08 Roomster 2 - Module or Reflector headlights

Leapy

Hello there. I have an 08 Roomster 2 (1.6 petrol).

For the first time since new, I have a headlight bulb gone and need to replace.

I have three questions, sorry:

a) I notice that both dipped and full-beam have gone so I assume that the same bulb supplies both?

b ) Halfords website lists replacement bulbs under "module" or "reflector" headlights. How do I determine which I have?

c) I have always thought that the headlights were fairly dim on the car. I will now be spending a long time each day commuting through the winter half-light so wonder if there is a straightforward & cheap way of improving the brightness?

I have read through the previous posts but they assume that the headlight type is already known and rapidly move onto quite complex replacement headlight sets. I would prefer to keep things simple and use upgraded bulbs in the current housings.

Many thanks in advance

L

Edited by Leapy

Hi Leapy, if your headlights looks like this one

fkrfssk010025-l_z1.jpg

then you must use H7 bulbs. 

If your headlights looks like this one 

1355239380-90281800.jpg

then you have to use H4 bulbs.

It's true that headlights are not the best in Roomster (and not only). Mine has the H4 bulb headlight. What I did was to replace the OEM fitted bulbs with Osram Nightbreaker ones (Philips Xtreme vision are equaly good) and then I asked the mechanic to adjust the beam that way, so it is just (hardly) above the upper limit at the photometron (the equipment that measures the light beam). I think it is about half a turn the adjuster hexagon screw which is on top of the headlight. 

Since then I solved the bad lights problem, plus no one from the oncoming traffic ever been annoyed, at least no one flashed his / her lights signaling against me. I hope this will help you. 

Disclaimer : I found the photos using google search, I do not own them or have any relation with their owners. 

Edited by stratosg
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks, same issue here, '57 plate, so older type headlights, just retrofitted (yesterday) a set of Philips X-treme Vision H7 bulbs, up to north Leeds and back last night, dramatic improvement!

Now I know to peel the rubber cover off, then anti-clockwise twist the combined bulb-holder and connector (bit like a bayonet bulb at home), carefully withdraw whole shebang, I re-used a foam shield to protect the bulb (but you can pry the old bulb free using a small flatblade screwdriver, and then remove the old and fit the new bulb purely by holding it's base-plate). Both sides, about 20mins start to finish, used a slimline pair of rubber gloves (both to protect the bulbs AND my hands in the tight confines).

For the offside light, I held the fuel filter hoses up with my right hand, and did the biz with the left.  Slightly fiddly both sides, but don't rush it, and remember you've a clockwise twist to lock the bulbholder into position.

Bit pricy at c£29, but quick delivery, a free twin-pack of capless sidelight bulbs, and a year's guarantee.  We'll see how they last!

Richard

PS I used Powerbulbs if you were wondering!