Remapping advice Fabia vrs mk1

LD1991VRS

I think it all depends on what your driving style is and how much money you want to spend, whether you want the re-map for economy or power and if it's going to be for clutch friendly power or not.

I would go for a large air intake pipe, the PD 160 type, then, a flat panel filter at the very least, after that personally, I would be looking at up grading the brakes. A full set of 312 mm discs, pads, and calipers with carriers on the front. Then again depending on how clutch friendly your re-map and driving style are I would think about a SMF and clutch upgrade, what you fit also depends on what you intend to do after too. 

Try and envisage the bigger picture of what you want for the car and build towards that. Have a look at some of the ongoing projects on this site for idea's as not everyone wants the same thing.

Hope this helps, good luck, have fun.

You don't need to do any mods to support one - they do nothing for performance. Make sure the car is serviced and running good beforehand.

You may need to replace clutch but get it limited to 300 lb ft which it can usually take without slipping.

Brakes is good shout though I find decent serviced brakes and pads are good.

SMF clutches are prone to creating more noise than the DMF - so thats worth considering as well.

More power requires more stopping power so the brake upgrade is a must really 

More power will lead you to push harder so fit a RARB to improve handling.

You don't need to do any mods to support one - they do nothing for performance. Make sure the car is serviced and running good beforehand.

You may need to replace clutch but get it limited to 300 lb ft which it can usually take without slipping.

Brakes is good shout though I find decent serviced brakes and pads are good.

Have to agree and that's all thats needed

Cambelt, water pump and tensioner it not recently done.

Decent tyres (after all there's only 4 small contact patches separating this world from the next...)

Discs and pads (either new OE or up rated discs and pads)

I'd also look at the suspension bushes (SWMBO had powerflex on her previous vRS and the difference was night and day)

In other words, all the things that make you stop and handle better before going faster.

• Like 1

All i considered was can i afford it.

Just a plug in map you do not need 312 brakes, a pd160 will not matter if fitted after as its not a custom map but if you are going custom then fit before if you want to waste £70.

Service isn't a bad shout though but not 100% necessary.

• Like 1

id check the cambelt and tensioners were healthy, then go for 312mm front brakes and decent tyres. Its no good re mapping if you cant stop or stay on the black stuff.

Standard filters are good for 200bhp so save your money on the filter if your only going for a stage 1 map

Edited by jays

If the cars mechanically sound then nothing.

If something not working correctly or is due replacing then replace it.

Main advice is to check the turbo is boosting as it should. So using VCDS log group 11 and do a 3 rd gear wide open throttle from 1500 rpm to the redline. Then look at the saved file and compare actual vs requested boost over rpm.

312's are not needed at all for a remap good god, the standard brakes are more than adequate to handle the extra power from a remap, people just follow others too much on this forum. A good set of discs and pads would be twice as good as the 312 setup anyways but like I say, you don't need them. A good set of tyres is needed or the front wheels will just spin and go nowhere.

• Like 2

312's are not needed at all for a remap good god, the standard brakes are more than adequate to handle the extra power from a remap, people just follow others too much on this forum. A good set of discs and pads would be twice as good as the 312 setup anyways but like I say, you don't need them. A good set of tyres is needed or the front wheels will just spin and go nowhere.

My friends 312's are FAR superior to my standard 288's. Both have pagid pads and disks.

Of course you don't 'need' them. But for the cost I think its a bit of a no brainer. If I'm upping the power of my car by 20% I want the brakes to be similarly matched.

As always it's a case of each to their own.

i always found going with bigger brake discs gave less heat build up and improved braking. What disc and pads will be twice as good and what is the cost?

some good quality oem or brembo discs coupled with the Likes of Ferodo DS2500 pads or mintex M1144 pads, unsure on the price but I bet it could be done for less than upgrading to the 312mm setup and they will be better.
  • Like 1

My friends 312's are FAR superior to my standard 288's. Both have pagid pads and disks.

Of course you don't 'need' them. But for the cost I think its a bit of a no brainer. If I'm upping the power of my car by 20% I want the brakes to be similarly matched.

As always it's a case of each to their own.

Skoda don't just put a set of brakes on a car to just to say slow it down with the standard power do they, that wouldn't be very safe lol. In my experience of two trackdays on the standard brakes and standard oem discs and pads, not once have they faded or let me down, therefore I see no need to pay money where it isn't needed on upgrading them.

Like you say each to their own thow :)

• Like 1

As mentioned already mintex or pagid are great setups for a remap my fabia is remapped quite aggressively, I've had 2 gearbox rebuilds in 4 years of owning it one due to the dmf failing but the clutch has been replaced with a sports clutch, my car currently is sitting in unit 18 having a hybrid turbo fitted and egr delete done and I'll get a front mount intercooler and remap it again should achieve just over 200bhp will keep it on sports clutch I'll just get the torque limited to protect the clutch, you don't need any supporting mods for a remap except for decent pads I didn't and it ran happily apart from the gearbox for 4 years until turbo popped.

some good quality oem or brembo discs coupled with the Likes of Ferodo DS2500 pads or mintex M1144 pads, unsure on the price but I bet it could be done for less than upgrading to the 312mm setup and they will be better.

Pads alone will be £100-£150 wont they?

This seems like silly logic to me, there is no need to upgrade the brakes along with the map unless they are already on their way out.. you should not be driving 20% faster or braking 20% later so they aren't needed straight away. I have a 312mm set to go on as my standard disks and pads are beginning to wear down, that's 12,000 miles after mapping and I've lived to tell the tail.. by all means it's a good upgrade but not a necessity.

the PD160 intake is another waste of money IMHO, running the car on a dyno without an air filter at all shows a negligible increase in power (less than the dyno can measure) compared to with the filter, box and standard intake. if you do wish to upgrade, you can make you own cold air feed for a fraction of the price of a PD160 with some plastic pipe etc.. the Jabbasport cone in a box sounds nice too and keeps things looking tidy under the bonnet.. but yet again offers little performance gain from what i've noticed..

A point everyone has overlooked is.....the driver.

Depending on what you want to do with the car, instruction from someone who is suitably qualified is probably the best thing to do; for instance, my friend offers instruction / guidance on track days, and it's amazing how even the 'best' track day warrior learns valuable tips.

Of course, the human interface is the least important aspect for some people on HM Highways; and that's where I used to step in......

A point everyone has overlooked is.....the driver.

Depending on what you want to do with the car, instruction from someone who is suitably qualified is probably the best thing to do; for instance, my friend offers instruction / guidance on track days, and it's amazing how even the 'best' track day warrior learns valuable tips.

Of course, the human interface is the least important aspect for some people on HM Highways; and that's where I used to step in......

why do you always seem to speak in riddles? :S lol simple English would be fine

This seems like silly logic to me, there is no need to upgrade the brakes along with the map unless they are already on their way out.. you should not be driving 20% faster or braking 20% later so they aren't needed straight away. I have a 312mm set to go on as my standard disks and pads are beginning to wear down, that's 12,000 miles after mapping and I've lived to tell the tail.. by all means it's a good upgrade but not a necessity.

the PD160 intake is another waste of money IMHO, running the car on a dyno without an air filter at all shows a negligible increase in power (less than the dyno can measure) compared to with the filter, box and standard intake. if you do wish to upgrade, you can make you own cold air feed for a fraction of the price of a PD160 with some plastic pipe etc.. the Jabbasport cone in a box sounds nice too and keeps things looking tidy under the bonnet.. but yet again offers little performance gain from what i've noticed..

There's never a 'need' to do any modification. The standard car will get you where you want to go just fine won't it.. I really don't want a petty forum argument but you had a remap to go no quicker? I don't think your quite telling the truth are you.

The op asked for things to consider. I gave him one. I presumed it was common sense that if you've just had new disks and pads or they have loads of life left you aren't going to bin them :)

Couldn't agree more about the pd160 stuff. Never seen the point myself.