Won't start/ turn over

bowen

Gents,

Last few mornings when starting the car the power steering wouldn't kick in, turned off then back on again the PAS would be there.

Now today when starting the car nothing, it won't turn over. All electrics come on and work as should wipers, lights, CD player etc

Jump stared it with leads to another car and it turns over?

Any ideas.?

I'm assuming the battery has had it, but all electrics work and nothing is going dim or slowing down (wipers)

Cheers

Had the same issue with mine Lloyd I changed the battery the following day haven't had an issue since.. Bosch S5 i got, brilliant battery.

next time get the equivalent Varta battery, made in the same factory to the same spec but usually cheaper :)

• Like 1

Had the battery tested at idle 12.1 volts not so good, and the alternator was the same.

I revved the engine, turned the lights rear heated screen and the volts from both the battery and alternator went up 14.1?

Some one help?!

Had the battery tested at idle 12.1 volts not so good, and the alternator was the same. I revved the engine, turned the lights rear heated screen and the volts from both the battery and alternator went up 14.1? Some one help?!

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave previously.

The battery's had it.

You just proved it, 12.1V is no good at all, I'm willing to bet that on a cold morning during starting the voltage is dropping below 12V even if you manage to get it to start.

I'm not saying that a reconditioning charger like a CTEK one won't bring the battery back enough to get you through, but such a charger is more expensive than a new battery if you don't have one available. Your choice really.

• Like 1

Guest BigJase88

Battery may be fine

You alternator load sensor wire has broken above the gearbox, thats why you aren't getting 14.4V at idle

Kicks in once you rev it passed 1500rpm

You won't get 14.4V with a full load on it like the OP describes, 14.1V suggests the alternator is working ok, it's just that the battery isn't holding enough depth of charge and is exhausted, it needs a full recharge which is why the ECU cuts the PAS once the car has started.