FSI vs TFSI MPG

There are people who seem to be getting better MPG out of a 2.0 TFSI than a 2.0 FSI.

Surprised by this as they are rated lower in the specs. Is this true around town? Is the MPG really better?

The most I've ever got from a tank was about 36mpg. Over the last 14k miles I've averaged 29mpg and that's mostly a road driving. I honestly don't know how people average mid thirty mpg.

The most I've ever got from a tank was about 36mpg. Over the last 14k miles I've averaged 29mpg and that's mostly a road driving. I honestly don't know how people average mid thirty mpg.

Hmmm, on the motorway I generally get 36mpg when using cruise set at 78/79 mph and 29 around town

That has not been my experience as a previous TFSI owner and now TSI. I have a very consistent 60 mile round trip commute of mixed town and country driving. I got a consistent 31.2mpg with the TFSI and 35.1 mpg with the TSI.

Mines very temperature sensitive. This weather I only get 24-26mpg on a run to work. in the summer I get 31-34 and I have got 44mpg before on a run to cornwall. But 40mpg is not uncommon for me on a motorway run partly why im loathed to replace it even though she is getting on a bit old (55 plate tfsi). Haven't tried the tsi so can't comment.

I do indeed mean the FSI. I have a prospect of buying an 2.0 FSI which is supposed to be rated at 27mpg Urban, not too bad. Real world results suggests high 20's low 30s. TFSI and TSI 2.0 engines seem to be rated, while the 2.0 TSI/TFSI seem to be lower in MPG and higher in CO2.

Thanks for the messages so far. Looks like getting 29mpg Urban is a bit hit and miss.

Thanks

Simon

I've got an almost idea commute mpg wise. 18miles on 60mph A road, no lights and only a few 30mph sections. I regularly get over 40mpg sionce changing the from tyres to Goodyear Efficient Grip.

70mph on the motorway I usually get 35mpg. Varies up and down a bit depending on the wind and temp.

Cold temp can knock 5mpg off until the car warms up.

Long term average for me right now is sitting a little over 36.

Not bad for a 200hp petrol.

Thanks guys. TSI/TFSI - nice idea then, but I don't think would be practical enough for me. Desperately want better MPG.

Thanks for your feedback. Im gathering general concensus, if I want MPG, Im better sticking with the FSI.

Simon

TFSI I managed around 30 on the motorway, once managed 36 by driving with the eggshell on th he accelerator method. Remapping it made little noticeable difference, maybe 1-2 mpg at most. Got around 27 around town. I'm getting around 35-37 from the tsi, managed over 40 a few times now driving at speed limits and not opening it up. Remapping it seems to add 2-3 mpg, but I'm sure it being newer and probably better wheel alignment etc helps.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. TSI/TFSI - nice idea then, but I don't think would be practical enough for me. Desperately want better MPG.

Thanks for your feedback. Im gathering general concensus, if I want MPG, Im better sticking with the FSI.

Simon

Sorry if I'm swearing here but if you desperately want better MPG then why aren't you looking at a diesel?

Edited by Sheldon.Cooper
  • Like 1

Sorry if I'm swearing here but if you desperately want better MPG then why aren't you looking at a diesel?

Because there isn't significantly that big a difference it makes it a hard choice. My 170CR best I have ever had is 62 but rarely in the 50's generally around the 45mpg mark, which isn't that far away from my tfsi at 33mpg not enough to sway people usually.

2.0L Tsi VRs F/L  Around town I roughly get 27/28 and on a sensible run I've managed 44. BUT I ain't really bothered what the MPG is as I bought it to enjoy, put a smile on my face, drive it hard ( roads permitting ) when I can, after all thats what it likes     :yes:  

I prefer Smiles per Miles

Because there isn't significantly that big a difference it makes it a hard choice. My 170CR best I have ever had is 62 but rarely in the 50's generally around the 45mpg mark, which isn't that far away from my tfsi at 33mpg not enough to sway people usually.

Odd, isn't it, that in these days of austerity, the prospect of knocking a third off of someone's fuel bill isn't enough to tempt them into a diesel...

Odd, isn't it, that in these days of austerity, the prospect of knocking a third off of someone's fuel bill isn't enough to tempt them into a diesel...

Doesn't that depend on mileage, journey types etc.?

Diesels are more expensive to buy initially, and diesel fuel is more expensive to buy.

The diesel is not always the most economical.

Bring on the smiles per mile  :sun:

• Like 1

When I bought mine, I needed an extra £3500 for the equivalent diesel VRS. I can buy a lot of petrol for £3500 and, arguably, I'm not going to see that benefit when I come to move that car on further down the line - I've done 24k in 22 months and that wouldn't have paid me back for buying a diesel car by now.

Your missing the point diesel is unquestionably more frugal however its a VRS generally being fuel economical is not the

no1 priority. If I want to go out for a thrash I take the petrol if its a boring commute I take the diesel. The fact that the diesel Fuel cost more and the car is likely to cost more TCO then the margin is close enough in real terms cash in your pocket to make the enjoyment of the free revving petrol much more attractive proposition. That said im astonished how close they have got the new CR170 To rev like a petrol compared to the old PD. Can't hide the fact its a clanky tractor underneath though and sound is a big chunk of the driver experience. If I couldn't have both I would sacrifice the diesel even though its newer. How did this become another diesel vs petrol thread. Get the TFSI simple!

Just checked on my Fuelly account for my readings...

30.8 average mpg

31.5 last mpg

38.0 best mpg

Most of mine is around town, although some dual carriageway runs.

The 38.0 best was on a trip to cornwall, a steady 70mph all the way.

That average is based upon 82 fill ups, starting in July 2011 (car was bought in Oct 2010)

In that time, spent £5085 on fuel, and covered 25167 miles

Fuelly works it out at 19.8p per mile

Hope that helps!

:happy:

Edited by sdwilliams72

Good question. i guess ultimately, at the 12,000 mile mark, I sit comfortably between Diesel and Petrol. The VAG PD Engines (140+) I've heard, umm, mixed reports over and I'd rather best avoid. The Mondeo PSA lumps don't offer fantastically great economy to justify the expense, and with the added complications of DPF filters and DMF's, Im a bit cagey when my work journeys are 10 mile either way coupled with lots of other shorter journeys.

However I do have a fair few motorway journeys, but I'd hate to have the more expensive CR engine or at least something with a DPF that will get clogged. So finding that one car that covers all bases seems to be a bit hit and miss for me at the moment. I'd have another Primera in a shot if I could find a good SE spec under £2k and less than 80k on the clock.

You may ask why not just a 1.9 TDI Octy, yes, except for unlike the Passat B5 or the Audi A4/A6, they don't have the 130 BHP equiv which I'd be looking for. Sadly the examples of those I've seen for £3k-£4k are very ropey and poor repairs to rear end shunts.

So far the better example is the FSI, but people are telling me the TFSI has better economy, but Im seeing no proof of this so far, either via the ratings on AutoTrader, or apparently, as borne out of the forum comments.