vRS: Fraying seats or Fuzzing seat material. You had this problem?

vRS: Fraying seats or Fuzzing seat material. You had this problem?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. vRS: Fraying seats or Fuzzing seat material. You had this problem?

• Yes, I have this problem
    • No, I have not had this problem

I have noticed today that on the driver side on the lower seat part that the material is folded as if the material is not pulled tight around the seat. Has anyone else had this problem?

The first time it happened, aye.

Well, I say aye, my problem was the back-rest of the front passenger seat. The foam underneath had effectively folded over underneath so leaving the covering fabric baggy and sagging.

Anyone else?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The foam underneath had effectively folded over underneath so leaving the covering fabric baggy and sagging.

On my new VRS the foam was bumpy on the rear of passenger seat.

Checked four other new cars and the it was same to varing degrees.

Got the seat swapped - although I could have lived with it.

Worse are the plastic bases underneath the rear seats if you have them.

Lift the seats up and look at the crappy plastic. Mine were all cracked - again changed but still a very poor fit. Such a cool car is let down by the seats.

PS the colour of the seats and oily mechanics do not go together!

PS the colour of the seats and oily mechanics do not go together!

I wouldn't stand for that, I am sure that they'll sort you out so long as you tell them.

All the best.

Just checked under my sons booster seat (plastic type) and it's gone all fuzzy where the booster rests! :eek:

I have a feeling that it won't be covered under warranty!!

I'm looking to replace with leather when funds allow!! Maybe next year?? :(

Just checked under my sons booster seat (plastic type) and it's gone all fuzzy where the booster rests! :eek:

I have a feeling that it won't be covered under warranty!!

I'm looking to replace with leather when funds allow!! Maybe next year?? :(

I think you should make a point of lodging a complaint no matter. What should you do otherwise? Not have kids? Surely they will have tested booster seats on the vRS, or are these cars only sold to childless-singles who don't actually use their cars?

Your car is waaaaay to young for them to baulk at your case. Make reference to this thread when you report it to your dealer and Skoda UK please. Thank you.

*** NEWS UPDATE ***

Another Skoda UK representative named Kelly called me 5-days ago to say that my seat covering(s) were "...on the plane being taken by our senior technician for review by Skoda HQ" and "...you should hear no later than 7 November on their findings".

I await their reply.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry. I was holding out for better news...

Skoda UK called me on the 9th. They said that Skoda HQ had reported nothing and we were [all] left at their mercy.

On the fraying, any dealer will resolve your car, so long as it is within warranty.

I've just emailed Skoda UK too with regard to this seat issue. I have only done 6500 miles and the seat looks like it's going to sprout some small holes very soon on the side support, so fingers crossed!!

My dealer told me that they would not be covered by the Skoda warranty as last time they rectified someone's seat and sent Skoda the bill, Skoda refused to pay!! Apparently it's a wear and tear issue so's not covered. Wear and tear of this amount in such a short time is unacceptable in my eyes. If Skoda want to stay in the top 10 every year on the Top Gear survey this really is an issue they need to address. :mad:

This is a direct quote from the SkodaAuto New Vehicle Warranty - 04/02:

SkodaAuto New Vehicle Warranty

Settlement

Any dispute relating to or arising under the terms of this warranty shall be referred in the first instance to an authorised Skoda Retailer who will where appropriate liaise with SkodaAuto.

In the event of failure to reach a solution, the customer may refer details to:

Skoda Customer Service Centre

PO Box 114

Wallington Surrey SM6 7QJ

Telephone; 0845 7745 745 Fax: 020 8288 2440

e-mail: [email protected]

If you still remain dissatisfied you may refer the matter to:

Consumer Affairs Department

SMMT Ltd

Forbes House

Halkin Street

London SW1X

These terms of warranty do not in any way affect the statutory rights of the consumer.

This is not strictly true. UK-sourced Skoda Fabia vRS cars benefit from a 3 year or 60' date='000 miles warranty[/b'] (whichever is got to soonest).

Take no cr@p from dealers. This is premature wear. Make no mistake.

All the better you

Hi' date='

Long time no speak proves that the Skoda Fabia vRS is truely streaks ahead of the MINI (Cooper S) in terms of build quality! Hooray!

But.

My vRS's seat coverings have had to be replaced 3 perhaps 4 times now. Skoda UK are asking me to write them a letter to demand action from Skoda CZ as they are saying that they have "...never had this problem reported to them". This I find at odds with what I was being told in that not only have I had mine replaced numerous times, but also I know that the West Midlands area Skoda Techincal Manager has had his done at my dealer too! It all seems very weird to me.

Can you please, via the poll above, tell me and others whether any of you have had your Fabia vRS seats showing premature wear like mine. Here are a pair of links to pictures of my seat wear. I have side air-bags too, it is to be noted, so I CANNOT use seat covers.

http://www.briskoda.net/gallery/files/1/2/7/7/front_passenger_seat_bolster_wear_after_2500_miles-med.jpg

http://www.briskoda.net/gallery/files/1/2/7/7/front_drivers_seat_bolster_wear_after_2500_miles-med.jpg

I really need your help on this one, so the more the merrier. Please comment!

(See also http://www.briskoda.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10638&page=3&pp=15 and more importantly, http://www.briskoda.net/forums/t6419-.html)

THANK YOU! :thumbup:

*** UPDATE ***

I have just been told by the operator that I am dealing with at Skoda UK, that she knows of no one else that has reported this problem either through their official website, or through the phones.

Can I just ask anyone that has this problem to contact Skoda UK on 08457 745 745. Can I also ask that you use their website to report the problem officially via this link http://www.skoda.co.uk/skoda3g/content/contactus/contactform.aspx

I am dealing with an operator named Natasha who is liasing with Skoda HQ.

Together we can resolve this to make the vRS a better car!

Thank you.

I've reported my seat wear to Skoda.

Putting my plastic briefcase behind the driver seat has caused the front edge of the rear seat to go fuzzy in 2 months. Never had a car do this before. Put it in the boot now. Definitely the worst seat material I've had the dubious pleasure of owning !:mad:

• 3 weeks later...

So

Taking delivery of a VRS on 22nd December. Should I:-

1. Fit some seat covers

2. Wait until the seats fray and take it to the dealer.

3. Is the problem still happening?

I have severe wear on drivers seat, at 35k miles also loud creaking from drivers seat frame. Anyone else had this?

Changing the subject slightly I have a mystery clunk from n/s/f, the dealer eventually decided it was the n/s gearbox mounting and welded some plates onto it taking out some movement, 10k miles & it's back.........

Mart.

*** NEWS UPDATE - FINAL JUDGEMENT FROM SKODA CZ ***

Today I received a call from my contact at Skoda UK, a lady named Natasha.

Skoda HQ have "exhaustively tested" my seat fabric, and CANNOT SEE ANY PROBLEMS.

They said that "external forces for instance the fabric of occupants clothes, velcro, buckles, studs or the seatbelt may be causing this problem. All the test showed that the fabric was 'within tolerance' of faults and was not a poor quality material".

My wife and I are 35 years old. We don't wear clothes with velcro, buckles, studs or zips on the backs of. We have no children. We have no pets. We don't even eat or drink in the car. We paid [the dealer] for a special coating on the seat fabrics in good faith that it would protect it from soiling.

I was told that my report was the only one that has been made clear to Skoda HQ, and there are no others.

I was told that Skoda do not repond to singular claims of faults, but have to recieve a "great number" of reports before they take action.

Skoda HQ and UK now refuse to replace the seat facing whether as a goodwill gesture or to conceed there is even a problem.

They say the matter is closed.

We'll see.

Thanks everyone, sounds like you are all being called a bunch of liars to me. :thumbdwn:

So

Taking delivery of a VRS on 22nd December. Should I:-

1. Fit some seat covers

2. Wait until the seats fray and take it to the dealer.

3. Is the problem still happening?

1). Not if you have side airbags like me you can't' date='

2). After my judgement, YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE WITH THIS PROBLEM WILL NOT GET THEM REPLACED,

3). Yes.

Speechless.

Anyone frustrated enough to think about contacting Watch Dog on the BBC. Nothing to loose really. They did an article a year or so ago about a batch of Landrover Disco TD5 engines seizing at 60,000 miles due to some dipstick not putting the oil pump together properly during manufacture. LR issued a formal response and effectively admitted it was their poor QA that caused the problem.

My rear seat is fuzzy at 2500 miles but is not a bad example because due to this thread I stoppped putting my case in a position where it touched the seats. Its Skoda's refusal to admit there is a problem that really annoys.

I say lets do it and go to Watchdog - we have lots of evidence. I have been waiting months for my second new cover - no sign of it coming yet.

Anyone else think we should turn up the heat?:mad:

Go for the Watchdog option, it worked a while ago when VW had a problem with coil packs, that was highlighted on Watchdog as a result of customer complaints, and now VW and Skoda replace all four free of charge when one of the older ones packs up.

What have we got to lose???????