Reflection From internal chrome into Rear view door mirrors

Pleased that you are both able too live with it. :think:

Good that we are all different :angel:

It's not a case of living with it, I can't see it unless I look for it, I prefer to use my mirrors to see what's happening behind me, not look at obscure reflections.

Have to agree at first it was anoying and now I concentrate on what I need to see. What can I realistically do to stop it? In my opinion nothing so live with it and concentrate on driving.

Pleased that you are both able too live with it. :think:

Good that we are all different :angel:

Not wishing to prolong the point & this is constructive & not critical, but what do you do when driving at night with the glare from other vehicle lights & street light reflections on the bonnet & windows?

No way can the blame for those be attributed to vehicle designers. Having driven endless types of vehicles for well over 50 years glass reflections have never posed me a problem.

Edited by kalpat

Not wishing to prolong the point & this is constructive & not critical, but what do you do when driving at night with the glare from other vehicle lights & street light reflections on the bonnet & windows?

No way can the blame for those be attributed to vehicle designers. Having driven endless types of vehicles for well over 50 years glass reflections have never posed me a problem.

I get your protracted points.

However, we put up with the natural variables / that's a given. 

But a good design /development team do not add too them.

That is my main criticism.

Sorry but we will obvious agree too differ in our opinions.

We are also of similar age and no doubt driving experience.

Good too see at last, other people are picking up on the Thread issue  in parts of  other Threads, so we can't be all wrong and joked into submission.

So, what would you like to see Skoda do about it? Is it a fault, a design flaw?

My humorous reply was not intended to insult in any way (if it has). I've had to look on life with all it's annoying flaws be it an object or otherwise and prioritize on what really matters hence why I get by with mild humour, I'd be in a padded cell now if I hadn't.

I really do hope you find a solution to the problem you have encountered.

Edited by Pumatron
  • Like 1

Guest Cossiecol

Is there not any after market products you could get to replace the chrome with? I.e. Matt black? Off the top of my head ABT did a lot of bits like that for one of my old cars.

I haven't personally checked and therefore only shooting from the hip.

IMHO chrome shiny finish inside (steering wheel included) makes no sense and obviously create parasitic reflections, under the sun or under tunnels, to say the least.

I was disappointed to see that MkII face lift introduced those ugly parts.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I noted from the internal photos of the Golf GTI v Octavia vRS v Kia comparison in Car mag last edition over Christmas ,that the air vent on the Golf has a black plastic surround-negating the internal reflection.

Perhaps VW can do some things better that Skoda then!  

Drive through Blackwall Tunnel most days on the way to work. having read the comments I had a look at soom reflections in my Elegance, front window vents i.e. the ones on top of the dash, the light switch by my right knee, tunnel lights refect on to front and back windows and if I look hard I can see the heating elements in the windscreen. and yes the first thing I noticed when test driving a mk3 was the vent trims in the door windows.

All glass wil reflect when you look at it from a angle including your computer or smartphone screen that we are using now.

Drive through Blackwall Tunnel most days on the way to work. having read the comments I had a look at soom reflections in my Elegance, front window vents i.e. the ones on top of the dash, the light switch by my right knee, tunnel lights refect on to front and back windows and if I look hard I can see the heating elements in the windscreen. and yes the first thing I noticed when test driving a mk3 was the vent trims in the door windows.

All glass wil reflect when you look at it from a angle including your computer or smartphone screen that we are using now.

However, not the same potential safety implication though.

The only reflection that bothers me is the interior door handles as they reflect right in the door mirrors.

It's not as if the obscure anything but they can be a distraction as if caught myself glancing at the mirror and I think something is there where it's just been the damn handle!

• Like 1

Noticed this on a courtesy car that I was lent last week whilst my mk2was having its rearwiper unit changed,tbh after about half an hour driving I didnt notice it any longer,it was mainly the vent surrounds,the mk 2as previously stated has a few reflections so I didnt expect any different,and i hopefully wont notice the ones on my mk3 when I get it in march

Agreed, once you spot it you tend to focus on it, seemingly making it worse.

I find that if you drive for a while, it becomes less of a distraction.

Yes, it is true that you start to live with the reflections and it's also true that every glass reflects to some extent from xertain angles.

However here the dashboard vents are so big and high on the dashboard, their reflection on the windscreen is too high and sometimes crosses your vision. Obviously they have sacrificed this in order to improve ventilation in the car. IT IS a design issue in my opinion.

Also the side chrome vents and the mirror switch are always visible when you look at the mirror. This is also a design issue, as it is related to the interior layout and lightening.

Overall I am not happy with it, but as a package the car is a blast so I'll let them have that :)

Question for those that have noticed this, as I don't have mine yet. Would differences in driver height have any effect on this?

Only slightly. It is just that the position of dashboard vents, mirrors knob and door handles are positioned relatively high.

For example my wife's Toyota is different, there these items are lower at the door and windscreen vents are deeper below the windscreen - so no such reflections there

Covered my chrome trim round the vents with black adhesive tape: only as wide as necessary to cover the trim. Reflections have disappeared and I rarely notice the tape now. Will try my dealer for some "proper" black vent surrounds come service time though.

Whilst I'm not convinced about this being an issue as my car isn't here yet but, I do think you guys have gone at this the wrong way round. 

Glare inside the new car is a great excuse for new Oakleys not bits of tape stuck here & there at least, thats the line I'll be using on the wife.

Regards

T

• Like 1

Becoming a pain in the arse, a design short coming!

Amazed Skoda development engineers didn't pick this up. Perhaps they always drive in the dark.

Potential safety issue in summer sun-when we get it!

What do you think?

Being in the Australian summer at the moment where we get plenty of sun it's not an issue. Only notice it occasionally in certain conditions.

Much better than my Landcruiser where reflections from the midday sun obscure the whole instrument cluster. And that's a car designed for summer conditions.

• Like 1

Yes, it is true that you start to live with the reflections and it's also true that every glass reflects to some extent from xertain angles.

However here the dashboard vents are so big and high on the dashboard, their reflection on the windscreen is too high and sometimes crosses your vision. Obviously they have sacrificed this in order to improve ventilation in the car. IT IS a design issue in my opinion.

Also the side chrome vents and the mirror switch are always visible when you look at the mirror. This is also a design issue, as it is related to the interior layout and lightening.

Overall I am not happy with it, but as a package the car is a blast so I'll let them have that :)

Trust me the vents aren't big enough on a hot day.

This thread is quite amusing, if you look hard enough you can find fault with anything. Just enjoy the car.

• Like 2