OE Tyres.

Neo_VR

As you can tell I'm no expert on tyres. To be honest they have given me no problems. Looking forward to the forecast dry sunny day tommorow and a chance to finally tinker with my Citigo. It seems to have done nothing but rain since taking delivery of it a month ago.

Hankook has done pretty well in tests. Good value for money.

but fatbelly commented..."Hankooks don't appear anything special"    http://www.tyrerevie...Kinergy-Eco.htm

Rather than rely on something that apparently did "pretty well in tests", I relied on my own experience with them...........and took them off and replaced them with Goodyears on my i10

"Good value for money."  ......Personally I rate tyre performance and safety over value for money.

Edited by oldstan

but fatbelly commented..."Hankooks don't appear anything special"    http://www.tyrerevie...Kinergy-Eco.htm

Rather than rely on something that apparently did "pretty well in tests", I relied on my own experience with them...........and took them off and replaced them with Goodyears on my i10

"Good value for money."  ......Personally I rate tyre performance and safety over value for money.

My bad. I should have say "quite" or "relatively". I know Hankook does not sound as fancy as Goodyear. Still average driver does not see the difference. Especially if he inflate tyres improperly, or not at all.

I ordered Hankook winter tyres (with spikes) for my Octavia. Summer tyres are already Hankooks.

...and, because they last half as long, I get new ones twice as often?

Nothing of the sort.

my last set were made of such tough cheap rubber, they had no grip in cooler temps, but wore at such a slow rate I never used a set in the entire ownership of the car. They were £10 each.

Ok thats an extreme end of the scale, but most brands have limited grip or wear difference, a lot of tyre branding is purely playing on the phsykie (cant spell that) of brand trust when in fact knowing more about optimal tyre temperatures and wear rates will get you a better tyre choice.

In my example I bought tyres that didnt warm until 17 degs as they were for the malaysian market, (and the rubber so poor (hard) they didnt wear.) so anything but mid summer made the grip useless.

The benefit to me was my car handled like I was colin mcrea doing 90mph on ice whilst never going over 40mph. It was great fun.

I simply dont see the point of a ferrari that grips perfectly up to 130mph, when if you were a 130 and it skidded, you would just crash, because most of us dont drive at that skill level. and secondly, you would be breaking some serious laws.

me, I prefer to drive slow but feel like an f1 driver driving on the edge.

For a longer explanation, dunlop and the likes improved their tyres. The mould machine was 5 - 10 years old and they arranged to sell them to gain some income.

What happened was dodgy asian firms bought them, used inferior rubber and started shipping in exact matching tread patterns of high end tyres. The firms then had to spend a fortune buying back the machines and melting them down.

So whats my point? really dodgy branded tyres often are imported and do not suit our climate for grip, but don't necassarily wear quick

official brands but none "big names" are almost identical to major brands, but often cheaper because they are still wrong climate rather than higher wearing. eg imported from germany or spain. (eg continental)

so many stories saying ooh they gripped less or wore quicker that dunlop/michellin/xyz are because they are the wrong temp range or are not comparable grip rated to compare correctly.

another story:

I once imported Michellin F1 model name tyres from france for the french market. They cost £1500 for four, and I was down to the skin in 2000 miles.

But boy, they gripped.

I ordered Hankook winter tyres (with spikes) for my Octavia. Summer tyres are already Hankooks.

dont even get me started on how pointless winter tyres are in the UK... :giggle:

cold weather tyres maybe, but again in the UK its all a lot of marketing hype. Our temps change too much daily. In austria where snow is on the ground and its -10 for 3 months... then thats fine.

• Like 1

worth a read;

http://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/www/tyres_uk_en/themes/car-tyres/winter-tyres/why-winter-tyres/why-winter-tyres.html

There is a huge lack of awareness in the UK about winter tyres. Either motorists are not aware they exist or they think that the tyre can only be used during times of heavy snow or ice.

• 4 weeks later...

The PremiumContact 2's are better than the 3's though

I find they wear quickly and feel like driving on ice all the time.

Sadly they're the only option on the Sharan as they come in contiseal version and there's no spare or gunk kit!

Might have to adopt them on the Touran too unless Michelin do their own version :(

I have the Hankooks and find grip in the wet poor. I would to take them off and swap them, but I may be rejecting the car anyway.