DPF Removal

I've recently purchased a 2008 vrs with 2.0 170bhp PD engine with 54,000 on clock, I've been told 1st thing I should do is get the DPF removed as this will most likely cause me trouble in the future and the car will run and response a lot better without it. TRUE?

I'm from the midlands (nottingham) and was wondering best place to have it done and price, also do I have to have a remap at the same time or can I put that off a little longer.

• Like 1

+1 for the answer above. Never used them but loads of others on here have. When mine is 3 years old May be making the trip out.

Grinned reading the fist post, reads like the guys from Shark planted it! Saw the answer coming before I read it!

Thinking about it, am I right in thinking if you get a DPF deleted then you should get the car tuned to reflect the DPF removal?

May not be stage 1 but it still a tweak.

When you get it removed the ECU needs to be altered to stop the dpf light being on all the time.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I've recently purchased a 2008 vrs with 2.0 170bhp PD engine with 54,000 on clock, I've been told 1st thing I should do is get the DPF removed as this will most likely cause me trouble in the future and the car will run and response a lot better without it. TRUE?

I'm from the midlands (nottingham) and was wondering best place to have it done and price, also do I have to have a remap at the same time or can I put that off a little longer.

The ash level in the dpf is what will limit its lifespan, that can be checked with VCDS easily enough.

Mine is at less than half the Max after 70k.

Entirely depends on your driving.

If the car is used for stop start short journeys and very few long trips (7miles + at a decent speed) then eventualy you might have issues.

If its going up the motorway all day or your trip to work is a good few miles then its likely you wont have any issues.

Shark are not cheap (£800 for a dpf removal and map) but do some highly recomended. At the end of the day though its all down to how you use the car. There might be no need for removal and you'd be throwing money away

Thinking about it, am I right in thinking if you get a DPF deleted then you should get the car tuned to reflect the DPF removal?

May not be stage 1 but it still a tweak.

That's exactly what Rover220 meant by saying "mapped out"

• Like 2

It's called a stage 0 map.

When I got a quote last year from Shark for a DPF removal and stage 0 map it was around £450.

I had the choice of a stage 1 or 2 map (extra power) at more cost, perhaps these are closer to £800?

• 1 month later...

I had mine removed on my 140 superb. It was 60% blocked and was only going to get worse. I'm glad it's off now but notice the diesel fumes all the time now. I'd forgot I had a diesel when I drove it with dpf on.

Automatic MOT failure from Feb 2014

They will only check that the DPF is physically there. Shark remove the innards and leave the box in place.

Mark

Edited by mark999
  • Like 1

Mine had inner workings removed after 200k !

It's done 214000 and the car feels and has been fine after the correct map was used.

If your doing motorway miles (50 miles a day sort if thing) just leave it in because it wouldn't be a problem . Ash content needs to be checked and the sensors can play up that's all .

Mine could no longer re-gen enough and DPF delete was a cheaper option.

MOT will be fine as long as all components are in place and sensors as they should be .

The map ( if good ) will sort the emissions .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just had a read of the above link. Seems they dont know what its for, they for get to mention that it spits the crap out once you reach a certain speed etc

It doesn't spit it out exactly. It will burn off making more CO2 and NO2 etc. and finer spot particles which may be better or worse than the bigger particles that get trapped in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...

This may already have been mentioned, but I read in the press yesterday that any diesel motor that was fitted with a DPF as standard when new will be checked when it has a MOT.  If the DPF is missing or the innards have been removed the MOT will automatically fail. This regulation comes into force in February 2014.

Happy New Year

Mac

An article in Auto Express about DPF removal a few weeks ago mentioned the stance taken by insurers on this. All stated it was a performance modification and several (Admiral was one of them) refused to cover cars with a DPF removed.