We've started having tinker with the 2.0TDI 184PS

I've had all the same on the old map but has been fine since the new files were loaded.

Andy told me to drive it for a while with just the fuel rail connected and the boost standard to confirm it was a problem with the boost settings on the map - don't understand why you've been told differently ?

Even the air leak code? He assured me that was nothing to do with their boxes and was my cars fault.

Might be because I spoke to someone other than Andrew. Unfortunately he was with a customer so I had to speak to someone else.

Yes mate.

Ultimately the box is fooling the car to give more fuel and air so if some sensors are saying they're seeing X amount of air but others are saying they're seeing Y the car will think there's a problem and throw up a code it thinks will correspond ?

I was ready to return my box a few times but glad I persevered as it's running well now (trying not to sound like a fan boy)

I was ready to return my box a few times but glad I persevered as it's running well now (trying not to sound like a fan boy)

Sounds like me a couple of months ago when I had the initial problems. When it's working it's incredible. I had 2,500 miles of driving bliss through the Swiss Alps, German Autobhans and a few other places in Europe in August...it transformed the car.

No. As soon as the box is removed the coil light stays off and car returns to normal.

The problems are only occuring when the box is connected.....which is why I don't understand their insistance on it being an air leak and nothing to do with them, especially after the post above stating they have told someone else something completely different based on the same problems and seemly fixed it by adjusting the maps.

Edited by JamesVRSmk3

Sounds black and white. Surely an air leak would be noticeable with the box disconnected or connected.

Hopefully Andrew will be along to explain and sort you out buddy.

The chap put it down to coincidence. Every time I plugged the box in it was just a coincidence the coil light triggered. I tried arguing but got nowhere.

I haven't got round to phoning them back again yet as I'm working away for a few days but I'll do it when I'm back. Andrew was great before.

Andrew is great until problems that they can't solve appear.

I have driven over 25 000 miles with this box and most of the time everything works ok. When outside temperature goes higher problems starts to appear. Throttle response is jerky and sometimes throttle starts to "pulsate". Andrew asked me to test different settings and I spend couple of days changing the settings and logging with VCDS. It seemed like the problems had something to do with the particulate filter regen process. No matter what the setting is, when the DPF regen process started, throttle response became jerky. It feels like nothing happens when you push the pedal. But when you push the pedal deep enough, dsg will change one or two gear downwards and car starts to go like all hell is breaking loose. Makes it really hard to drive the car in a civilized manner.

Then came Trevor and Andrew promised to change my box to that new one to test it out, as long as I don't mention it on the forum. Weeks passed but nothing happened. Asked again about the box change but no reply. Weeks passed again and the old box was working fine, because summer was over and air was colder. But then jerkyness occured again and I told it to Andrew. I asked also about the box change. Finally he replied, "send your box to us and we test it in our skoda." I'm not living in GB and most of the time box works just fine, so I'm not going to send it anywhere.

The chap put it down to coincidence. Every time I plugged the box in it was just a coincidence the coil light triggered. I tried arguing but got nowhere.

I haven't got round to phoning them back again yet as I'm working away for a few days but I'll do it when I'm back. Andrew was great before.

Hi James,

first of all apologies for not getting back to you myself, I've not been online or involved as much in the business recently as we have an addition to the family 5 months ago which has been anything but plain sailing. I wont digress into this very much as i don't want anyone to think that i am using my personal issues to sherk my responsibilities to my customers.

regarding your issues, we did find an issue with your first kit that was replaced with the updated system and was surprised to hear that you'd started having issues again with the replacement kit. We've now tuned over 700 of these new 2.0 150/184ps engines and what we have found is that these new engines are not without their issues. Im not saying that your issues are down to your car but there is a small chance there could be an underlying issue that the system is highlighting. Another thing we have noticed over the last 12 months is that there are some massive tolerance level differences in these engines. if you can remember me saying that i couldn't use anything other than plus 1 on my own VRS where as at the time you were running plus 3.

I wasn't privvy to the whole conversation you had with Tony but i would suggest that you try turning the box down first (again you may of already tried this) and seeing if that helps, if not then well take a look at the system for you.

First of all

Andrew is great until problems that they can't solve appear.

I have driven over 25 000 miles with this box and most of the time everything works ok. When outside temperature goes higher problems starts to appear. Throttle response is jerky and sometimes throttle starts to "pulsate". Andrew asked me to test different settings and I spend couple of days changing the settings and logging with VCDS. It seemed like the problems had something to do with the particulate filter regen process. No matter what the setting is, when the DPF regen process started, throttle response became jerky. It feels like nothing happens when you push the pedal. But when you push the pedal deep enough, dsg will change one or two gear downwards and car starts to go like all hell is breaking loose. Makes it really hard to drive the car in a civilized manner.

Then came Trevor and Andrew promised to change my box to that new one to test it out, as long as I don't mention it on the forum. Weeks passed but nothing happened. Asked again about the box change but no reply. Weeks passed again and the old box was working fine, because summer was over and air was colder. But then jerkyness occured again and I told it to Andrew. I asked also about the box change. Finally he replied, "send your box to us and we test it in our skoda." I'm not living in GB and most of the time box works just fine, so I'm not going to send it anywhere.

We cant solve the problem if youre not willing to send the kit back to us, its not that we cant solve the issue as i said above we've tuned 100's of these cars without issues. You've mentioned yourself that the issues only occur during a DPF regeneration, surely if this was a common fault everyone who we have sold s kit too would be saying the same thing? If your kit was failing 100% if the time then it would be an easy fix, but as with any intermittent issue then it does make our job or anyone else's very difficult.

I would like to take this chance to say yet again to everyone that if you over adjust the kit (get greedy) then you will and may see issues. Im sure i have said several times on this thread to various customers that they're running their kits on too high of a setting but have they listened to me? I'd say no.. Does this surprise me? No it doesn't, where all human and we all get greedy and this certainly is the case where tuning is concerned.

For everyones reference, we took our DSG Golf GTD to the dyno yesterday and ran map 1 plus 1 not plus 2 or plus 3 good old plus 1..

golf_gtd_dsg_zpsd8f85b40.jpg

239.5bhp and 510nm..

Now i know i am no different to anyone else on this forum and i would still be tempted to run plus 2 to see if i could have an even faster car,but by doing so i do need to realise that i may see an issue.. I could run it on map 1 zero and have 232hp and 499nm and probably have no issues whatsoever.. Will ii run the box on zero? will i hell as i want to have as much power as possible from my 181bhp Golf/Skoda...

If anyone has any questions then please email me direct on

andrew(@)diesel-performance.co.uk and ill try and get back asap, or give me a call direct on 01207 299538

• Like 1

To be honest, I've never considered tuning a car before and I'm not actively considering it now, but I have been following this forum with interest (I may one day be tempted :D). One thing I would want is a robust solution, and you seem to be suggesting that Map 1 + 0 gives a 50hp increment with zero risk, all other settings giving additional single figure hp increments with significant risk of engine management problems. The plus zero setting sounds perfect!

Has anybody run plus zero and been satisfied with it?

I so want to have a go in a vRS with the box... and I keep getting tempted to buy one, but as I spend most of the time driving around in eco (yes, I know... but I bought the car for its size and price, and went for the vRS because it looks nice!  And I'm an old fart, even if I won't admit it), I'm not sure I'd particularly get my money's worth out of it.

• Like 1

I'm extremely tempted to purchase Trevor (to clarify, this is the same as the CRD-T+ box, as per this link, right?), as my previous car (Fiat Grande Punto 1.9 MJet Sporting) was remapped by Angel Tuning and I loved it - transformed the car, superb acceleration throughout the rev range and an extra 8-10mpg on the economy. At first I thought it might be the reason for the gearbox bearings going (leading to trade-in for my vRS order), but by all accounts the M32 gearbox had a tendency to implode itself at 80-100,000 miles, regardless of stock vs tuned power/torque, anyway.

My family has a history of getting cars chipped or remapped over the years (three Subaru Impreza STIs, a SEAT Ibiza Cupra TDi, my Punto, and my old man's current Octavia MkII which has a Revo Stage 2 remap for approx 220bhp) and I would love to tune up my new vRS TDI Estate when it has arrived and been run in. I love the idea of Trevor vs a remap in the first 3 years, as it's easier to remove for warranty purposes.

One thing I want to check, though - is it strictly necessary to run the PedalBox as well as Trevor? Anyone here tried just Trevor and then switched to the PedalBox too - if so, is it worth the extra investment?

To be honest, I've never considered tuning a car before and I'm not actively considering it now, but I have been following this forum with interest (I may one day be tempted :D). One thing I would want is a robust solution, and you seem to be suggesting that Map 1 + 0 gives a 50hp increment with zero risk, all other settings giving additional single figure hp increments with significant risk of engine management problems. The plus zero setting sounds perfect!

Has anybody run plus zero and been satisfied with it?

with any form of tuning there is going to be a small % of issues, the benefits of having an adjustable system is that the box can be tailored to fit the majority of cars, the downside sometimes is that human nature take ahold and greed sets in, and bang - issues.

Taken from the 170 TDI thread, again this is where I've mentioned over adjusting the box ...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/273668-buying-a-crd-t-tuning-box-from-dtuk/?hl=+crd#8208t=&page=15

After an extended period of time (well over 1000 miles) of running my box on Map 1+3, I've hit a blip.

I went out one morning and upon starting, I was greeted with a flashing glow plug light. So, bonnet up, tuning box out and the blanking plug was fitted in it's place. I started it up again and warning light was gone.

Upon a VCDS scan i found three faults logged...

000257 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)

P0101 - 000 - Implausible Signal

005522 - Altitude Sensor / Boost Pressure Sensor

P1592 - 000 - Implausible Correlation - Intermittent

000403 - Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247)

P0193 - 000 - Short to Plus - Intermittent

I've now cleared the faults and reset the box back to map 2+1 for now. A shame, as so far, 1+3 was my favourite map.

As previously mentioned in the thread, I guess the moral of the story is steer clear of +3 map settings, kids! The engine will sooner or later take a dump. :wait:

As Andrew states there's always a temptation to play with the settings for more power. I have managed to run 3 +2 and 2 +3 without any issues but I am now running 2 +1 which is very nice and still transforms the car from stock.

As Andrew states there's always a temptation to play with the settings for more power. I have managed to run 3 +2 and 2 +3 without any issues but I am now running 2 +1 which is very nice and still transforms the car from stock.

Hi i am running trevor on 3 +1 do you find 2 +1 better Thanks

Hi i am running trevor on 3 +1 do you find 2 +1 better Thanks

For me yes. I think it is stated somewhere that 3 +1 gave the best dyno figures but on the road 2 +1 actually feels better to drive.

Give it a try and see what you think, that is the beauty of these boxes!!

I've been reading this thread for a year and I've had a dtuk box for 6 months. I've got no axe to grind so I thought I'd give am independant review in response to some of the issues raised.

I'm actually a bit confused about Trevor and not too sure whether I've got it or not. I bought mine in June and got the slightly more expensive of the two although it wasn't labeled Trevor.

The box has been great and delivers more power, there's no doubt about It. It's very noticeable. Originally I was on map 4 but for about 3 months have had it on 4.1.

I am sad enough to calculate my mpg on paper and pleasingly, the box only has a very small impact on fuel consumption whether I drive it hard or not. Certainly I don't think that dtuk should advertise it as improving mpg though, because it doesn't, even when I deliberately drive like my dad.

There has been a small issue with the box since it was new. A single, small power drop of a split second is noticeable on occasion, usually when accelerating up a hill. Luckily, this has never actually caused a problem to need to bother dtuk about, but I do believe it may be the same as the 'pulsating' problem which others sometimes mention so it would be good if dtuk would comment on this. Happily, I don't think it ever happens when you're driving hard. It also did it before I switched to 4.1, so that can't be blamed.

Overall, they're great value for what you get and for my money much more attractive than tuning. If the worst happens and there's a problem you can just remove it. But my car's been fine with it in. I'd recommend them.

I've been reading this thread for a year and I've had a dtuk box for 6 months. I've got no axe to grind so I thought I'd give am independant review in response to some of the issues raised.

I'm actually a bit confused about Trevor and not too sure whether I've got it or not. I bought mine in June and got the slightly more expensive of the two although it wasn't labeled Trevor.

The box has been great and delivers more power, there's no doubt about It. It's very noticeable. Originally I was on map 4 but for about 3 months have had it on 4.1.

I am sad enough to calculate my mpg on paper and pleasingly, the box only has a very small impact on fuel consumption whether I drive it hard or not. Certainly I don't think that dtuk should advertise it as improving mpg though, because it doesn't, even when I deliberately drive like my dad.

There has been a small issue with the box since it was new. A single, small power drop of a split second is noticeable on occasion, usually when accelerating up a hill. Luckily, this has never actually caused a problem to need to bother dtuk about, but I do believe it may be the same as the 'pulsating' problem which others sometimes mention so it would be good if dtuk would comment on this. Happily, I don't think it ever happens when you're driving hard. It also did it before I switched to 4.1, so that can't be blamed.

Overall, they're great value for what you get and for my money much more attractive than tuning. If the worst happens and there's a problem you can just remove it. But my car's been fine with it in. I'd recommend them.