299.

Ok that's handy to know, so even though I am paying £269 for the major service, spark plugs would be extra charged on top of £269 if they were changed?

I'm going to check my info that I got after engine change and oil jet work, don't think I had much info after engine change to be honest but I do have everything from oil jets.

Have you had a price for a set of plugs and fitting, do you mind letting me know how much I would be looking at please? No worries if you want to keep to yourself :-)

Sorry I've not been online for a few days so didn't realise you had asked question.

I've never been quoted a price for fitting the plugs as part of the service, and I've managed to use Parks own booking system to circumvent the regular £259 and £149 service price plans, getting the services for £157 and £77 respectfully much to the annoyance of the service manager, who didn't understand his own group company website allowed me and others to do this.

I can say however that when I looked at getting Richard's Bocanegra (also 2011 CAVE) a set of plugs fitted in that garage i was quoted £52 plus vat for the plugs alone plus labour, so in all likelihood over £100 all in. They didn't get to change the plugs. I bought them directly from Sparkplugs.co.uk (denso on recommendation from goneoffski) for £41 delivered and then got friendly mechanic to fit them.

• Like 1

mine was fine at 60k then had it tuned by revo and put recommended plugs in and this is it after 1300 miles misfiring on cylinder 4 i have changed them again and swapped coils i think my engine is toast :( post-138124-0-11062800-1468025163_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hopefully your engine is fine as you caught that plug, or have you issues?

Are you getting that REVO Map off and an APR on or a Skoda Update.?

(There is a bargain Tuning box for sale in the For Sales that you could fit rather than the REVO Stage 1.)

Those Plugs as REVO Recommended were cr4p as is the REVO Map for a twincharger. JIMO.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

• Like 1

mine was fine at 60k then had it tuned by revo and put recommended plugs in and this is it after 1300 miles misfiring on cylinder 4 i have changed them again and swapped coils i think my engine is toast :( attachicon.gifIMG_1898.jpg

Sorry to hear this buddy, hopefully you've caught the issue in time to prevent the worst case scenario from happening. I've not been a member all that long on here compared to others but have been aware of the potential for problems with spark plugs even without a remap being done. Unfortunately it seems Revo in particular has had remapping problems with the 1.4tsi twincharger with many members on here reporting major problems after having their car done. No consolation to you at this time I'm afraid. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

can a mod pin this? probably the most useful topic for any VRS owner as it seems to be a lot more common than the oil burning

Sorry my usual bad photography.

These are DENSO SKJ plugs as removed after having done 35,000 miles in a Twincharger.

CAVE running APR stage 1 & using Tesco Momentum.  

They are now starting to show wear and the gap is bigger than the 0.8mm they were put in at, but nothing drastic. 

Worth every penny for the peace of mind rather than using NGK that VW / Skoda recommend.

post-86161-0-19311600-1469182076_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-27197000-1469182129_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-71673400-1469182168_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-33379800-1469182219_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-59858900-1469182257_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Now my vRS has gone, I have for disposal (free of charge) EXCEPT for postage. I Draper coil lifter tool, 1 Spark Plug slimline box spanner. Both in perfect condition.

I would guess that a fiver would cover postal charges. Anybody interested PM me.

GONE

Edited by vRSgone
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys !

I too have had my sparkplugs changed (40 000 km), I put Denso SKJ in, the car feels much better ! Mainly pulling harder at part throttle.

I never had any missfire issue.

Here are the old plugs ... (the mechanic did not note the plugs order, but I can guess by their looks ...)

post-126448-0-44052400-1470296817_thumb.jpg

post-126448-0-29583600-1470296825_thumb.jpg

post-126448-0-93853600-1470296840_thumb.jpg

post-126448-0-89517300-1470296844_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for replacement spark plugs. I've just checked the Denso website and it gives the following information:

132. CAVE; CTHE 05/10-02/11 PKJ20CR8[/url] 4

132 CAVE; CTHE 02/11-12/14 SKJ20CR-A8[/url] 4

Will the plugs for the later models be ok in the earlier models? Only difference between the two is platinum and iridium apparently. Just wanted to double check before ordering the 'wrong' part. Wanted the SKJ20CR as that's what everyone on here recommends but no-one will sell them me as they cannot confirm they are the right part for my car!

No symptoms in the car apart from very poor mpg. Averaging about 30mpg with normal everyday driving. I drove a 300 mile round trip mainly on motorways at 60mph and only achieved early 40's mpg (calculated - not from computer).

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Bezzy

Thank you for the prompt reply. Been to euro car parts and was supplied with some vk ones. They're iridium and have a small gap so I'll go with those for now. Weren't cheap at £50 for 4 though!

Others have used the VK20 and i have not heard of any issues with them.  

I think one of the members in Australia used them when he had stage 1, not sure if he still does at stage 2.

I pay £62 trade for the SK's but then i know they are the real thing.

They are available cheaper elsewhere.

Thanks. Any guides or advice on making the tool to remove coils? I don't have time to order one online before Friday /Saturday when I wanted to change them and can't find any shop that stocks them...