Mine is one of the very first off of the production line, a dealer demo for the launch weekend, and doesn't suffer from the problems. It briefly did, but only after the idiots at Simpsons adjusted the hatch to try and stop it opening the fuel filler flap due to air pressure every time you closed it. I just readjusted it back myself.

I think it is very hit and miss, and all seems to be about how tight the hatch lid is when it is closed.

I am wondering if some of the tailgates have been pressed poorly and do not conform perfectly to the shape of the aperture. As stated mine seems ok, but I have noticed that the stoppers at the sides are set to the very top of their travel, leaving no further room for adjustment.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been looking around to get a new car soon. Currently driving passat 06. Went to local VW/Skoda dealer to test drive new skoda. Since they didn't have any in at that moment, they did offer me to drive new Scout. Loved it. But one thing what i noticed was a banging sound from rear axel. When driving on a bumpy road or in the city over the pothole covers the rear axel made alot of noise. I didn't notice any boom sound tho, or i just didnt listle closelyi suppose ? Car had 2.0 diesel and 4 wheel drive ofc and 7 speed DSG. Really like octy but members here who ordered car recently. Does the car have still the booming sound ? 

Question is, has anyone bought a new build that does have the same fault? Mine is a 13 plate and I don't have those symptoms either. I am just trying to work out if a new one of these cars is a safe buy, as mine may be rejected in the coming weeks as has been discussed in another thread. Personally my gut feeling is to steer clear and get something completely different. It's a shame, they would be a great car if they weren't so problematic. 

Mines 2 months old 14 plate and has the boom,.pressure - only over ridge type surfaces at slowish speeds.

Doesn't put me off the car but would be nice if they come up with a fix for this.

I have the same booming sound in the cabin and I think the air temperature may have an affect on the intensity of it. I bought the car in June, so have only driven it when it has been relatively warm. However, its effects lately seem to be reducing with a reduction in temperature. It's still there and is triggered the most when driving over road surfaces like shell grip (anti-skid) at a min of about 25 mph.

Edited by New8avia

I have the same booming sound in the cabin and I think the air temperature may have an affect on the intensity of it. I bought the car in June, so have only driven it when it has been relatively warm. However, its effects lately seem to be reducing with a reduction in temperature. It's still there and is triggered the most when driving over road surfaces like shell grip (anti-skid) at a min of about 25 mph.

Have you tried the Velcro temporary solution mentioned earlier in this topic. I have tried adjusting the bump stop on the rear door, which only serves to raise the door

so that it isn't flush with the sides. I have found by increasing the amount of strips of velcro on the bump stop seating face I can in most circumstances eliminate the low frequency resonance.

I think the prototype spring loaded bumpstop is probably as close to a solution that Skoda will get to without redesign of the metalwork.

I think the Velcro works as it compresses and springs back when you shut the door.

Lets hope the revised bumpstop becomes a proper part soon.

I have not gone to the dealer as I know what a faf that can be. They will try everything under the sun - its just hassle

• Like 1

Took delivery of my VRS TFSI estate 3 weeks ago and I have noticed not so much a booming noise, but a thrumming resonance from the rear of the car. It appears to be suspension related as the noise went when I had 3 kids in the back and stuff in the boot. It also varies according to the quality of the tarmac. On the smooth "silent" tarmac, it goes completely. Mentioned it to my dealer and sure enough, no one else has reported this as an issue.

I had the use of a 14 plate diesel VRS hatch for 5 weeks before mine arrived and that didn't have this noise or the booming noise. The only other difference was the tyre make, the diesel had Bridgestone Potenzas whereas mine has Conti Sport 2s. 

Any thoughts ?

My '64 plate diesel VRS estate is on Potenzas and it's also got a noticeable thump/boom over rougher surfaces. Been messing with bumpstops on bootlid, packing them out to remove play/movement of boot. Reduced the noise I think but defo not cured it.

I have the same problem in my 1.4 tsi hatch. It was terrible when i first had my car. It made my ears ring and i had to relieve pressure from my ears constantly. I played with the bump stoppers on hatch door. Interestingly, that relieved the booming on my left ear! My right ear was still painful. I found out that the right side bump stopper needed different adjustment over the left one. When i put them on same position the load was biased to one side and made other side resonate. After many experiments i adjusted my right side stopper 5 mm outward to the left one. That brought down the booming noise to acceptable level. i.e from 100 % to 20 %. And also the optimum position of the stoppers for my car is 1/4 turn from the lowest position. If i go above or below 1/4 turn either side the booming gets insane. I am going to try Velcros at the base as the other poster suggested. Will let you know how it goes :) 

My '64 plate diesel VRS estate is on Potenzas and it's also got a noticeable thump/boom over rougher surfaces. Been messing with bumpstops on bootlid, packing them out to remove play/movement of boot. Reduced the noise I think but defo not cured it.

My '64 plate disel vRS estate is on Potenzas... and I have no issues with thumping/booming noises whatsoever.  I have the electric trunk though... pretty sure it's been mentioned earlier in this thread that it makes a difference.

I reported this issue way back just after I got my car in October 2013. The booming noise was investigated by my local dealer last year but they couldn't find anything at the time. The noise has been intermittent since then. Recently, the noise has been getting worse. I had my first service today ( a 10,000 mile oil change) and I reported this issue to the dealer for them to investigate again. This time they did notice an issue and said that Skoda had reported that there is a "recall" on the rear shock absorbers of some Octavias and that I would need to book the car in again to get them replaced under warranty. I have booked the car in on the 10th November. I will update this post after this date to let you know if this has sorted the issue. Hope this helps others that are experiencing this issue. Point being, report it to your dealer and mention a "recall" that Skoda have put out which I was not informed off until the visit to the dealer today. Cheers!

Hi Doug, did they advise which models and build weeks are affected by the recall?

No they didn't. They just mentioned that Skoda were aware of the issue and that they authorised the dealer to replace a new set of rear shocks. I think my car was built sometime in August 2013.

• Like 1

No they didn't. They just mentioned that Skoda were aware of the issue and that they authorised the dealer to replace a new set of rear shocks. I think my car was built sometime in August 2013.

Ok cheers, I'll ask dealer about mine as it was built before yours in late April 2013.

Spotted in the 22nd October 2014 Autocar:

"Early versions of the new Octavia, which suffered from a poor ride and noise intrusion from the rear axle, triggered engineering updates now in production." And about time too many of us would say. Have to admit I've been fortunate in not being a sufferer from either issue, but bad news for those who have and who have been fobbed off.

In the Rapid section we have the same problem. One of the owners has had his car in a dealer who has rectified this problem.

Apparently it's to do with the adjustment of the tailgate buffers that allows the tailgate to shut more firmly thus stopping the booming effect. He has stated it has worked for him.

I hope this is of some help to you all here [emoji106]

Mine so far doesn't have this problem [emoji16]

• 2 weeks later...

I reported this issue way back just after I got my car in October 2013. The booming noise was investigated by my local dealer last year but they couldn't find anything at the time. The noise has been intermittent since then. Recently, the noise has been getting worse. I had my first service today ( a 10,000 mile oil change) and I reported this issue to the dealer for them to investigate again. This time they did notice an issue and said that Skoda had reported that there is a "recall" on the rear shock absorbers of some Octavias and that I would need to book the car in again to get them replaced under warranty. I have booked the car in on the 10th November. I will update this post after this date to let you know if this has sorted the issue. Hope this helps others that are experiencing this issue. Point being, report it to your dealer and mention a "recall" that Skoda have put out which I was not informed off until the visit to the dealer today. Cheers!

I got the new rear shock done on Monday. I haven't driven much since then but the times I have been in the car it does seem to be a lot better. I won't say it has fixed the issue yet though. Time will tell.

Thanks for feeding this back Skoda_Doug.

I had the boot seal replaced on my hatch a couple of months ago & although it initially did make a difference, the "booming" soon returned :-(

It's booked in for three days at the end of the month for more investigation, hopefully the recall covers my vehicle but my dealer was unaware of any recalls so I don't hold out much hope.

Cheers, Paul

Get the buffers guys, they work. I've had mine in for months now so as an OE part it can't be far away.

Gave feed back back to Skoda NZ as a positive solution so something must be happening worldwide by now.......