vRS real MPG

Whether TheWanderer had 1/4 or 1/8th of a tanks worth of fuel before filling doesn't really matter. Filling up with 51.66l would imply that his tank is certainly larger than 50l. This leaves 55l or 60l as the most probable outcomes.

Assuming the tank is just 1/8th full, and that his tank size is 55l doesn't really work because 55/8 = 6.875. Adding the 51.66l fill-up to 6.875 = 58.535l.

So, my presumption is that TheWanderer's tank must be 60l, or his local Garage are massively under-filling.

Edited by Orville

So, my presumption is that TheWanderer's tank must be 60l, or his local Garage are massively under-filling.

Well it's unlikely Skoda made him a one off 60L tank.  The only real explanation is the pump he used was incorrectly calibrated and he needs to be speaking to HM Revenue and Customs....

Think its more likely the petrol station, both myself and father have had issues, mine was I putting in 80ltr into a 50ltr tank and my father was asked to pay for 130 ltrs into a 80ltr tank.  On both occasions we told by petrol station their equipment is working properly and they insisted we pay up, sorted when police turned up and only had to pay what we thought had gone in.

Edited by crailton

I think the red area is just the reserve and to be honest didn't assume it was a quarter of a tank in mine. Pretty sure it wasn't quite as much to fill on my car from the same point on the gauge. I really would have liked a bigger tank though.

On another note, did a fill on mine today, before a quick day trip to France and Belgium tomorrow and got over 28mpg from mostly town work. Still only 650 or so miles done so far.

For the record one fill was BP Ultimate, filled at Merrow, the other was as shown at Shell Ladymead about 3 miles away.

The chances of both stations dispensing short measures or otherwise are remote.

Try running it down to near empty and let us know how much you fill it with, i'm really intrigued by this....

when you filled it back up, did you fill to the first click, or all the way to the filler cap?

I know my vRS is a MkII, but I can get easily get another 5 or 6 litres into mine from first click up to the top of the spout.

also, neily has a point - he said it was 1/4 full and it's nowhere near that.

Back on track ( and I couldn't care about mpg scrutiny as posted above) and hopefully some help to those considering the tsi I am now seeing close to 38 mpg per tank. Put this down to slightly milder weather as my driving style hasn't changed but I can't help take into account how quickly the tsi gets up to temp. Great for the winter, within a minute of start up you have warm air to cabin.

On current tank with 275 miles showing with a range of 150. Always tends to drop last quarter very quickly so I expect to see circa 360/370 miles on this tank. Makes me smile as for £ for £ against a family members mazda 6 diesel we are very close but I have the extra bang for the buck......

• Like 1

Out of curiosity I did a little experiment last week. I was working 30 miles from home, all country lanes bar 1 mile of dual carriage way. On the way in driving like Miss Daisy, 42mpg (which I was amazed at, always had petrol vrs's from mark 1 and never been near 40mpg) on the way home driving as "normal" :happy: 17mpg.  I'll let you work out the most fun journey :happy:  :happy:  :happy:  (Petrol)

Check the brochure - the 4x4 has a larger 'saddle' tank and dual fuel pumps because the prop shaft fouls the normal tank. Why the normal tank isn't larger I don't know/understand - I imagine weight control/CO2 emissions.

All the way to the top of the neck, brimmed it as they say.

You know that's really not recommended right? It's even stated in the manual. No wonder you were getting more fuel in the tank than the rest of us... :P

Fuel expands when warm so filling close to the neck brink may result is seepage after a short drive or on a warm day. A rise in temps of 20deg results in approximately 1% expansion, so heat may gain an effective 0.5l volume increase from full 50l tank.

• Like 1

Consistently getting 34.5mpg on commuting run and local shopping run outs. Mainly A and B roads level and hilly.

When involving motorway long runs with mixed A and B. then 39 mpg- with average speed in the sixties.

Best return to date 41.5,same driving style.

Car now at 5500 miles.

Majority of that done on 95 RON.

Currently experimenting with 97 RON then in March 99 RON. as members think will see improvements in UUMPH AND MPG.  

A rise in temps of 20deg results in approximately 1% expansion, so heat may gain an effective 0.5l volume increase from full 50l tank.

Bring on global warming, cause I've lived in the UK for all 47 of my years and have yet to see a 20 deg rise in tempature, even on the odd barmy day in summer when it hits 32-33 it was never as low as 12-13 the night before.  As we're talking about an occurance in the Surrey-burbs in February whilst, you have a factual point in reality, it ain't gonna make the slightest difference.

We all hate stopping for fuel so, we over fill or brim occasionally, its just natural.  Still think he's got a bigger tank than you, maybe we should re-name TheWanderer = BigTankvRS

Regards

T

Bring on global warming, cause I've lived in the UK for all 47 of my years and have yet to see a 20 deg rise in tempature, even on the odd barmy day in summer when it hits 32-33 it was never as low as 12-13 the night before.  As we're talking about an occurance in the Surrey-burbs in February whilst, you have a factual point in reality, it ain't gonna make the slightest difference.

We all hate stopping for fuel so, we over fill or brim occasionally, its just natural.  Still think he's got a bigger tank than you, maybe we should re-name TheWanderer = BigTankvRS

Regards

T

It's not just about the air temperature. The tank warms above ambient when the car is in use, and fuel is generally stored within cool underground storage before it is pumped it into your car. Variations of more than 20deg will not be so rare

It's not just about the air temperature. The tank warms above ambient when the car is in use, and fuel is generally stored within cool underground storage before it is pumped it into your car. Variations of more than 20deg will not be so rare

In February or, are you just telling us this for the summer months ? 

Regards

T