We've started having tinker with the 2.0TDI 184PS

I'm prepared to be told I'm wrong, but to the best of my knowledge the various modes are changing the throttle response. If its like the sport button found in the vauxhall astras, the car will always produce the same power 150/184bhp but the sport button/modes simply dulls the feel of the pedal.

so to answer your question the sensations you feel when switching between modes will still be apparent, but they will be amplified due to the additional bhp and torque.

Ive tried the various modes on our vRS, and with the additional power i can confirm that sport is very sprightly, where as eco mode feels like someone has placed a sponge beneath the pedal.

Thank you for the reply.  IIRC, the Alfa does not have the full bhp available in all modes so that may be the difference.  If you think the spongey feel on eco is dramatically different to sport, try Alfa's legendary (read: laughable) DNA system!!!

If anyone opts for the box and fancies posting a video on YouTube of a drag race between tuned box and non-tuned box vRS, don't be shy about posting a link on here......

Edited by fiisch

Good to hear. I personally think the 3 channel will make a big deference being able to control maps against RPM. But also agreed the additional fitting requirements does take away or reduce some aspects of the tuning box.

Thank you for the reply.  IIRC, the Alfa does not have the full bhp available in all modes so that may be the difference.  If you think the spongey feel on eco is dramatically different to sport, try Alfa's legendary (read: laughable) DNA system!!!

If anyone opts for the box and fancies posting a video on YouTube of a drag race between tuned box and non-tuned box vRS, don't be shy about posting a link on here......

Now that i'd like to see! Ideally 2 DSGs with launch control so you know changes aren't a factor. ;)

P

i think most of the posts were actually very clear and very informative. im sure it is an option that many will use. you will always get a split of map and box users but hey each to their own and what ever suits any person thats paying the cash.

my only comment would be some questions were left unanswered in responses. my opinion its better to address each comment and question even if its not a definitive anwer but at least an acceptance of a raise comment.

as for the box vs map i dont believe that should be a battle on here and i agree with Andrew they share the market and there is definately room for both.

I look forward to hearing the updates as knowledge of these systems may not suit everyone but will be of interest to many. the discussion just needs to be fair :)

• Like 2

i think most of the posts were actually very clear and very informative. im sure it is an option that many will use. you will always get a split of map and box users but hey each to their own and what ever suits any person thats paying the cash.

my only comment would be some questions were left unanswered in responses. my opinion its better to address each comment and question even if its not a definitive anwer but at least an acceptance of a raise comment.

as for the box vs map i dont believe that should be a battle on here and i agree with Andrew they share the market and there is definately room for both.

I look forward to hearing the updates as knowledge of these systems may not suit everyone but will be of interest to many. the discussion just needs to be fair :)

Ill try and take a step back and take my time before replying, but if anyone has any questions regarding any aspects of the kits then feel free to ask away.

• Like 2

Currently driving mk2 vrs and wanted to be able to release some of the obviously locked potential of the car.

Spoke to Andrew regarding the products they produce and it was obvious from these conversations the he was passionate and informative on the entire subject matter, both in the use of tuning boxes AND remaps. My decision was to purchase one of his tuning boxes and got a car that I belive is what the car should be. (I am happy with changes not bothered or worried that others might be better - my choice)

Having driven the new vrs I have been drawn to its looks, presence on the road, and again my opinion better build quality, so much that I am taking a large hit and have ordered one.

I for one are reading with interest the work that Andrew and Ben are conducting in making a good car better! Plus two major suppliers from either camp working together must be good for all surely?

Now if you could do something about delivery times you would win hundreds of fans!

Edited by Big P
  • Like 1

Hi Paul

You won't be disappointed in the MK3 :) and if you're impressed with the 170 then you're going love the 184. It's a great place to be in and believe it it not I'm not that bothered about the rs4 I have on order as that means I'll have to give the vrs to the mrs :(

Hi Paul

You won't be disappointed in the MK3 :) and if you're impressed with the 170 then you're going love the 184. It's a great place to be in and believe it it not I'm not that bothered about the rs4 I have on order as that means I'll have to give the vrs to the mrs :(

If your bread and butter is tuning diesels... Why have you ordered a RS4? :-)

Lovely car mind...

P

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

If your bread and butter is tuning diesels... Why have you ordered a RS4? :-)

Lovely car mind...

P

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Ive got a deal going with a dealer where they offer me full discount on any audi, in the case of the rs4 its £11,500 saving. Ill run the car for 3 months then trade it on as the used value is about the same as what i paid for the car. So the upfront discount is virtually wiping out the depreciation.

Ive had 2 A7 Bitdi's this year that cost me about £3k to run for 8 months, thats less than what the octavia is costing me. So as long as the deals keep coming from this dealer, ill keep chainging the car before the massive depreciation drop kicks in.

the neighbours think i either work for audi, or that I'm dealing drugs lol

Edited by Andrew@DTUK
  • Like 1

Getting back to the 3 channel kit..

We installed the kit yesterday afternoon and being totally honest with you all, i was left feeling underwhelmed. This was no surprise as I've tired the 3 channel system (using dte's software) on our Mini SD and again with that it didn't have the *smile factor* that the 2 channel kit has. We proceeded in importing the data from the 2 channel system into the 3, as they both use different programming software it was a case of reading the data from the 2 channel kit then manually creating the same curves within the 3 channel.

Ok, so with the original software both myself and the guys in the office were left underwhelmed so looking at this logically the software from the 2 channel should have the same effect once imported into the 3, after all we are just playing around with voltage signals at 2 sensors..

how wrong were we, within 3 car lengths the car came to an abrupt stop and the dashboard lit up like a Xmas tree. After clearing the codes with VAG-com we removed the kit and I've reverted back to the 2 channel kit.

IM not giving up on this system, but time was short yesterday and as some of you have realised I'm not the most patient of people as i want everything sorted yesterday.

As the 3 channel kit is more precise i think this is where using the dyno will help an awful lot, but I'm still a great believer that the bum dyno represents the best way to evaluate anything, because as good as the dyno is, it can never emulate real road driving.

Agree with the dyno not being essential (but bloody handy) It's about bum and datalogging for me.

Out of interest what were the faults showing in VCDS?

We have used VCDS in the past john, as for the fault codes after tying the 3 channel the list was pretty long and took a while to clear i just wanted them cleared asap, but in hindsight it would of been handy to take a freeze-frame of them all.

Hi Andrew,

I am reading your findings with much interest...

I am about to take receipt of my first company car and indeed my first Skoda, it is a Manual Candy White Combi and shall arrive this coming Friday (God Willing...)

I know every fibre in my body is going to want to push for more than the standard 184 hp, and this is also my first new Turbo Diesel, which I know offer extremely good gains.

BUT, this is a new company car, and whilst I know I am going to want to go for this mod, I am also extremely wary of being caught messing about with a brand new car (And more importantly one that belongs to a lease company). What would be your truthful unbiased opinion on this please...

Has anyone else on here done this or re-mapped there company car?...

Thanks

Steve

Hi Andrew,

I am about to take receipt of my first company car and indeed my first Skoda, it is a Manual Candy White Combi and shall arrive this coming Friday (God Willing...)

I know every fibre in my body is going to want to push for more than the standard 184 hp, and this is also my first new Turbo Diesel, which I know offer extremely good gains.

BUT, this is a new company car, and whilst I know I am going to want to go for this mod, I am also extremely wary of being caught messing about with a brand new car (And more importantly one that belongs to a lease company). What would be your truthful unbiased opinion on this please...

Thanks

Steve

Wouldn't you be better off asking your company where you stand, as opposed to the person who is trying to make a living by selling as many of his devices as he can?

I'm sure companies must have policies in place for this sort of situation

Let's say you write the car off...Pretty sure your company car insurance won't be paying out anytime soon if they discover you've modified your car.... And I'm guessing your job would follow shortly after they tell your company why they're not honouring the claim...

Edited by bouff34

Hi Andrew,

Thanks

Steve

I remapped my leased company car within a week of getting it. I am still driving the vehicle, which my company purchased from the lease company after the 3 year lease was up. During its warranty period, the car had a turbo and a DMF replaced with no issue from the main dealer.

You must decide is the risk worth taking but my take on it is, do as "NIKE" would do....................just do it!!

• Like 1

Hi Andrew,

I am about to take receipt of my first company car and indeed my first Skoda, it is a Manual Candy White Combi and shall arrive this coming Friday (God Willing...)

Thanks

Steve

Steve I'd always give you my personal opinion rather than that if a salesperson (take note BRIMMA)

Our car is leased and as I've previously mentioned I've tuned all if our current and previous cars without issue.

The problem you have is not so much the car, but if your employers were to find out you've done such a thing, as this could get you into trouble.

Personally my advice would be to sound them out, then give it some thought as to wether it's worth the risk, moreso if they have a fleet policy as this may not cover any kind if modifications.

• Like 2

This was the initial feedback from our DSG tester

Anyway, over to the car. Its pretty much been faultless (touch wood). The one word answer of WOW! still applies! There is so much more torque and "go" in the engine through the gears now that it truly transforms the car. On the plus side the acceleration when needed from 2000rpm upwards is vastly improved and quite controllable when regulating the throttle so it doesnt light the tyres up in third gear! There is a bigger surge of torque between 3000-4000rpm (which is lots of fun!), almost like a powerband which does carry on but drops slightly after that but I tend to change up at 4000rpm anyway as I dont like the way the DSG holds onto the gears until 4500rpm.

Ive done about 250 miles (A,B roads) since it was fitted on 4:1 last week and a lot has been wet driving so I have had to watch in 3rd and 4th as the tyres can get away from you a lot easier so its not just a case of "foot down" like it used to be in the manual 170 vrs as you didnt need to worry as much then. Ive also found it quite hard to test it fully as you're soon up to 80mph in 4th with the engine staying quiet as if its still doing 60mph. Gear changes seem fine and no different to how it sounds without the box.

Ive tested it in all modes and my favourite has to be the manual flappy paddle as it feels so much more in control and with the extra toque/bhp you can control the flow of power to the wheels and

The mpg has also improved as on a run that would have been 44-45mpg before is now 49mpg. Not sure if this is actual fuel efficiency or the box fooling the fuel calculator??

------------------------------------------------------

I've since sent revised files (just this week infact) and have just received this feedback...

initial feedback is that while 2:1 is very strong on torque and a lot better than standard it seems a little too much as its shooting away and wheelspinning with only a slight touch of the throttle. im going to try 2:0 and will let you know.

is the 226 map on there and whats closest to the old 4:1?

thanks

------------------------------------------------------

The beauty of the box is that it's adjustable abd I've turned my own down a touch as in the damp the car was struggling for traction if I used a heavy right foot, I'll continue to update this thread as and when I receive any more feedback :)