Intelligent lighting assist - impressed

Just got back from a 60 mile drive round some country lanes and have to say I'm very impressed with the lighting assist function

Full beams on and as soon as I saw a car it would dip the headlights. Even coming into towns it would dip them at roughly the same time I would have done. Catch up wth a car ahead and again the headlights dip at just the right time.

Very impressed with a system which I had my doubts would work correctly. I had visions of it only turning the full beams off when a car was very close.

A nice feature I'll be using a lot :-)

I don't remember seeing this as an option on the configurator for the VRs at all? Or I'd have tried it! 

I think it's the feature called "High Beam Assistant" and it's a £300 option.  I was very tempted but was already pushing my budget with satnav etc.

I think it's the feature called "High Beam Assistant" and it's a £300 option. I was very tempted but was already pushing my budget with satnav etc.

Since vRS owners have the camera for lane assist, I wonder if it's just something that can be 'turned on' in software?

P

Sent from my HTC One max using Tapatalk

Since vRS owners have the camera for lane assist, I wonder if it's just something that can be 'turned on' in software?

P

Sent from my HTC One max using Tapatalk

I do not have lane assist, and the camera that I have on my O3 with Intelligent Light Assist(High Beam Assistant in UK) is different than the one for lane assist. I am not sure if the lane assist camera can handle also the High Beam Assistant. In theory it should, but with Skoda you never know :)

Intelligent Light Assist is impressive, it works really nice, I tested it last evening for a 2 hours drive on the high way. It might be a problem when the car in front of you has really poor back lights(which is something really common in Romania :) )

Edited by Bogdan81

I think the tech has come quite a long way in the past few years, early implementations were pretty woeful but is useful nowadays.

Remember my old man had a 2007 E92 BMW 335d M Sport with it on and he used it once or twice and never did again; either blinded people for seconds at a time or turned off when getting reflections from road signs.

Now has an M135i with the visibility package and its apparently a world of difference. Im certain having looked at it the sensor arrangement is completely different so sure the hardware and the way they operate has changed.

This is an excellent and very helpful thread - thank you.

There are a lot of options available nowadays, some excellent, some a bit of a waste of money.  First-hand, realistic and even (where appropriate) sceptical accounts of owners' actual experience in everyday use is invaluable.  Thanks, guys.

Just been playing around with the configurator. It's interesting how some of the kit standard on elegance seems to be missing from the vRS which many regard as the range topper. I think the following seem to be deleted...

High Beam Assist - £300

Cruise Control - £180

Colour Maxidot - £80

Amundsen - £550

...and the following which do not appear as options on vRS...

Alcantara and leather upholstery

Auto dimming rear view mirror

Storage box under front passenger seat

Rain Sensor

Folding mirrors with boarding spots

So that's £1110 extra for the items that are available plus the difference in list price compared to the Eleg150CR making a total extra over cost of £2,380. Total non metallic price for vRS would be £24,370.

When I look at the vRS, it includes the following that are not standard on Eleg...

3 spoke steering wheel - £200

Backrest release for rear seats - £85

18" Alloys - £350

Bi Xenon and cornering fogs - £1050

LED rear lights - £150

Sports suspension - £170

...and the following which are not available on an Eleg...

Lane assistant

Sports seats

Stainless steel pedals

Honeycomb air intakes

Fake exhaust tips

Sports style bumpers

Rear spoiler

vRS logos and kick plates

Total comparable price for the Eleg is £23,795. So that boils down to an extra £575 for the vRS styling, 0.1 sec quicker sprint time and lane assistant which seems quite reasonable to me but I can't believe SUK are so tight that they omit the folding mirrors, dimming rear view mirror and rain sensor which would appear to be the main items missing from the vRS spec or option list.

I started to write this thinking the vRS was a bit of a con, but have now convinced myself it's actually worth the extra, with a few sensible options, but SUK have been crafty with the list pricing to keep the headline price as close to Eleg as poss and they need to open up the option list just a little further to put the icing on the cake.

I always thought the Elegance was the top model, the vRS is just the sports model.

Rain Sensor

The ones marked in bold are standard on the vRS thats why theyre not options.

Edited by Neily03
  • Like 1

I always thought the Elegance was the top model, the vRS is just the sports model.

The ones marked in bold are standard on the vRS thats why theyre not options.

Hopefully then whoever updates the SUK website will read this and correct it accordingly! :rofl:

Nothing has changed there for some 30 years or more. A cavalier CD was higher spec even than an SRi130, and many of the luxuries such as pas, electric windows, sunroof, even radio cassette were far from standard. Hence if you want sport flagship not luxury you can normally upspec!

I think the tech has come quite a long way in the past few years, early implementations were pretty woeful but is useful nowadays.

Remember my old man had a 2007 E92 BMW 335d M Sport with it on and he used it once or twice and never did again; either blinded people for seconds at a time or turned off when getting reflections from road signs.

I've got it on my current 09 plate 320D.  It's very poor - exactly as above.

Just been playing around with the configurator. It's interesting how some of the kit standard on elegance seems to be missing from the vRS which many regard as the range topper. I think the following seem to be deleted...

High Beam Assist - £300

Cruise Control - £180

Colour Maxidot - £80

Amundsen - £550

Rain Sensor

So that's £1110 extra for the items that are available plus the difference in list price compared to the Eleg150CR making a total extra over cost of £2,380. Total non metallic price for vRS would be £24,370.

When I look at the vRS, it includes the following that are not standard on Eleg...

18" Alloys - £350

LED rear lights - £150

Sports suspension - £170

Lane assistant

Sports seats

Stainless steel pedals

Honeycomb air intakes

Fake exhaust tips

Sports style bumpers

Rear spoiler

Total comparable price for the Eleg is £23,795. So that boils down to an extra £575 for the vRS styling, 0.1 sec quicker sprint time and lane assistant which seems quite reasonable to me but I can't believe SUK are so tight that they omit the folding mirrors, dimming rear view mirror and rain sensor which would appear to be the main items missing from the vRS spec or option list.

I started to write this thinking the vRS was a bit of a con, but have now convinced myself it's actually worth the extra, with a few sensible options, but SUK have been crafty with the list pricing to keep the headline price as close to Eleg as poss and they need to open up the option list just a little further to put the icing on the cake.

Thought Lane Assistant was an option on the Elegance? Didn't spec it on mine though.

High Beam Assist - £300

Cruise Control - £180

Colour Maxidot - £80

Amundsen - £550

Rain Sensor

18" Alloys - £350

LED rear lights - £150

Sports suspension - £170

Lane assistant

Sports seats

Stainless steel pedals

Honeycomb air intakes

Fake exhaust tips

Sports style bumpers

Rear spoiler

"So that boils down to an extra £575 for the vRS styling, 0.1 sec quicker sprint time".  I assume this is comparing the 150hp and 184hp diesels?

I don't believe that an extra 34hp only reduces the 0-60 by 0.1sec.  One (or both!) of the stated 0-60 times is obviously wrong.  Has any car mag published measured 0-60 rather than just quoting Skoda's figures.