Heated Windscreen glare at night..

The heated screen in our Yeti does my head in, I can constantly see them and at night they effect my vision.

I wear glasses and my prescription is correct.

Andy

Going by your profile pic, I'd suggest you have a bigger issue affecting your vision.   :giggle:

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Is anyone else having issues with blurred vision/glare at night caused by the heated windscreen?

YEP!!! just got a Skoda Octavia (nice car) BUT BOY do you notice the glare off the elements from headlights from oncoming cars. So annoying that i searched and found myself here.  

Its ok during the day but sure is noticeable. The case regarding glasses,, lol I have antireflective coat and only happens in the heated front screen vehicle. does not happen when i drove the another car. 

I'm used to it, most of our trains have them in their windscreens, so I don't notice it at all, you just have to learn to look through and beyond them, with a little bit of patience and practice it's easy and once mastered you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Had the same issue in my old focus and that's why didn't spec it on our l&k, would only consider again if it was the new style without visible elements.

Had the same issue in my old focus and that's why didn't spec it on our l&k, would only consider again if it was the new style without visible elements.

Had one of those and it wasn't a patch on the wires for actual defrosting. Often the blower had the screen defrosted from inside before it had much effect.

I do see the wires if I look, but I have had these screens for years so I don't even see them normally. 

Its one of those things like when someone says   "don't look at that" ...........its the first thing you do

I don't see the point anyway, open car and start, turn on windscreen defrost and rear screen and heated seat, get out and by the time the side windows have been done, wiped the rear window, the front can pretty much be done in seconds, or with the wipers.

I'd never get in a drive away with just the front and rear clear, so don't really need the screen anyway! :)

Edited by skyjawa

It's sort of comforting for me reading this since there was no heated windscreen option for my TSI engine. Was disappointed at the time of order :(  

Now that I know there is also a downside to it kinda makes me feel better   :notme:

Which is why I cancelled my original order and waited until it became available. There is no problem, you look through the screen and barely ever notice the elements. The upside is the safety angle and speed of clearing the screen in the winter. The pros massively outweigh the cons and if drivers jget headaches from driving a car with heated elements, I would suggest a trip to the opticians to check their eyesight and health is ok

• Like 2

Once you've had a heated front screen, you don't go back.

Picture the 17 year old office admin girlie getting into her rusty, 15 year old Ford Ka on a January morning in temperatures of -10C.

She pushes a button and browses her phone for new Facebook messages for 30 seconds whilst the car does the work.

Next door, her 40 year old neighbour, who is the managing director of ICI, stands there in his Gucci suit and uses a plastic device to scrape the windscreen of his £120k Mercedes.

• Like 2

Which is why I cancelled my original order and waited until it became available. There is no problem, you look through the screen and barely ever notice the elements. The upside is the safety angle and speed of clearing the screen in the winter. The pros massively outweigh the cons and if drivers jget headaches from driving a car with heated elements, I would suggest a trip to the opticians to check their eyesight and health is ok

What he said ^^^^^^^

I only noticed the elements in my screen the first couple of drives in it. 3 years later and the only other times in that period I've noticed it is when it's switched on and does a great job of clearing the screen. By the time the screen is clear the engine is still cold so wouldn't have done a damn thing to defrost the screen on blower power alone!

• 6 months later...

I drive a 2016 Ford Transit van with heated frontscreen. No problem at all, until winther time as I drive along dark country roads at night. Then the glare is unbelivable, I can hardly see anything when I meet cars with strong lights.

At first I thought "hell, that's a lot of idiot with Xenon kits", but I realise that not all of them does have those dreaded kits. Also "yellow-eyes" (halogen lamp) distracts me a lot.

And I do have proper glasses, and NO I don't se the wires.

The glare is not a problem on roads with street lights.

Only on dark outback roads.

When I go along the same roads at the same time at night in my '09 Pajero, I have noe such problems with glare.

I will try to get the windscreen replaced to one without heat.

Less than 20 days into heated screen ownership here, and I'm both really pleased and yet a little disappointed.

I'm pleased because this morning's light frost cleared quickly and easily, but slightly disappointed because at night, I see some oncoming car's headlights as having a slightly unusual pointy/triangular/halo effect as they come towards me. Its not a massive issue to be fair, but something I have noticed not having driven a car with a HS before.

I don't think the 'issue' I'm seeing would be enough of a problem for me not to choose a heated screen again, but I can see how it would affect some people. I need more time in the car to be sure how I feel about it, but as I don't do much night driving I don't think it'll be a problem. For the record, I wear glasses for driving and have had my eyes tested and had new glasses in the last few weeks.

I've had a loaner fabia for the past few days, which didn't have a heated screen. Got straight back into mine yesterday and didn't notice the heated screen. I drive to work in the dark and home in the dark now it's winter, and haven't noticed any halos or anything weird from other lights.

Only noticed the elements in the screen either in very bright sunlight or when the screens slightly steamed up, doesn't bother me in the slightest though, as someone mentioned earlier I think if the screen is kept clean it wouldn't be as noticeable..?

• 1 year later...

I have just recently purchased a Ford Kuga with heated windscreen. I find these absolutely annoying and I simply cannot get over it. I've contracted Ford locally in the hope that the windscreen is replaced. 

Old thread revival but I had Ford's for many years from the first Heated Screens through to when they started to fit them as standard to most models and up to around 2010.

The original screens actually had a lot heavier elements in that we have fitted today.

I've never had a problem and choose the option if buying new. When buying a used Mk3 it took me ages to find one with Winter Pack.

Lee

Likewise, I went out of my way to get a car with the winter pack including heated screen. I don’t understand the issue with them and I cannot fathom the logic of changing a heated screen to a non heated one!! Annoying my heated screen has a crack in it. Need to get that sorted soon!

I for one can understand the issue as I notice the filaments. At times they are quite bothersome. That said, on a winter's morning or during a blizzard they are all worth it so all in all would but them again. I recently drove a VW Arteon that had the new system, with a silver coating or whatever; it ni longer has filaments but rather an entire coating that conducts electricity to produce heat and it is a huge step up: impossible to notice and just as good. On the Octavia mk IV maybe?

I’m driving a rental Kuga at the moment and the elements are noticeable at certain focal points - more so when at traffic lights but less so when looking ahead at traffic flow.

I wouldn't have thought it severe enough to replace a screen though, winter benefits far outweigh the annoyance of catching sight of the elements I’d have thought.

Edited by KevC_Derby

Well the heated screen was one reason I bought Skoda After having quite a few Fords kicking around it was hard to lose that option. I see see the wires but only in certain lights, and they certainly don’t bother me.

Couple of things I have noticed. 

If the windscreen gets replaced don’t get talked into an ‘aftermarket’ screen. The heating is nowhere near as good as the original. Had 2 Ford screens replaced with original and the difference is marked.

The VW transparent film system is not as good as wires. We have one. Sometimes start a Ford, Skoda and VW at the same time. Nothing to choose between the Ford and Skoda but the VW is much slower to clear.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I'm new on this forum and I don't even own a Skoda, but a brand new Nissan with heated windshild and the problem is sow worse that I like to smash the windsheeld with a hammer. I got here searching for heated windshield glare problem.

For all the users, the problem is only during the night, only glaring the lights from the other vehicles. During the day,  I can see the heating filaments if I focus on them but they don't bother me at all. During the day the vision is crystal clear.

The problem is the "glare" during the night from the incoming vehicles and from the break lights of the vehicles in front (the lights look like stars). Picture attached (the second picture is edited in order to show the problem itself).

Please don't tell me to "get use to it", this is nothing to get use. The filaments themselves don't bother me at all, the refraction pattern created bothers me. I don't wear glasses, my vision is perfect, I'm young. The problem is the glare! Did you encountered something simmilar?

night-driving-accidents-alabama.jpg

parbriz2.jpg

The car is brand new, the wind shield looks crystal clear during the day, the car only has 15km on board.