Skoda Superb - Winter Tyres and Rims

Your top speed for a 170 estate is 135mph, H is 130mph, however, you are permitted to fit a winter tyre with a lower speed rating and there is a setting in maxi dot for winter tyres to remind you when you go above 90mph.

There is a +/- option in maxi dot settings for winter tyres, so you can set the warning to a speed more appropriate to the tyre rating.

I have started to look for winter tyres. For those who want to make use of the improved exchange rate to the Euro look here

www.tirendo.de

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32 205/55 R16 94V XL - 4 tyres for £220
Semperit SPEED-GRIP 2 205/55 R16 94H XL - 4 tyres for £205
Yokohama W.drive V902B 205/55 R16 94V XL , RPB, asymmetrical - 4 tyres for £233
Nokian WR A3 205/55 R16 91H , asymmetrical - 4 tyres for £191.

I have used the Nokian WR A3 last year and they are impressive.

They - Tirendo - do not charge P&P and send the tyres to your front door.

You just need your set of winter wheels and the job is done.

Just to mention I do not have any shares with them....

Edited by 26DIPP
  • Like 1

I have started to look for winter tyres. For those who want to make use of the improved exchange rate to the Euro look here

www.tirendo.de

Good find this site. Was going to order some Continentals from Camskill in about 2 weeks but they are the same price on this website in euros, so 30% less. Nice. Anyone comment on wear and tear of the tyres, which gives most mileage?

www.tirendo.de

There is a nice set of wheels and winter tyres in the classifieds:notme:

• Like 1

Anyone comment on wear and tear of the tyres, which gives most mileage?

I've used Vredestein Wintrac Extreme on my last two cars (18" and 16"). My personal experience is that they've handled ice, snow and hail excellently (unlike the cars around me).  :( 

Road noise hasn't been noticeably any worse than my current summer Pirelli P Zero Rosso, and they're quieter than the original Škoda fitted Continentals they replaced.

As to wear, my Superb's 16" have done 4 winters which for me equates to about 18,000 miles and they still have plenty of tread. Gizmo68 now has them, maybe he can confirm how much tread is left? They've certainly lasted twice as long as the Continental tyres that came fitted on the car.

I was contemplating switching to Continentals for my next car's winter tyres, but on hindsight I'll probably go with the Vredestein again (better the devil you know!).

Is that confirmed for the UK? Have you ordered from them?

Reading through their Hilfe "Help" section I can only find references to delivery within Germany, although that's to approved tyre fitters.

I'd be chuffed if they do as it saves about £50 on a set of Vredesteins for me compared to MyTyres.

Just in case, before I commit to order, I've sent an email asking them to confirm if they accept orders from and deliver to the UK and if there's any shipping cost involved.

• Like 1

maybe he can confirm how much tread is left? 

IIRC there is just over 5mm left on them, certainly enough for another winter before they hit the magical 4mm where most winter tyres end up on eBay  :D (which is the recommended depth they are changed... because the sipes have then worn away)

• Like 1

www.tirendo.de

I have had a response from Tirendo. Their .de site is for the Germany market only, they will not accept orders from, or deliver to, the UK on that site. 

The UK site is tirendo.co.uk

I did a comparison between tirendo uk (red) and mytyres uk (purple)...

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32 205/55 R16 94V XL - 4 tyres for £220 £270 £267

Semperit SPEED-GRIP 2 205/55 R16 94H XL - 4 tyres for £205 Not Listed £269
Yokohama W.drive V902B 205/55 R16 94V XL , RPB, asymmetrical - 4 tyres for £233 £306 £304
Nokian WR A3 205/55 R16 91H , asymmetrical - 4 tyres for £191. Not Listed (£287 for 94H) £242

tirendo.co.uk is a German supplier based in Berlin and mytyres.co.uk is a German supplier based in Hanover.

You're paying about £50 over the German prices for delivery to the UK.

MyTyres still have the edge on price and selection, but only just.

In addition to tyreleader I also use mytyres who are also competitive.   I got some more Goodyear Ultragrip 8 winters from mytyres a couple of weeks ago. I like the Ultragrip 8 winters. Since 2012 they have amazed me with their performance in the snow.  A number of times in the North of England I have overtaken 4wd's stuck on steep hills with summer tyres yet have been able to continue easily in my 2wd drive Fiat without difficulty on the Ultragrips. They new Ultragrip 9 is receiving good reviews, but it is not available in the size I need yet. They are not a cheap tyre though.

Edited by Pesmog

Apologies if I'm going over old ground but the thread doesn't seem to have an answer to my specific query...

I wish to purchase a set of 4 alloy wheels with winter tyres for my 2014 Skoda Superb 2.0TDi CR Elegance Estate 4x4 170BHP DSG

It is fitted with 18" wheels at present and 225/40 tyres.  I wish to change to 17" wheels for the winter tyres - ideally in a 205/50 size.
The tyres I want are Continental ContiWinterContact TS850's
Having looked on 'MyTyres.co.uk' I am confused about the rim sizes available; they range from 6.5J to 7.5J and OS45 to OS49.
Can anyone please advise which wheel/tyre sizes will work best?

My winter rims are ET36 and 17" diameter with 7.5" width.

Tyres are 225/45/17

ESA Tecar SuperGrip 7+ (never heard of them but were on the rims when I got the car - quite popular here in Switzerland it seems). Spec and review of the tyre below (and some photos).

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/ESA-Tecar/TECAR-Super-Grip-7-Plus-HP-210.htm

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/the-best-winter-tyres-for-2014-2015-in-size-175-65-r14-t

Dave

post-125322-0-73862100-1440321256_thumb.jpg

post-125322-0-15306700-1440321290_thumb.jpg

Apologies if I'm going over old ground but the thread doesn't seem to have an answer to my specific query...

I wish to purchase a set of 4 alloy wheels with winter tyres for my 2014 Skoda Superb 2.0TDi CR Elegance Estate 4x4 170BHP DSG

It is fitted with 18" wheels at present and 225/40 tyres.  I wish to change to 17" wheels for the winter tyres - ideally in a 205/50 size.
The tyres I want are Continental ContiWinterContact TS850's
Having looked on 'MyTyres.co.uk' I am confused about the rim sizes available; they range from 6.5J to 7.5J and OS45 to OS49.
Can anyone please advise which wheel/tyre sizes will work best?

Page 247 - 261 state for a 205/50/17” (M&S) tyre they are fitted from the factory with 6J (ET45) wheel

The 225/45/17” tyres are fitted with either 7J or 7.5J ET49 wheels

I have 205/55/16” winter tyres fitted to a 7J (ET42) wheel and IMO they are the perfect size wheel for the tyre.

The non M&S 205 tyres use a 7” wide wheel (the only 17” 205 tyre they list is for the M&S) 

I believe that your factory 18" wheels are: 7.5J x 18, PCD of 5/112 and OS 47.

Have a play around on http://www.willtheyfit.com to see what offset you need for a given width of alloy. If you go for a narrower alloy wheel (eg 7.0J) then there is obviously less width, and therefore in order to keep the wheel relatively flush with the wheel arch, you need a smaller offset.

I think you are fine to go to 17" wheels with 225/45 17 tyres. For my winter wheels, I bought 7.0J x 17 5/112 OS 38, which were a Dezent after-market wheel.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Ive been playing in the snow up in the lower alps today and considering ive only got Firestone summer tread tyres on I was well impressed it coped well in packed down snow and ice the only times the traction control light came on was pulling away uphill on snow I would think that with a decent winter tyre on it would be much better,the biggest problem was a tendancy to go straight on ,on the bends but a little touch of throttle and I could feel the haldex working to get the car under control. If it gets bad take the truck!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, time to buy new tyres. Originally bought these tyres 

Continental Conti Winter Contact TS 850 -  205/55 R16 94V

Anything new on the market, anything better?

Nokian

• Like 1

Ok, time to buy new tyres. Originally bought these tyres 

Continental Conti Winter Contact TS 850 -  205/55 R16 94V

Anything new on the market, anything better?

Better or not, cannot say, but first tyre with A rating for wet conditions.

https://www.nokiantyres.com/winter-tyres/nokian-wr-d4/

Will fit next week for my European set of wheels (driving with studded Nokians at home).

Edited by linni

Interested in overall mileage returns for the Nokian v Continental, anyone any idea?

Looking here the Nokian is about 10 euro per tyre cheaper.

Bought 'V' before but does 'H' make a difference? Up to 149 or 130? Don't do much over 80?

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres-205-55-16-94-V/?s=W&m%5B9%5D=on&m%5B20%5D=on

Edited by doleawg

Can't compare them as I have not used Continental winters, but both the A3 and D3 Nokians wear very well with approx 20k miles only scrubbing 2-3mm of rubber off (better than the Continental summer tyres I was also running)