DPF removal check to be part of UK MOT test from February 2014

mannyo

Can I ask a quick question regarding the regens, as my next car will be a big dirty diesel!!

Theres all this stuff about using extra fuel to burn off the soot etc etc. But if your engine is nice and hot, and you are going along nicely over 2000rpm, does it use extra fuel, or can the hot exhaust do the job without extra fuel?

Im sure something i saw, said the extra fuel was only needed if a regen was required whilst the engine was cold, or whilst going slow/ idling.

Oh, and nice article you found Seconi. Needless to say, I intend to use BP Ultimate/ Shell V Power.

I use V power petrol, and i intend to keep going with the new car.

V power petrol is definitely cost effective, due to the extra MPG I get, so ive no doubt V power diesel will be the same. Not to mention the benefits for the engine

V power petrol is definitely cost effective, due to the extra MPG I get, so ive no doubt V power diesel will be the same. Not to mention the benefits for the engine

You might be disappointed. I and a few others here have found a decreased MPG with vpower diesel (I got 38, measured brim to brim over 3 tanks keeping my commute exactly the same as before, using cruise heavily).

You might be disappointed. I and a few others here have found a decreased MPG with vpower diesel (I got 38, measured brim to brim over 3 tanks keeping my commute exactly the same as before, using cruise heavily).

I used, for several years, to use V-Power Diesel having done a back-2-back vs. BP Ultimate, but found when they upgraded(?) to the Nitro+ about a year ago IIRC the mpg went up and performance went down; the engine didn't seem to have the same umph of low down torque and my DSG g'box would change up later.

I tried out BP Ultimate again, having researched and found it has a higher cetane rating, and found my CR diesel runs sweeter and with more umph and better mpg than on Nitro+.

Just my personal experience of course; not a recommendation!

Guy

I used, for several years, to use V-Power Diesel having done a back-2-back vs. BP Ultimate, but found when they upgraded(?) to the Nitro+ about a year ago IIRC the mpg went up and performance went down; the engine didn't seem to have the same umph of low down torque and my DSG g'box would change up later.

I tried out BP Ultimate again, having researched and found it has a higher cetane rating, and found my CR diesel runs sweeter and with more umph and better mpg than on Nitro+.

Just my personal experience of course; not a recommendation!

Guy

Thats true. BP Ultimate Diesel is meant to be a higher cetane rating. So by rights should be better

I'm running a 2007 VRS pd170 with the EGR removed, DPF gutted and stage one map.

Spoken to a mate in the trade today and he said "if its visualy there that will be good enough", poking around in cramped engine bays with the "corrosion tool" wont happen.

I'm guessing the legislation will be the same for my "missing" EGR valve, but unless the tester lifts the bonnet cover they wont know.

So my usual pre MOT procedure will be as follows, clean car from top to bottom and wipe the tail pipes, give it a good run out prior to test and get it hot.

car passes the smoke test at the moment by the way :rock:

I can't see us getting anywhere with this until the tests start happening and even then it is going to depend on what the tester is like and how the DPF has been removed.

That said a question that springs to mind, not sure if it has been asked already, what happens when you sell the car if the buyer asks about the DPF and it subsequently fails an MOT on this? I can see it being a standard question for buyers, certainly traders who will be more conscious of the comeback on them for selling it on with no DPF.

Or for those not in the know, like me!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EN_590

Please don't let this turn into another supermarket vs. premium fuel thread.

Just a point that bs en 590 is the standard for fuel, so if a car can't run on it without problems, the defacto it is not fit for purpose.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry dated 12th December 2013, concerning the new DPF regulations.

Like all other aspects of the MOT test, a defect has to be positively identified before a refusal can be issued. Therefore, the benefit of the doubt would have to be given if a tester is unsure if the insides of a dpf have been removed and it still passes the emissions tests.

I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,

Robert Evans

Customer Service Centre Agent

Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | The Ellipse, Padley Road, Swansea, SA1 8AN

Phone: 0300 123 9000

Incorporating the Driving Standards Agency and Vehicle and Operator Services Agency.

Find out more about government services at www.gov.uk/vosa

The staff at the VOSA Customer Service Centre are keen to hear your feedback on the service that they provide for you. This will enable us to further understand customer requirements and make improvements where possible. Please take a few moments to complete our Customer Service Centre Customer Feedback form by clicking here

Stay informed: Sign up for free email alerts and newsletters from VOSA Direct.

This is the answer to an e-mail I sent a couple of days ago. Why bring in a new Law if it can't be proven??

There is an emissions test for diesels in the works, so it will matter.

Plus, this new rule isn't pointless, it means DPF deletes are no longer a grey area as there is finally specific text that refers to the DPF explicitly by name being required for the vehicle to pass the test.

• Like 2

Surely if the DPF has obviously been removed and replaced with a straight pipe it will be a failure

Unless hidden by an undertray or similar. Remember it is only a visual inspection of parts they can see without removing panels. 

Dear Sir/Madam, Thank you for your e-mail enquiry dated 12th December 2013, concerning the new DPF regulations. Like all other aspects of the MOT test, a defect has to be positively identified before a refusal can be issued. Therefore, the benefit of the doubt would have to be given if a tester is unsure if the insides of a dpf have been removed and it still passes the emissions tests. I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again. Kind Regards, Robert Evans Customer Service Centre AgentDriver and Vehicle Standards Agency | The Ellipse, Padley Road, Swansea, SA1 8ANPhone: 0300 123 9000Incorporating the Driving Standards Agency and Vehicle and Operator Services Agency. Find out more about government services at www.gov.uk/vosa The staff at the VOSA Customer Service Centre are keen to hear your feedback on the service that they provide for you. This will enable us to further understand customer requirements and make improvements where possible. Please take a few moments to complete our Customer Service Centre Customer Feedback form by clicking hereStay informed: Sign up for free email alerts and newsletters from VOSA Direct. This is the answer to an e-mail I sent a couple of days ago.

Why bring in a new Law if it can't be proven??

This is exactly what i said a few pages back :D

And the reason is simple.

The MOT test is designed to take around 1 hour. It is an inspection test + other than checking for play + tapping possible rotten areas there is NO diagnosing of faults or investigation of causes of faults.

It is a basic test + when adding test items there is only so much they can ask a tester to do. A visual test is acceptable because you are already doing a visual check of this area under the car. Any extra "diagnosis" would not be added to the MOT due to nature of the test.

MOTs are designed to test the BASIC roadworthiness.

Testers are trying to determin if the vehicle is roadworthy we are not detectives and the test is alot more biased to passing not failing cars.

Any doubt in a testers mind is an advisory. To fail you need to be 100% sure it is a failure.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by mattvrestate

You are correct Graham, there isn't a DPF that is just a straight pipe, so it will stand out a mile if that's been done.

Also everyone please note, just because there may be an under tray on your car, it does'nt hide everything, and if your vehicle had a DPF fitted from the factory and you take it off, the vehicle will then be blowing soot particles into the atmosphere, which as we all know is now illegal. Also (correct me if I'm wrong) Most DPF's can be viewed from the top of the engine. So as the saying goes, "you take your chance", but don't whinge if you get caught out.