On benefits, and proud,,,,,

@Lee

The voucher scheme has been tried, and didn't work, firstly because none of the major retailers/supermarket chains wanted anything to do with it due to slow repayments and the potential for arguements at checkouts, and secondly because in many rural areas there weren't outlets suitable.

I commented about the " Bedroom Tax " in an earlier thread

Woman complaining she would loose X number of pounds because of this

In the corner of the room 50" plasma TV fastened to a Virgin Box, ashtray full of tab ends and looking out of the window a newish car parked on the drive

Loose the TV, sell the car and stop smoking, she'll be better off than me

• Like 2

That BITCH with 11 kids does have every right to have as many kids as she wants, what I object to is parasites like that expect US to food the bill because she's too stupid to keep her legs together  :wall:

• Like 1

I agree that JSA could be paid a small amount of cash but the majority in vouchers that could only be spent on utilities, food, clothing etc non luxuries. Certainly not stuff like games consoles, alcohol, fags, designer clothing, tv subscriptions etc. If they want that stuff they have to save the small cash amount lol. And my small I mean like £5 a week max!

JSA is a small amount of money.

Most welfare goes on pensions, housing benefit (welfare for landlords), tax credits (welfare for companies so they don't need to pay a decent wage), disability/sickness and child benefit.

'JSA'

is already paid in a small amount of cash £10.24 a day max, for a single person paid in arrears 2 weekly into a bank.

(just shortly that will become 4 weekly and the person receiving will just need to suck it up and go that 2 extra weeks without any help. No vouchers or the likes are given over and above £10.24 a day which anyone can expect to pay £2 a day from for energy as a minimum.)

That £10.24 a day is not where people are spending a fortune on Luxuries from if that is the only money they receive.

https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/what-youll-get

So it is 'Employment Support Allowance' Groups that they get placed in, and then being allowed to stay in.

DLA Components, Care or Mobility,  Income Support, Child Benefit etc received are the Benefits and allowances being abused.

Which may not be any less abused when 'Universal Credit' replaces them.

george

• Like 1

Its not politically correct to say send the foreign unemployed and criminals home or make the career unemployed work as a sort of national service anymore... but thats only because the foreigners and unemployed outnumber us hardworking british and the next government want the majority vote! (not that many of us british are actually britons you have to go to Cornwall to find them)

And wales !

What the government need to do is instead of throwing money at people, give the vouchers and the vouchers will be colour coded or something...

Yellow vouchers for food (does NOT include alcohol or tobacco products)

Blue vouchers for utilities (gas, elec & water)

Green vouchers for clothes (these will not be redeemable at high end fashion shops)

These vouchers would have their name and possible a passport sized photo on the reverse along with an NI number and cannot be exchanged for cash.

That way benefits claimants will not be able to purchase LED widescreen TVs' laptops VIP Virgin Media packages in every room. :D

Assessments will take place every month to see of they are building up a surplus of vouchers, and future vouchers can be reduced to prevent this from happening.

Benefits are a safety net to help keep you going while your ACTIVLY seeking employment and are NOT a lifestyle for the bone idle, work-shy, laze individuals that we see in the media.

If they find it degrading, then the simple answer is GET A JOB AND STOP LEECHING OFF SOCIETY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the government need to do is instead of throwing money at people, give the vouchers and the vouchers will be colour coded or something...

Yellow vouchers for food (does NOT include alcohol or tobacco products)

Blue vouchers for utilities (gas, elec & water)

Green vouchers for clothes (these will not be redeemable at high end fashion shops)

These vouchers would have their name and possible a passport sized photo on the reverse along with an NI number and cannot be exchanged for cash.

That way benefits claimants will not be able to purchase LED widescreen TVs' laptops VIP Virgin Media packages in every room. :D

Assessments will take place every month to see of they are building up a surplus of vouchers, and future vouchers can be reduced to prevent this from happening.

Benefits are a safety net to help keep you going while your ACTIVLY seeking employment and are NOT a lifestyle for the bone idle, work-shy, laze individuals that we see in the media.

If they find it degrading, then the simple answer is GET A JOB AND STOP LEECHING OFF SOCIETY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And how much is this scheme going to cost in order to generate these custom vouchers? How much for the monthly assessments? Will one of a couple be able to use vouchers issued to the other member?

• Like 1

When my family  was on 'Family Income Supplement ' in the 1980's we got 'Milk Vouchers & Vitamin Drop Vouchers',

i was working Full time for the Council

& still earning below the Means Tested allowance, and yet still paying Tax & National Insurance,

then being paid F.I.S. & Family Allowance, then had Married Persons Tax Allowance & Mortgage Tax Relief.

(the jobs for the boys are always with the Agencies, and Printing was this countries biggest and wealthiest industry.

Every Budget and interest rate change required every document to be reprinted and reproduced.)

Instead of being ripped off at Supermarkets then when handing over the Voucher for milk, & getting expensive milk. (80's remember)

i like many other went to the 'Corner Multi Market' and exchange the Voucher for Milk & Food, veg, eggs, chicken etc.

The Milk Vouchers were dealt with as 'the corner shop keeper' had to.

Lots of dried milk from those Vouchers ended up in countries overseas.

Just as did the Dried Milk & Butter from the 'Butter Mountain' did.

There is waste of non Picked Fruits & Vegetables all over this country, not economic for the Farmers, producers to glean.

(Milk is also still dumped.)

No market for it, and they would need to pay for the labour.

Yet they need to remove that left over produce and destroy to get the fields prepared for the next crops going in.

Luckily now Charities are getting well organised and Farmers are allowing them to clear crops.

Not long until the Government and Supermarkets will stamp that out,

they like to be in control of peoples hunger and needs.

george

• Like 1

I'd just ask how many years in your life you've worked . Me - it's 54 out of my 66 years of age, so I don't think that now I'm LEECHING . I''d love a job , but to get there ,I need to take a bus . Bus stop is 100yds away ,so I can't walk there .In fact  ,i find 20-30 yds difficult. Now if I was sub 64, I'd get help to allow me the dignity of using the bus ,and allow me to perhaps put something back in to help cater for my help .

but alas Im 66, so no help there as although I need daily help with most household activities, I'm told i can manage with suitable accessories . Just one problem -who pays . ( Bit like the hole in the bucket ???? , Dear IDS ,DEAR ids )

Hate the program......gets right up my back passage...... I am a contractor and when i am out of work i will spend every day looking for then next contract. On average i was apply to anything and everything......when i was out of work for 4 months i basically lived on cheap food. Elec was hardly used. Gas was off unless i needed it, and a couple of things got sold.......never applied for benefits.....

The problem with vouchers, is there will always be someone willing to buy them at a discount, or get their Pal some ciggies paying cash and use their pals vouchers for the food bill

Then the poor check out girl at the supermarket, Sorry you can not have alcohol or tobacco with vouchers, these people would eat her for breakfast

Theft would increase,

The chap who would like his Disability car back to go to work aged 66, well retirement age is 65 though there is no law to do so, only doing a younger man out of employment, buy a mobility scooter if you want to get out and about

I have the same miniscule pensions £10 too much for benefits, yet the pensions I have are taxed too

Same work ethos only I did not start real work until I left school at 15 other than paper boy and Saturday job, so only managed 51 years without a break in employment

A working man has to earn £35k a year before tax to equal benefit awards

We all have experience of the said people, that have everything possible in the house, smart car and seem to have about £300 per week pocket money

I was a civil Serpent you know civil serpent £150k a year and golden handshake with previous years income as annual retirement pension   (Well it was £13500 actually and £20pw pension in my case)

It was hell

I had one "customer" Somali lady with eight children no income and just arrived, I gave her £36k lump sum, she had two houses knocked into one, and £875 per week

She was on the phone to me, as she could not put all the kids in the Range Rover for the school run,

Unfortunately for me I advised her to sell the Range Rover and buy a mini bus (All calls are recorded)

She complained, the recording was checked, I was suspended without pay for 12 weeks, and then pay reduced to probation pay (12k) for one year to be reviewed after that period

This CALL was common about twice a day but previously I had bit my tongue and paid out without COMMENT

Something must be done we are spending more on benefits than the UK has income by about £1billion a year

Cor job done, do you know how difficult that was on a Sinclair 81k black and white portable TV

National

• Like 2

Food for thought.There are english speaking Commonwealth citizens out there who have proven British heritage going back to 1066.Their fathers and grandfathers fought for Britain in both world wars.They were brought up as British citizens,drive on the correct side of the road and see the UK as the mother country.But ! They are not even allowed to apply to immigrate to the UK.No chance unless they have 10 university degrees and 40 years experience.However- anyone from the EU can stroll in,claim benifits (using an interpreter),be given a house and free everything else and have no connection or loyalty to this country whatsoever.Now is it me just being a grumpy old man or is something wrong somewhere.

• Like 1