Guide : How to remove EGR valve and how to fit the group buy EGR delete pipe

Dann2707

Just cleaned mine on a BLT engine.  First thing was I didn't know how to unplug the ASV connector...you have to unclip  a piece of black plastic with a small blade and it pulls out nicely. then you take it apart bit by bit. I have small ish hands, but the space is really an issue, I've tried all sorts of different angles to undo those hidden bolts.  Here are some pics:

3B45C20A-E8D9-4856-9B82-5AAFAA531472_zps

D601A294-7487-4896-B39E-9FC2BD520873_zps

829B993F-F92F-407A-9014-480C32BEC525_zps

C93EBA2F-468D-4CF8-8AEF-79E2F17F0653_zps

918850C4-42F6-43CC-93DE-E79FC4DEF669_zps

3C5386CB-71C3-4251-BCF4-8CDC5A307A61_zps

F5A913D2-9435-4A60-BDCC-4532AF58E2FB_zps

still need to fit the revised gasket...any pictures of the exh. manifold side being off please? and how to get there with the least fuss?

Cheers

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The egr delete shows a engine fault light on dash due to the anti shudder valve pipe being removed from the back of the egr unit however if you remove the plastic valve from the egr casing and replace the pipe you don't get an engine fault. Just cable tie the plastic valve somewere safe and all is well no faults. Just done mine now and used a cheap ebay vag reader to clear the engine fault and now I get no fault although the egr has been deleted.

EASY...

JACKOCARP

The egr delete shows a engine fault light on dash due to the anti shudder valve pipe being removed from the back of the egr unit however if you remove the plastic valve from the egr casing and replace the pipe you don't get an engine fault. Just cable tie the plastic valve somewere safe and all is well no faults. Just done mine now and used a cheap ebay vag reader to clear the engine fault and now I get no fault although the egr has been deleted.

EASY...

JACKOCARP

You'd get the same result if you just blocked the end of that vac pipe then, wouldn't you? The ECU has no way of knowing whether there's an anti-shudder valve on the end of the pipe if the valve itself is no longer having any effect on the engine?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks OP for this useful thread. I wondered if I could have some advice? I need to unstick my VNT turbo vanes on my 07 BXE engined 1.9 TDI Leon. Looking at this thread, the engine looks near identical to the layout of the equivalent Skodas, hence my asking on here.

I've been re-reading about the 'Mr Muscle' method of cleaning up the turbo vanes, and had success with it when I owned an older Audi TDI a few years back. Obviously the EGR position on the Skoda/Vw/Seat engines are different to the Audi layout, so the original guide here http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/un-sticking-your-tdi-vnt-turbo-vanes.107121/ isn't much use right now.

I need to remove one of the EGR pipes in order to feed a silicon pipe down to turbo itself.

Am I right in thinking that if I remove the EGR itself, that the smaller pipe below in this photo is the one which I can feed the pipe straight into?

20141005_182809.jpg

Any advice appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Edited by wafers

• 3 weeks later...

So i have the error code of 19586 on my mk1 pd130 vrs 1.9, would blanking off the egr get rid of this problem? And also would it pass the MOT emissions test?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Can I ask a question.

Is blanking and deleting the EGR the same thing? 

I'm reading conflicting info on this. I suffer from a very hesitant, stuttering VRS PD130 mainly around 1800rpm and it's making the car feel very sluggish and lethargic.

Based on this thread and from info I've read it's best just to clean the EGR rather than getting another. Can anyone please clarify the best way forward on this as it's very confusing?

All I want is a continuous, smooth throttle and accelaration throughout the rev range. Not after any increase in power as the car is standard and not modified, not remapped or anything.

So clean the EGR, keep it on - or get a delete pipe?

Can I ask a question.

Is blanking and deleting the EGR the same thing? 

I'm reading conflicting info on this. I suffer from a very hesitant, stuttering VRS PD130 mainly around 1800rpm and it's making the car feel very sluggish and lethargic.

Based on this thread and from info I've read it's best just to clean the EGR rather than getting another. Can anyone please clarify the best way forward on this as it's very confusing?

All I want is a continuous, smooth throttle and accelaration throughout the rev range. Not after any increase in power as the car is standard and not modified, not remapped or anything.

So clean the EGR, keep it on - or get a delete pipe?

If you fit a delete you will get an EML on and a remap is the on thing that will get rid of it. So if you're not remapping I would remove and clean. It's not a difficult job, even with massive hands like I have.

• Like 1

If you fit a delete you will get an EML on and a remap is the on thing that will get rid of it. So if you're not remapping I would remove and clean. It's not a difficult job, even with massive hands like I have.

Thanks buddy for this, aiming to get it in for a clean soon.

Does it pull better now that it's been done, has the flat spot gone?

Thanks buddy for this, aiming to get it in for a clean soon.

Does it pull better now that it's been done, has the flat spot gone?

TBH I when I deleted the EGR I also installed the front mount 'cooler, uprated turbo and 3" straight through exhaust, so the car felt worlds apart from how it felt before install (standard performance). As the performance at this point had changed so much everything else was irrelevant!

TBH I when I deleted the EGR I also installed the front mount 'cooler, uprated turbo and 3" straight through exhaust, so the car felt worlds apart from how it felt before install (standard performance). As the performance at this point had changed so much everything else was irrelevant!

Ha ha I bet it did!

Having come from a petrol a 3" system makes a massive difference but I don't agree with them on a diesel as they make diesels sound terrible.

Can you do a 3" system on the diesel whilst maintaining a standard exhaust note and sound?

Re the EGR, the flat spot is really annoying me so I'm going to get it booked in soon for an oil and filter change and will get the EGR cleaned at the same time.

Ha ha I bet it did!

...... I don't agree with them on a diesel as they make diesels sound terrible.

IMHO that depends on the turbo setup ;)

Can you do a 3" system on the diesel whilst maintaining a standard exhaust note and sound?

I honestly don't know.

Re the EGR, the flat spot is really annoying me so I'm going to get it booked in soon for an oil and filter change and will get the EGR cleaned at the same time.

I think this is your only course of action if you're not considering a remap. Save yourself a bit of dollar and clean the EGR yourself. It's not overly difficult, even if it's the first job you've ever done on a car :)

Edited by jars
  • Like 1

I think this is your only course of action if you're not considering a remap. Save yourself a bit of dollar and clean the EGR yourself. It's not overly difficult, even if it's the first job you've ever done on a car :)

Cheers buddy, I will get the garage to do as I'm clueless when it comes to cars ha ha!

• 6 months later...

I'm experiencing quite bad shudder when switching off the engine after fitting the darkside delete kit. I understand I've lost my anti shudder valve by fitting the EGR delete as I have the ASZ. I've read though the comments and haven't seen anyone mention about the shudder, I'm not sure if it's anything to worry about or not? Have I fitted the delete kit wrong somehow? Or is this normal? 

36 minutes ago, Avante said:

I'm experiencing quite bad shudder when switching off the engine after fitting the darkside delete kit. I understand I've lost my anti shudder valve by fitting the EGR delete as I have the ASZ. I've read though the comments and haven't seen anyone mention about the shudder, I'm not sure if it's anything to worry about or not? Have I fitted the delete kit wrong somehow? Or is this normal? 

If you remove the anti-shudder valve then the engine will shudder when you turn it off. The only thing you've done wrong is to delete the EGR and the ASV rather than repair them (if they were faulty).

13 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

If you remove the anti-shudder valve then the engine will shudder when you turn it off. The only thing you've done wrong is to delete the EGR and the ASV rather than repair them (if they were faulty).

Alright, I've gone broken the clip off from the pipe that connects to the EGR at the top and tied it to the delete using jubilee clips. Is there a way I could replace my cleaned EGR and not have to buy another pipe just for the sake of holding it in with the standard clips? Or what's the best way to go about this? (I am considering a remap if this helps or changes my options?). Thanks for the response. I'll definitely be replacing the ASV but I may leave the EGR blanked out still? Just to solve the shudder.

I will throw up an eml, but won't put it into limp mode. If yours is doing that you have another problem I would suggest. 

You will notice the engine bay will be hotter than before and  possibly a drop in fuel consumption. 

ive got the delete kit but aint got round to doing it yet as ive been told by many tuning companys the only was to fit that kit properly is to have it remapped at the same time which is annoying as my car is already running a stage 1 map. the reason i wanted to do it is because ive been told you get more mpg so im now wounding whats the point:sadsmile: