2014 F1 General Discussion Thread.

KenONeill

Pirelli had the tyres so wrong!!  

Should have been soft and super soft

Always a tough call when you go to a circuit for the first time, but yes, in hindsight they got it massively wrong.

AUIU they didn't get to use their usual "track abrasiveness testing machine" on the track either. 

They had very little to go on, no access to track, no previous data, so had to just go with a gut feeling. Hopefully next year they will provide a much better tyre.

Elsewhere, Tilke has revealed some rendered images of the Azerbaijan street circuit which will host the 2016 European GP - it will apparently be the tightest and narrowest parts of any circuit, when a section cuts through the old town of Baku:

turn-9-10-baku-5-reup-661x886.jpg

• Like 1

That does look tight, similar to racing round Macau. Maybe they'll have to have a no overtaking rule, although it'll be chaos if someone crashes in that section!

Perez would try it there :D
  • Like 1

Do we really want another street circuit in F1?

Monaco I can put up with, but the racing is usually dull, because it's difficult to overtake.

In a world without sponsor backing/ nationality influencing driver choice, and ignoring distant past performances as justification for current contracts, who would you eliminate from the current F1 grid as "dead wood"?

I could happily cull the following without blinking: Raikkonen Massa Sutil Rosberg Maldonado and Chilton. I can't think of one occasion any of them have impressed or even surprised me this year. I think Grosjean, Vergne or Hulkenberg would be alot closer to Hamilton on pace than Rosberg is at present. Thoughts?

In a world without sponsor backing/ nationality influencing driver choice, and ignoring distant past performances as justification for current contracts, who would you eliminate from the current F1 grid as "dead wood"?

I could happily cull the following without blinking: Raikkonen Massa Sutil Rosberg Maldonado and Chilton. I can't think of one occasion any of them have impressed or even surprised me this year. I think Grosjean, Vergne or Hulkenberg would be alot closer to Hamilton on pace than Rosberg is at present. Thoughts?

Mostly agree, but Rosberg isn't that bad - more poles than Ham for a start and not just because of mechanical reasons. He's quick enough to keep Lewis pushing. Grosjean is fast, Vergne not quite.  Hulkenberg has completely missed his chance  - these days he rarely beats Perez, who's slower than Button, who never got near Hamilton on pace etc etc.

• Like 1

Ericsson - totally out of his depth at nearly every race this year

and 2007 kimi wasn't that great - he was given it!

some time in the future the truth will come about about how and why McLaren threw the titles away in the last 2 races.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

Perhaps Rosberg was harsh, although he needs a step change right now to challenge for the series on merit, which IMO won't happen. I was over the moon Massa returned to F1, but a contract for next year, based on this years performance? Really? And Jenson/ Vergne might be out of a drive at the same time? Scandalous.

• Like 1

Arguably, Gutierrez has matched the more experienced Sutil this year. Unfortunately, I cant see Sauber being around for much longer/ climbing off the foot of the table, so this problem should remove itself. I know its contentious, but without budget caps, a 3rd chassis for 7 teams would be a more competitive grid than the back three teams at present. I remember Ford's dominant 3 car team in the supertouring era of the BTCC #properracing

Perhaps Rosberg was harsh, although he needs a step change right now to challenge for the series on merit, which IMO won't happen. I was over the moon Massa returned to F1, but a contract for next year, based on this years performance? Really? And Jenson/ Vergne might be out of a drive at the same time? Scandalous.

I think Massa was signed on a multi-year deal already and he's up against a future superstar I reckon.

So next year we could promote which young drivers?

Indycars -    Simon Pagenaud

NASCAR -   Joey Logano

FR3.5 -       Carlos Sainz jr

GP2 -          Stoffel Vandoorne

LMP1 -        Brendon Hartley

some of these have got to be better than the dead wood.

Edited by camelspyyder

I'd like to give Max C (and prior to his accident Jules) a better car and see exactly what they can do...  I think they have both done "ok" in a less than average car...

I'd cull:

Ericsson

Kobayashi 

Maldonado (safety car issue sorted)

Gutierrez

Raikonnen (Past his best)

JEV (tough one because he has done "okish" but not enough for me)

• Like 2

Max C?

Without Daddy's millions he wouldn't have a sniff of an F1 drive, come to that his brother wouldn't be in WTCC either.

If I'm being nice - he's better than Ericsson (see above)

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

Arguably, Gutierrez has matched the more experienced Sutil this year. Unfortunately, I cant see Sauber being around for much longer/ climbing off the foot of the table, so this problem should remove itself. I know its contentious, but without budget caps, a 3rd chassis for 7 teams would be a more competitive grid than the back three teams at present. I remember Ford's dominant 3 car team in the supertouring era of the BTCC #properracing

Hmmm. that is just so bad for Sutil.  Gutierrez is known to be slow and Sutil can't beat him - they've both got to go!