New MIB Columbus & Amundsen maps are out - 78 ECE

I really don't understand why Skoda decided to reuse the names for the new MIB units as they are completely different. It makes for a lot of confusion considering that the other units are still in production.

Lol, I've not long updated the Sat nav, best I do it again then!! Thanks for the information. :happy:

On previous threads there was talk of the process taking ages to download etc. As you've done it could you please advise me & others reading if it is straightforward.

Tks.

Took me about three hours last night but relatively straight forward - full instructions are on the website. Only slightly scary bit is having to format the SD card and thereby delete the previous maps before you go ahead loading the new maps on to the card!

Took me about three hours last night but relatively straight forward - full instructions are on the website. Only slightly scary bit is having to format the SD card and thereby delete the previous maps before you go ahead loading the new maps on to the card!

Cant you just copy yhem off to your PC?

My Columbus came with its maps already pre-loaded and I got no SD card from the dealer. Same with you guys?

Yep, Columbus you need a blank SD card of your own, Amundsen you overwrite the Skoda SD card I think.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, time for SD card shopping then! Btw, when I tried to put some radio station logos on my Columbus yesterday, it failed to recognize my WP as a USB drive. Something which the desktop computer does, I was quite surprised. Even more reasons to get a SD card. :)

for this update, you need to unzip the files straight on to the SD card.

don't unzip into a folder on your pc and then copy across as it wont work.

I did that and it did work fine on the last map-update, although it is not best practice.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there somebody that have had any success updating the Amundsen maps using some other SD Card than the original card?

I'm trying to use a faster 16GB SD card, but no luck so far (it's not recognized as map data) ...  :(

I'm starting to wonder if there's some DRM-trickery involved.

The Skoda SD card is the only way to update the Amundsen.

It's not a standard size capacity wise.

That's the only way it knows it's the genuine card.

Ah, so it is! A simple yet effective solution. I was starting to wonder if there was some SDIO extension or pairing to the Amundsen unit going on. Thanks, you saved me from nights trying to hack this thing  :whew:   ;)

Just trying to get the new maps and it is downloading at a snails pace.

Anybody else had very slow download speed? It's going to take over 12 hours to get at the rate the server is letting me have the file.

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded the Columbus file in one go and have it on a USB stick ready to install.  Will the update over-write any saved or recent locations, or are they retained?

By the way I have a USB stick to recommend - Integral 32GB Fusion USB 3 Flash Drive - which is reasonable price for 32GB / USB3 and is REALLY small.  If anyone wants to leave a USB stick in place permanently with music on, it hardly sticks out at all and is very strong, so would not be damaged if you were getting things out of the cubby hole. 

Edited by Juniperz