Picked up my Car today in Dartford.

Driven to Central London, then to Cardiff and can't say i've noticed any kind of booming noise (thank god) after driving on varying road surfaces.

Only noises i've noticed were the typical rumbling's you can get on bad road surfaces, but nothing worse than i've experienced in any other car.

Driving back to London tomorrow so will see if i notice anything but so far so quiet for me.

I've definitely got it on mine which I picked up last week. Seems worse at some times compared to others but haven't worked out the pattern yet. Does it with a full car (5 people) or just me though.

Hi James & Tony 

Can you tell me What Tyres you have on your cars ?  I have Continentals on mine. and my cabin boom' is terrible. My dealer seems to think it might be tyres but I'm not so sure.

Tonight i had a good look at things and I'm  thinking it might have something to to with the Plastic/ material thats on the inside of the boot lid. mine seems loose in places and I'm wondering if that might  be causing the sound.    

Edited by JsymVrs

spoke to my local dealer today or shall i say i was fobbed off by my local dealer today ! they say my car is mechanically sound and the problem in their eyes is tyres They want me to go there and test drive the bosses VRS which is just like mine bar the tyres if they change my tyres  and the noise is still present then its just the noise of the car ......  REALLY MR SERVICE MANAGER ?????????? 

i feel a name and shame coming on  !

Edited by JsymVrs

Speaking to a friend tonight with a 1.6 tdi elegance hatch, Skoda have finally admitted to him that his car has a low frequency boom problem (3rd visit to the garage!).

They are telling him that it’s due to high 'cabin pressure' and have ordered a ‘baffle kit’ for the rear hatch.

Thankfully my mk3 estate is ok, however as the lease finishes early next year was planning  a vrs estate as the next car, however, would be very unhappy if this problem is not sorted for the 2015 model.

Indeed probably not take the chance and go elsewhere which would be a real shame as I love the car with the blend of great performance and fuel consumption (45 – 55) from the 2.0 tdi engine.

I'll be seeing my friend next week and will  report back after the baffle kit has been fitted

Edited by Robank

Hi Robank. Thats good news that there appears to be a fix for this problem. It also shows that Skoda must be aware of the it if they have a "baffle kit" to sort it. Can you advise what the kit actually is as my vrs suffers badly from this but have had no joy with the dealer or SUK. Will also be interesting to hear if it cures the problem.

Interesting, If your friend has this "baffle kit" fitted, it would be beneficial for the thread if you could provide any information as to what it is, were its fitted and any part numbers ;)

I would guess the issue is on all O3's, just some people are less sensitive to it.

I notice it a little on mine, it feels to me like an air pressure change rather than a noise, so I agree with the above "cabin pressure" explanation. It also ties in with andyvee's post about noticing it after the dealer fixed an issue with fuel flap opening due to pressure when boot shut.

In the scheme of things I am very happy with my car, and don't find it a major issue, but a fix would make me even happier :)

From what we are all saying here there seems to be varying degrees of severity over this between us all. Likewise it will be very interesting to see if this baffle kit has any affect on the noise.

Hopefully this is a solution. I wondered if it was the rear vent rubber flaps/covers that are usually hidden behind the bumpers in new cars not opening properly under certain conditions?

Even so if its equalising pressure, or letting the air coming in from the vents flow through properly rather than pressurising the cabin instead, opening the window a bit should fix it too temporarily?

Picked up my 1.4 TSI HB yesterday. Doesn't seem to have the boom, which I experienced in a couple of diesels I had test drives in, but it does seem to have rather firm suspension and and a slight vibration on anything other than a newly surfaced road. It's like the tyres have too much air in. It's slightly spoiling what is otherwise a very nice car, so I'm hoping it will settle down.

Picked up my 1.4 TSI HB yesterday. Doesn't seem to have the boom, which I experienced in a couple of diesels I had test drives in, but it does seem to have rather firm suspension and and a slight vibration on anything other than a newly surfaced road. It's like the tyres have too much air in. It's slightly spoiling what is otherwise a very nice car, so I'm hoping it will settle down.

Do the tyres have too much air in?

Been reading this thread with interest and some trepdation as I picked my vRS hatch up last Saturday. 

I can say there's no low pressure noise I can tell from mine.

Had my partner and parents in the car and nothing to report from them either.

The tail gate does need a decent amount of force to close it properly.

I have the spare wheel.

Build week was 13.

Cheers

Edited by Zzap

Obviously check the tyres, if you havent already, but id hazard a guess that the tyres are fine, like mine were.

The Octavia does have stiff suspension (surprised it hasnt been mentioned more times on here). I was shocked when I first picked up the vehicle, as it was awful. Rough roads were awful, and at one point experienced a massive jolt right through the vehicle when going over a fairly normal stretch of motorway at speed. Thankfully it does get better as the suspension loosens up, and after 1500 miles, the suspension is adequate. Not brilliant, but adequate. 

Im afraid you are likely going to have to live with it until the suspension loosens up.

If it is cabin pressures, then it would point to issues with the flap vents located behind the bumper.

Either not being big enough, fitted the wrong way round, or for some reason not opening fully or at all.

Not sure how accessible they are on the mk3 with taking the bumper off.

If it is cabin pressures, then it would point to issues with the flap vents located behind the bumper.

Either not being big enough, fitted the wrong way round, or for some reason not opening fully or at all.

Not sure how accessible they are on the mk3 with taking the bumper off.

On mine they were bolcked or stuck apparently - hence why if you shut the boot firmly the fuel flap popped open as it was the only place the air pressure could escape!

Dealer fiddled with them and not noticed the 'boom' anymore.

Obviously check the tyres, if you havent already, but id hazard a guess that the tyres are fine, like mine were.

The Octavia does have stiff suspension (surprised it hasnt been mentioned more times on here). I was shocked when I first picked up the vehicle, as it was awful. Rough roads were awful, and at one point experienced a massive jolt right through the vehicle when going over a fairly normal stretch of motorway at speed. Thankfully it does get better as the suspension loosens up, and after 1500 miles, the suspension is adequate. Not brilliant, but adequate. 

Im afraid you are likely going to have to live with it until the suspension loosens up.

I don't have the boom, but have just checked my tyre pressures, and all four tyres were at 42psi

On mine they were bolcked or stuck apparently - hence why if you shut the boot firmly the fuel flap popped open as it was the only place the air pressure could escape!

Dealer fiddled with them and not noticed the 'boom' anymore.

So you never had the noise, but did after dealer fixed your fuel flap issue, it went back again and they have now sorted both ?

Do you know were the flaps are/how to get to them ?

Nope - never had the 'boom', dealer fiddled with the flaps and that cured the fuel flap issue, but for a few days I had the boom. Now the boom has disappeared, the fuel flap is still OK and nothing has been touched as far as I am aware, but it has been back in the dealers, so they may have done something.

Don't know where the flaps/vents are, other than behind the bumper somewhere.

I too had the boom and the very stiff suspension.

The boom seems to have diminished after nearly 2000 miles and suspension has loosened up to a point where it is no longer a big issue. However I did drive a Focus last week and the ride was far better than the Octy but I still couldn't wait to get back to the SKODA as the interior of the Focus is awful and the infotainment system looks so old fashioned on the Ford.