CAVE & CTHE 1.4TSI, Just reply please if you have had an engine replaced.

1 hour ago, bobster62 said:

My engine was changed in April this year 2017  . . .

Why was your engine changed?

How much oil was it consuming?

Would you be willing to give a bit more detail please?

What garage?

Edited by SeaGoat

Not been on this site for a while. Got a 63 plate Fabia VRS but will be letting it go soon. Good news is the engine now doesn't use any oil between annual services. This is my 5th engine.

However the cabin stinks of petrol all the time and having had it in twice with no joy  I'm finally getting rid. Up and down 5 years 2 cars and 5 engines but enough is enough. Had some fun, getting an ordinary 1.2 Monte Carlo and hope this is easier to live with. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Neillvrs said:

Not been on this site for a while. Got a 63 plate Fabia VRS but will be letting it go soon. Good news is the engine now doesn't use any oil between annual services. This is my 5th engine.

However the cabin stinks of petrol all the time and having had it in twice with no joy  I'm finally getting rid. Up and down 5 years 2 cars and 5 engines but enough is enough. Had some fun, getting an ordinary 1.2 Monte Carlo and hope this is easier to live with. 

5 engines! :o

Was that all because of oil usage?

The last engine didn't use any oil over the last 3 years, all the engines were done in the first 2 years. The car went 62 to 63 because I rejected the first car after the 3rd engine still used too much oil.

Goes to show the engines can be built right and not use oil but you've got to be persistent. 

• Like 2

On 02/08/2017 at 06:21, Neillvrs said:

The last engine didn't use any oil over the last 3 years, all the engines were done in the first 2 years. The car went 62 to 63 because I rejected the first car after the 3rd engine still used too much oil.

Goes to show the engines can be built right and not use oil but you've got to be persistent. 

Are we talking then about:

• Car A (62 plate) - original engine and two replacements failed oil consumption tests over a two year period - REJECTED
  • Car B (63 plate) - original engine failed oil consumption test, replacement not burning oil after three years - SUCCESS!

12 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

how-to-win-the-lottery.jpg

FirstPrize.png

animals-robert_the_bruce-spider-web-software-pcs-wda0770_low.jpg

Is this problem with 1.4 engines confined to the Mk2 Fabia VRS, or are other VAG 1.4 petrol engines similarly problematic?

I may be in the market for a 4 to 5 year old Polo, Golf, Octy offering the 1.4 engine. Any reason to avoid? Thanks

It is a Euro 5 1.4TSI / TFSI 132-136kw Twincharger problem. SEAT, Skoda, VW, Audi.

Covered here pretty much.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues 

Should have been resolved late 2012 early 2013 when engines revised, turns out it was not.

Even Euro 5 1.4tsi up to 150 ps were OK, 160ps possibly not.

105, 122, 140ps 1.4TSI Turbos are usually OK and have not the issues Twincharger had.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Thanks 1

It was a success until the smell of petrol issue which has led me to get rid of the car. At least whoever gets my old car won't be having to worry about oil, they just need to get the petrol fumes in the cabin sorted and will have a great little car.

21 hours ago, SeaGoat said:

Are we talking then about:

• Car A (62 plate) - original engine and two replacements failed oil consumption tests over a two year period - REJECTED
  • Car B (63 plate) - original engine failed oil consumption test, replacement not burning oil after three years - SUCCESS!

• 1 month later...

Was asked to post.

Just got mine back after having an engine replacement under warranty, mines a 61 plate CAVE on 40500ish miles and it's had a CTHE short unit fitted to hopefully fix its thirst for oil, one the highest my particular dealer has seen. Now not sure wether to keep and extend the warranty or offload and hope the grass is greener.

• Thanks 1

On 25/09/2017 at 21:15, GenePoolReject said:

Was asked to post.

Just got mine back after having an engine replacement under warranty, mines a 61 plate CAVE on 40500ish miles and it's had a CTHE short unit fitted to hopefully fix its thirst for oil, one the highest my particular dealer has seen. Now not sure wether to keep and extend the warranty or offload and hope the grass is greener.

Sorry if I have missed the post but did you have the "fixes" done aswell prior to the engine change?

• 1 month later...

Not for the last 3 years but did go through 2 cars and 5 engines if you include the original engines. The cars were under warranty at the time. Just got to be persistent and keep good records of all faults and incidents.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Bump.

For the new member needing a new engine. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/451694-skoda-fabia-vrs-14-tsi   

Ask the RAC Warranty people to ask Skoda about any Known Issues with 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132/136kw Twinchargers & if Skoda do not know of any & the RAC are surprised by the high failure rate they must be stupid & deaf, & blind.

Something wrong were Warranty Providers, Skoda / RAC or others take peoples money then say 'Known Issues' Wear & Tear' etc.  

If anyone should know those in the business should know.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/440772-nightmare-fabia-vrs-engine-replacement-needed 

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

2010 cave engine. Bought November 2012 with no knowledge of issues. Not on forum. Oil warning light came on January 2013. First. Is it to skoda approved garage and new breathe system replaced. Then used 2l of oil in 400 miles. New engine approved and fitted by Lightcliffe Skoda with 12000 miles on the clock. No paperwork for swap and told engine came blank and they re-stamped old engine number on so no need to inform DVLA!

car now done 48000 miles and oil has to be topped up from time to time. Possibly half a litre every 1500 miles.

• 2 months later...

Hello everybody, I'd like to know what the consensus is at present about the CAVE / CTHE engines. First, I read somewhere that 2012 produced CAVE engines were very similar if not identical to CTHE, same new pistons, injectors, sparks, coils etc. So one would expect 2012 CAVE to have a very low rate of failure, similar to CTHE. Is that the case ? Also, how are the statistics on the upgraded CTHE to begin with ?

Welcome.

No it is not the case. 

Even early CTHE had issues and were oil users in some cases and needed New Oil Spray Jets and even Engines were replaced.

There needed to be software updates to early CTHE and they still burned one spark plug.

But there are good CAVE and good CTHE and plenty CAVE with a replaced engine or even more than one as there are CTHE with new engines.

There is pinned threads at the top of the page on oil users, and also Lucifer's Ultimate Guide links up in the pinned threads.

There were less than 1,800 CAVE engine Mk2 Fabia in the UK ands 1,100 CTHE ones. 

More than 20% failures of CAVE but less than that with the CTHE.  & that is with VW, SEAT and Audi as well.

PS

With late CAVE / 2012 be aware of possible DSG issues as these may have never not had or required Service Campaign '347F' carried out (according to VW / Skoda), 

and were not eligible for '34H5', and can be the ones that then get the 'flashing spanner' warning.

This is different from other DSG warnings, 2010-2012, or 2013-2014.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply. One thing though, for those that are considering buying sh without any warranty, is what type of failures are likely ? Earlier CAVE I belive had many horrible failures, pistons cracked and cilynders scratched (i.e. whole block was dead, or maybe you could bore it wider if lucky), all these meant the cost of repairs = new engine, if you could find one. So a huge risk if looking for a sh car without warranty.

Well what about the "revised" 2012 CAVE and early CTHE ? Are they still susceptible to the same type of major failures, or are they more likely to have lesser problems which would be (substantially) cheaper to repair ? Thanks again for the info.

You buy a good one from someone that knows it is good and selling only because needs must.  Maybe from the Briskoda for sales or friends of friends.

Otherwise you are entering a lottery with not good odds in your favour.

There are no cheap fixes now if you get a bad one.  You want a car from a dealers that you can reject soon after buying if it is a wrong one.

Even Skoda Warranties are not worth the paper they are written on when it comes to major issues which is why cars are punted to WBAC, Evans Halshaw etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Do you know what engine parts did VW / Skoda change when they replaced this engine type due to block damage (cracked pistons, cylinder heads etc.) under warranty in Europe ?  I'd like to know if the replacement also typically included injectors, pumps, turbo and ECU ? Or just the engine block ? Thanks for the info.

3 hours ago, vwfan111 said:

Do you know what engine parts did VW / Skoda change when they replaced this engine type due to block damage (cracked pistons, cylinder heads etc.) under warranty in Europe ?  I'd like to know if the replacement also typically included injectors, pumps, turbo and ECU ? Or just the engine block ? Thanks for the info.

Ours is an April 2012 CAVE engine, replaced under warranty by Skoda UK at 26,000 miles. Replaced with CAVE engine, not used a drop in nigh on 50,000 miles since. Some folk independent of VAG are now recommending fitting VW Scirocco injectors to resolve the problem. I have no idea if it works.

Ours is one of many 2012 models to fail, black pack models which is a coincidence. Never had DSG service action, told 3 times didn't need it doing. So, fast forward to this time last year, out of warranty, and the Mechatronic unit and clutch packs need replacing at cost of £3200. It then transpires, after asking elsewhere on owners groups, that our 2012 is again one of many to have suffered same problem with same background ie engine change and no dsg service action.

For Skoda UK of course, none of the above happened, purely an internet conspiracy, an urban myth.

• Like 1