Winters on !

Compared to your existing wheel, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is 16mm further away from the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 16mm more than before. 

But if I'm to be honest I'm really not sure what that means in real world terms.

What it means is the tyre sidewall is going to be 16mm closer the the bodywork (wheel arch) of the car, are your current wheel 7” wide though? as that makes the world of difference! 

A quick google reveals they are indeed 7.5”

So because the winters are ½ narrower you end up with 17mm more clearance on the inside (by the shock absorber) and 5mm closer to the bodywork... 5mm is negligible so you should be fine.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

post-133138-14479499501431_thumb.jpg

Just fitted them on monday.

Nokian's D3 225/45/17

Rims are obviously Audi's leftover (previous car), 4F0 601 025 AF Z17:

7,5 x 17 ET45

BTW I cant see any crucial difference comparing to Gemini 18", except colour. They even look nicer than I thought they will [emoji12]

Poslano sa mog Mi-4c koristeći Tapatalk

Hi,

I've just replaced my Octavia 4x4 (2004 and 180 00 happy miles) with a Mk3 2.0 tdi 4x4. I've got 18" alloys fitted (225/40/R18 so assume my old winter wheels-195/65/R15 on steel wheels won't fit. Would 205/55/R16 be suitable on 16" steel rims ( eg Alcar KFZ 8667 from Oponeo) ?

Edited by Fellside

BBC weather predicting Arctic air, chills and snow flurries coming Saturday.   Time to get the winter tyres on?

Coincidentally fitted my Weatherproofs this morning. 200+ miles done and almost pleased to encounter a very wet M6.
  • Like 1

well i've got mine done.  Measured my continentals as they came off.  After 9700 miles fronts are at just under 5mm (near side worn a teenie bit more than offside) and rears just on 6mm.  Looks like i'lldo a diagonal swap when they go back on and I ought to get another 10k

Got a new set of Nokian WR A3's on my vRS yesterday. Must say I'm impressed with them so far with regards to the ride they give compared to the summers. Not noticed any increased road noise (in fact would even go so far as to say they're less noisy than the summer tyres were...) whereas the first thing I noticed on my last car, an Audi A4, on leaving the tyre depot, was how much more noisy the Michelin Alpins were than the ones that had come off.

With the weather temps apparently set to plummet in the UK from this weekend, I might get a chance to comment on how well they behave in the white stuff too unfortunately  :notme:

Put mine on this morning. Bit of a bonus that the centre caps are the same size as the standard wheels so they look like skoda wheels (ish). Bad news is after only 600 miles the wife has caught one of the standard wheels. Only very slightly fortunately.

The tyres are goodyear ultragrip gen 1.

post-133987-0-51969000-1448101573_thumb.jpg

post-133987-0-13711300-1448101612_thumb.jpg

Bit of a bonus that the centre caps are the same size as the standard wheels so they look like skoda wheels (ish). 

Borbet also make some of the OE Škoda wheels which is why your caps fit.... bonus.

Seems like everyone jumped on the same day or so!

Swapped mine yesterday.

Rims are 7J x 16 (from when we had the Yeti), tyres are Goodyear Ultragrip 9's

Car is MY16 supplied with 16's from new. I used my old green Skoda hub's as the salt will eventually damage them and lead to the horrible white worm that you see from time to time.

Silver and Black ones tucked up warm and dry for the winter ;-)

oct_front.jpg oct_rear.jpg

Not sure if I will be able to get my winter wheels on my car this year - currently not allowed to lift anything heavy. 

I should be able to drive again early this week, my car currently has snow all over it and more forcast

Snow forecast here for Sunday with some flurries today, so happy I installed mine this week.

Went with Skoda Crystal Black alloys with ContiWinterContact 850's but had to wait well over a month as on back order. Carry chains and these 6Jx17 alloys are the ones certified in the book for chains - it can matter here with police/insurance/testing (mostly testing as they have an eye for non-OEM and then you need all the paperwork). Was thinking some BBS but can just be more hassle. Look alright.

Did my first drive on the Ultragrip 9's last night, well impressed, and this was just on cold dry roads. Very quiet and gave the impression that the car was well planted on the road. On the Yeti I had Hankook's and these were good too, but I think I am going to prefer the Goodyears.

Will find out once its gets wet / or icy. 

Question regarding the storage of my tyres; As both myself and my wife's car have their tyres swapped over to winters (I know, but I'm going to be looking out for some decent alloys for both of us over the next few months so we can just swap over the wheels....) I'm a bit stuck for space for the replaced summer ones. For the moment,  I've put them stacked up behind our garden shed in a reasonably sheltered spot with overhanging hedge covering most of the area they're in.

Has anyone here stored theirs outside over the winter without any adverse effects (I'm thinking here that the inside of the tyres are exposed to the elements and that might be an issue!)

Glad I had my Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8's put on some days ago - looks like the studs will be a lifesaver the next days due to hot weather during the day, and freezing in the nights.

Question regarding the storage of my tyres; As both myself and my wife's car have their tyres swapped over to winters (I know, but I'm going to be looking out for some decent alloys for both of us over the next few months so we can just swap over the wheels....) I'm a bit stuck for space for the replaced summer ones. For the moment,  I've put them stacked up behind our garden shed in a reasonably sheltered spot with overhanging hedge covering most of the area they're in.

Has anyone here stored theirs outside over the winter without any adverse effects (I'm thinking here that the inside of the tyres are exposed to the elements and that might be an issue!)

Ideally you should keep them dry and not allow condensation to form on them, especially on the inside which isn't designed for exposure.

Is there noone who can offer you some shed space where you can store them covered in some old blankets?